So Let's Pretend the NFL referreing isn't Fixed, Fire Blandino

patfitz

So the individual officials are sat down and told as a group or one on one that this team or that team must win? And not one of the hundreds of officials the NFL has employed has ever leaked this? The Mafia would admire such a a strict code of silence.

I think that's the wrong question to ask for a couple reasons, the first being that I suspect none of us has any knowledge of the inner workings of the NFL officials formal or informal organization and the second is such a question diverts the issue.

I think what you are trying to say is that because we are Bills fans, we perceive a bias against our team that in reality does not exist. And you make a fair point.

But by re-watching the game and evaluating calls that were made and not made on Sunday I observe a lack of consistency between the calls against each team. The Bills getting called for offensive PI for example, and the Pats getting away with in some cases, more blatant acts. Specifically when the score was 23-14 and the Bills were driving and you could sense the momentum of the game was swinging our way. Those PI calls against Woods and Watkins killed the drive (and Orton took a sack to knock them out of FG range) and killed the momentum. Gronkowski had an obvious push off on McKelvin at the goal line that should have been called but was ignored by the offical (this was called back on an O line hold). That said, the Bills had so many other blunders they probably didn't deserve to win the game anyway.

But my observations go beyond the Bills. I see calls against teams like the Rams, the Vikings, the Browns, and others. Last night for example there was a phantom offensive PI call against the Rams when they were driving with a 14-3 lead. Go up 21-3 and that game changes. Maybe they win, maybe not. But I am not a fan of the Rams or those teams. I have no bias or rooting interest in the outcome of these games. And yet I observe the same type of official bias and I see these bad calls that seem to go against the same teams from game to game and week to week.

I think there's absolutely no question the official favor certain players and certain teams. Do you believe they protect certain quarterbacks more than others? Or certain CB's can mug and hold a receiver and not get called while others get PI? Its' like in the NBA where Michael Jordan never got called for traveling or charging.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its more subtle than that. I think bad calls that go against favored teams and matchups receive greater scrutiny. And everyone knows that big markets and marquee matchups generate more money for everybody, the officials know their compensation comes from the same pot. Even a casual media observer would know which teams and players are favored.

The officials not long ago went on strike because they felt they were NOT getting their share of this gigantic pot of money. Yet you say they they are somehow willing to help the NFL make money with bad calls?

And if only the big market teams are getting the calls, why have the last 5 SBs included teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle, Denver, Baltimore, Indy, New Orleans...none of which is a top 10 market?

So you think its a coincidence the NFC east division with the highest concentration of big market teams leads the league in super bowl appearances and wins?

Philly has been in one SB in the past 34 years. Washington hasn't been in the SB in 22 years. Dallas hasn't been in the SB in 18 years--in fact, they have won only one playoff game in 17 years. And you see a "coincindence" in the playoff futility of the NFCE?

It's gotta hurt to think this way...

Why do big markets like Chicago and LA (in the day) get shafted, why doesn't the fourth largest market, Philadelphia have multiple super bowl championships, why didn't the NFL fix it for Dan Marino to get a championship.

Why does the NFL consistently let Green Bay and Pittsburgh win.

Why did the gigantic Indianapolis market get to have peyton manning then andrew luck.

This thread is ridiculous.

The conspiracy theories here are crazy talk. Secrets cannot be kept by a handful of random people let alone hundreds of people over decades. It is logical to think that there is possibly/likely a part of the human condition which produces a natural bias.....but to imagine an unnatural one coming from predetermined conspiracy stretches logic beyond limit.

The officials not long ago went on strike because they felt they were NOT getting their share of this gigantic pot of money. Yet you say they they are somehow willing to help the NFL make money with bad calls?

And if only the big market teams are getting the calls, why have the last 5 SBs included teams like Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle, Denver, Baltimore, Indy, New Orleans...none of which is a top 10 market?

Philly has been in one SB in the past 34 years. Washington hasn't been in the SB in 22 years. Dallas hasn't been in the SB in 18 years--in fact, they have won only one playoff game in 17 years. And you see a "coincindence" in the playoff futility of the NFCE?

It's gotta hurt to think this way...

Exactly, the officials are paying close attention to the pot.

In the past 10 years nfc east was in super bowl 30% of the time ... again a disproptionate amount.

I think for the most part the super bowl is evenly officiated, which makes sense because at that point the audience is locked in.

Offsetting penalties on a punt, the receiving team has the option of the play or a rekick. The Hoodie went for the rekick and lost 18 yards (ball was on the fiddy, ended up on the Cheats 32 on the rekick). No conspiracy here, move along.

Best post in the thread. No surprise that there are no responses to it. but but but the refs talk to Belicheck but not Marrone! :lol:

Exactly, the officials are paying close attention to the pot.

In the past 10 years nfc east was in super bowl 30% of the time ... again a disproptionate amount.

I think for the most part the super bowl is evenly officiated, which makes sense because at that point the audience is locked in.

The officials have no access to the pot. You are making no sense.

Also, the AFCN and the NFCW both have been represented 40% of the time in the last 10 SBs. How do you explain this even larger "disproportional amount"? Sounds like the NFCE should be complaining to the NFL about the officials...

You're way off with this nonsense.

No its more subtle than that. I think bad calls that go against favored teams and matchups receive greater scrutiny. And everyone knows that big markets and marquee matchups generate more money for everybody, the officials know their compensation comes from the same pot. Even a casual media observer would know which teams and players are favored.

Are the GB fans whining about bad calls against the small market teams? Probably not because GB has not sucked for the past 14 years.

The officials have no access to the pot. You are making no sense.

Also, the AFCN and the NFCW both have been represented 40% of the time in the last 10 SBs. How do you explain this even larger "disproportional amount"? Sounds like the NFCE should be complaining to the NFL about the officials...

You're way off with this nonsense.

No idea what you're trying to say on one hand officials went on strike to get more of the pot, on the other hand they don't care about the size. Of course they're bargaining position for pay increases is dependent on what's available.

And you tried to make the case nfce teams were lacking more recent super bowl apperances because Dallas hadnt been there in 18 years. Yet a sample for last 10 years again revealed nfce over representation

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

No idea what you're trying to say on one hand officials went on strike to get more of the pot, on the other hand they don't care about the size. Of course they're bargaining position for pay increases is dependent on what's available.

And you tried to make the case nfce teams were lacking more recent super bowl apperances because Dallas hadnt been there in 18 years. Yet a sample for last 10 years again revealed nfce over representation

The refs spent 10 (20? 30?) years "helping" the NFL get rich, yet they had to go on strike to get a tiny raise? Yeah, that's convinving logic.

You brought up your "coincidence" that the "big market" NFCE has been "over reperesented" in the SB and I have shown you that it's not true. The NFCW and the AFCN, which have a single top 10 market between them have clearly been represented in higher proportion than the "biggest market" NFCE.

Everything you are saying disproves each claim you are making.

Here's my $0.02. You want to calibrate and hold the officials to a higher standard? Publish their weekly report cards, and make it more transparant as to how they score out on the NFL's scale. I don't think they do that yet, so why not start?

And then what?

Here's my $0.02. You want to calibrate and hold the officials to a higher standard? Publish their weekly report cards, and make it more transparant as to how they score out on the NFL's scale. I don't think they do that yet, so why not start?

The officials work for the owners>>>>the owners don't want to be embarrassed>>>>the officials post game reviews will never be made public.

The officials work for the owners>>>>the owners don't want to be embarrassed>>>>the officials post game reviews will never be made public.

I guess that's kind of the direction I was going. The entire conspiracy theory that games are fixed will never go away because the league protects that information with their lives. It lends that idea to folks that games are rigged, because no one ever sees how officiating crews/individals are punished or reprimanded for blatantly incorrect calls during a game. Yes, we all know if they aren't rated high enough, they don't get playoff games and the Super Bowl, however it would only be a FIRST step to showing it's fans that the NFL doesn't have anything to hide in regards to it's officials.

Many of us will remember a Bills-Pats game when Bledsoe was still their QB. Close game, the Bills had the Pats stopped and were in position to win, the Pats complete a pass that's far from a first down, and one of the Bills players reports hearing one ref tell another one, "just give it to them." First down, Pats. Pats win. What's the relationship? That was Walt Coleman's crew too. Ralph was so mad about this he tried to get the league to stop assigning Coleman to Bills games.

Welcome to the big boy league, Mr Pegula. Deposit funds here, and bend over there.

There is no conspiracy or collusion. Walt Coleman has a history of controversial calls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Coleman

The particular incident you speak of ("just give it to them.") happened in 1998, IIRC.

In 1998, there was no instant replay. Officiating that year was a complete joke. Google Testeverde Helmet Touchdown.

There will always be controversy regarding officiating. Always has been.

I can remember when Bills fans used to B word about the officiating when Dolphins were kicking our ass pretty consistently.

Their rationale for their bitching? Don Shula was on the Rules Committee.

There is no conspiracy or collusion. Walt Coleman has a history of controversial calls.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Walt_Coleman

The particular incident you speak of ("just give it to them.") happened in 1998, IIRC.

In 1998, there was no instant replay. Officiating that year was a complete joke. Google Testeverde Helmet Touchdown.

There will always be controversy regarding officiating. Always has been.

I can remember when Bills fans used to B word about the officiating when Dolphins were kicking our ass pretty consistently.

Their rationale for their bitching? Don Shula was on the Rules Committee.

Someone should edit to include that article to include the '98 game. I knew he did that one. Did he also do the '01 game in Buffalo where the NE WR's unconscious head was touching the chalk while the ball was touching his leg in bounds? Never seen that one before or since.

I do remember '98 being an especially awful year. Was also the year of the cointoss controversy, and the Terrell Owens catch vs GB - a couple plays before that Jerry Rice fumbled.

Who is a Youtube/editing whiz who can put the clips together of all the bad calls from this game?? I for one will share far and wide! The refs should be held accountable for this game. It was that bad, and someone needs to call them out w/ evidence.

Unfortunately, the Woods OPI call is moot, because the Bills were also flagged for illegal formation on that play. It was a pretty blatant IF, because it looked to me like the Bills had only two men in the backfield, instead of the required 4. The two WR's on the ends of the formation lined up too close to the LOS. So either way, the Bills get pushed back there.

Unfortunately, the Woods OPI call is moot, because the Bills were also flagged for illegal formation on that play. It was a pretty blatant IF, because it looked to me like the Bills had only two men in the backfield, instead of the required 4. The two WR's on the ends of the formation lined up too close to the LOS. So either way, the Bills get pushed back there.

And these are exactly the stupid rules that need to be removed. Who the !@#$ cares if a WR is on the line or back a step from it.

The NFL is a 9 billion dollar per year money making machine, yet it is the only one of the four major team sports to have part time officials. I realize that the other three are in action throughout the week, and football is primarily a weekend thing, but part timers, in my opinion, result in wild inconsistency in officiating from crew to crew, and from officials within each crew.

Make these guys full time. Bring them to a central location each week, review the recent games, study film of upcoming teams, do some conditioning work, and get a single focused message from the league's supervisor of officials, reinforced in person, weekly.

Of course it will never happen, because after making money what the NFL likes to do most is keep money.