John Rzeznik to sing the National anthem

Look I love Buffalo but I'll take the New Jersey album over any of the weak s**t that the Goo Goo Dolls have come out with over the years. Not that I like Bon Jovi either but New Jersey was one of the first tapes I ever bought and Lay Your Hands On Me is a good video. Goo Goo Dolls are wicked cheese.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look I love Buffalo but I'll take the New Jersey album over any of the weak s**t that the Goo Goo Dolls have come out with over the years. Not that I like Bon Jovi either but New Jersey was one of the first tapes I ever bought and Lay Your Hands On Me is a good video. Goo Goo Dolls are wicked cheese.

WOW! JBJ is 1,000 more naco than the Goo Goo Dolls... And that's anything JBJ has done. Funny how people's taste goes. Maybe becuase it is the first tape you ever bought and just don't want to admit that you screwed up on the very first musical recording you ever bought? Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Just giving you sh*t... ;-P

WOW! JBJ is 1,000 more naco than the Goo Goo Dolls... And that's anything JBJ has done. Funny how people's taste goes. Maybe becuase it is the first tape you ever bought and just don't want to admit that you screwed up on the very first musical recording you ever bought? Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Just giving you sh*t... ;-P

Dude I do not like Bon Jovi either. But give me a Goo Goo Dolls tune better than Bad Medicine. And I don't even like that song. Just saying Goo Goo Dolls are way soft.

Dude I do not like Bon Jovi either. But give me a Goo Goo Dolls tune better than Bad Medicine. And I don't even like that song. Just saying Goo Goo Dolls are way soft.

All of them. It not the size of the wand, it is the magic in it! ;-P

This "hard rock" crap is way over-rated and ultra cheezy. Soft cheese way better than hard cheese!

:-)

What, Billy Sheehan wasn't available?

Sheehan doing "The Star-Spangled Banner" ala Hendrix, but on the bass, might be cool. I'm not really a fan of his current bands, and find a lot of his playing really goofy, but I know he is a Hendrix disciple, and that would be a perfect showcase for his particular style.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Goo Goo Dolls and Third Eye Blind. Great Studio Bands..please dont sing live!

But I like that song they have..I think its LONG WAY DOWN! Its actually a great driving song!

http://youtu.be/zK6PiJCw_Jg

Great song. Underrated band. So much better than bon jovi

Also, ive seen them live twice. Saw them this summer in Boston. I was hammered so that probably played into it but they put on a hell of show both times. Nothing like 90s nostalgia.

Edited by youngjebrey

This should be cool.

I'm far from a Goo Goo Dolls fan, but Johnny Rzeznik is one of the very few top flight musicians to have emerged from Buffalo.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Billy Sheehan of Talas fame (one of the best bass guitarists on the planet) and maybe Spyro Gyra as other top flight WNY musicians.

Honorable mention to Chuck Mangione who I believe is from the Rochester area.

Beggars can't be choosers my friends. Rzeznik is WNY musical royalty.

Welcome him with open arms on Sunday.

This should be cool.

I'm far from a Goo Goo Dolls fan, but Johnny Rzeznik is one of the very few top flight musicians to have emerged from Buffalo.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of Billy Sheehan of Talas fame (one of the best bass guitarists on the planet) and maybe Spyro Gyra as other top flight WNY musicians.

Is Rochester considered WNY? What about Lou Gramm.. Isn't he from Rochester?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I honestly thought they were a hometown favorite. Guess I was wrong. And yes, Girls my age (Mid 20's) love the goo goo dolls and if the girls love them, then Ill play them on repeat. Thats how you play the game gentlemen.

That's the way you play when you have no real game. I select my music for MY ears. I'll teach the right girls to appreciate it.

I agree with the Ani DiFranco poster. She's awesome!

Well that was me (at least I suggested it). I can't really say I listen to much Ani, but I have a ton of respect for her. She has gone in many different directions and has never sold out, as far as I know.

What, Billy Sheehan wasn't available?

Not a huge fan of many of his bands, but the guy does have major talent. I like the idea of a bass-driven National Anthem. Give it some balls.

This should be cool.

WNY has always been a breeding ground for musical talent. We lost one of the greats last year, when Jim Hall died.

Perhaps if you were less focused on who is "famous" and more focused on who is actually good, you wouldn't refer to Reznick as a "top flight musician"

Chuck Mangione has done the anthem at a Bills game before, I can't remember what year it was though. I just remember him walking by me in the parking lot by the tunnel and saying hi.

Is Rochester considered WNY? What about Lou Gramm.. Isn't he from Rochester?

Finger Lakes region....

http://visitnewyorkstate.net/regions/

That's the way you play when you have no real game. I select my music for MY ears. I'll teach the right girls to appreciate it.

Yeah Im sure thats working out great for you and the females are all fighting over you :thumbsup::D. Have a beer man! I'll continue to live my 23 year old, post college lifestyle, living the dream!

There was a time when they were a really great band. Right up through "Superstar Carwash", which, coincidentally, was produced by the great Paul Westerberg. They were a critical success, but not a financial success. I remember, not long after, when they started having some mainstream success with some insipid power ballad type song from a movie soundtrack, there was a little one-off interview with Rzeznik in, I think, Rolling Stone.

He pretty much said, in no uncertain terms, that he was conscious of the fact that the band was "selling out", and had come to personal terms with it. His justification, which is more common sense than it is "so rock-n' roll" was, essentially saying they had been at it for a long time, all the guys were married and having children...they were getting too old, and had too many responsibilities to be doing club tours all over the US, sleeping in Roadway Inn's, or on somebodys couch in every city...Rzeznik said growing up, making music was his chosen career (I used to buy pot from the bass player, in college!)...the band had all talked about hanging it up, and trying to get "real jobs", but he felt like even then, he was a trained "rock star" of no success...it was his trade, like an electrician or plummer. So when corporations like the NFL (and so many others) were waiving huge money in their faces to perform at corporate events, and to record, essentially, anthems for product, he considered it his responsibiltiy to his family to cast aside his aversions to those kind of things, and do what was best for his family.

I am not making excuses for them at all, and I haven't purcahsed one of their records in close to 25 years, but I was just struck by how honest he was about the whole thing..and while I think the new music "blows chunks", I have been around great, struggling musicians my whole life...I can't really knock them for going for the money when it is offered. I don't like their music any more, but I have a certain amount of respect...As the Forgotten Rebels used to sing..."Rock-n' Roll's A Hard Life".

And you know, it might not be my cup of tea but for a stretch there he turned out some really well done pop songs.... Which isn't as easy as it looks, or a helluva lot more people would be doing it. That stretch from name through the next album or two he was hitting home runs with his pop writing compared to a lot of their peers in top 40 rock

http://youtu.be/zK6PiJCw_Jg

Great song. Underrated band. So much better than bon jovi

Also, ive seen them live twice. Saw them this summer in Boston. I was hammered so that probably played into it but they put on a hell of show both times. Nothing like 90s nostalgia.

Didn't you say you were 23? So born in 91? Really brings you back to recess and nap time?!?