Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 5, Bills at Lions

Dan

Week 5: Buffalo Bills at Detroit Lions

Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 1:00pm

TV Network: FOX (TV Map)

Announcers: Sam Rosen, Ronde Barber

DirecTV: 709

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 126 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

Boasting the NFL's top defense, Detroit looks to continue its strong start Sunday as it hosts a struggling Buffalo Bills team which is changing quarterbacks.

Alone again atop the division after last week's 24-17 victory over the New York Jets, they are determined to turn this season into something special rather than withering away as the importance of each contest grows.

The Bills (2-2) beat Chicago and Miami to open the season, but the offense sputtered in a 22-10 loss to San Diego on Sept. 21 before Manuel threw two picks -- including one returned for a touchdown -- in last Sunday's 23-17 loss to Houston. Manuel's completion percentage has dropped with every game and was a Week 4-worst 47.7.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bills at Lions NFL.com Preview 

Lions Weekly Matchup

Mark Kelso: Bills at Lions In-Depth Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills         Lions

Total Yds/Game.... 320.8         363.2

Total Rush............. 122.2           87.2

Total Pass............. 198.5         276.0

Points/Game..........  19.8           21.2

Time of Poss..........  29.2           35.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 337.8         267.2

Rush Yards...........   71.5          80.8

Pass Yards........... 266.2         185.6

Points Allowed........ 18.8           15.5

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 27th; Texans - 12th

Overall Defense: Bills - 10th; Texans - 1st

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills 24, 10, 12,

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Bradham, Nigel          LB          Knee        DNP          DNP          LP          Doubtful

Brooks, Ron             CB          Shoulder    LP          LP          LP          Probable

Easley, Marcus          WR          Knee        DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Goodwin, Marquise       WR          Concussion  FP          FP          FP          Probable

Johnson, Randell        LB          Knee        LP          LP          LP          Probable

Watkins, Sammy          WR          Ribs        FP          FP          FP          Probable

Williams, Kyle          DT          Knee        DNP          DNP          LP          Doubtful

Williams, Chris         G          Back        DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Detroit Lions

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Joique Bell             RB          Concussion  NP          NP          NP          Out

Joseph Fauria           TE          Ankle       NP          NP          NP          Out

Travis Lewis            LB          Quadricep   NP          NP          NP          Out

Theo Riddick            RB          Hamstring   NP          NP          NP          Out

Cassius Vaughn          CB          Ankle       NP          LP          LP          Doubtful

Calvin Johnson          WR          Ankle       NP          NP          LP          Questionable

Don Carey               S          Hamstring   FP          FP          FP          Probable

Nick Fairley            DT          Knee        LP          LP          FP          Probable

Golden Tate             WR          Hamstring  not listed     LP          LP          Probable

Devin Taylor            DE          Knee        LP          LP          FP          Probable

LaAdrian Waddle         T          Calf        FP          FP          FP          Probable

Source: DetroitLions.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Lions -6.5

Over/Under: 43.0

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

Sometimes I think the Bills do things just to keep us excited. So, what do you do after 2 losses and a dismal performance by your QB? You bench him!  So, here we go.. Kyle Orton gets his first start and EJ is benched for poor performance for the first time in his life.  If nothing else, it gives us all something to talk about.  

But, the real question is.. will it lead to better play on the field and result in a win?  By the numbers, this game is lopsided.  The Lions are better than the Bills in every statistical measure.  The Lions are playing at home.  The Bills have a QB seeing his first game action for the team, ever.  In short, if the Bills could win, it could easily be the biggest up set of the week. 

So the deck is stacked against us.  How will our team come out?  I expect the offense to come out and play hard.  They want to prove that this team isn’t falling apart.  But, what the players do on the field may be less important than what the minds of Doug and Nate do to the game plan.  Our offense has look uninspired, to say the least, this season.  We’ve steadily regressed in every key measure since the start of last season.  Now, we should have a decent QB (despite what anyone may think of the benching, there’s little doubt Orton is a more polished QB than EJ).  How Hackett uses his new BFF may easily be the difference in the game and our season.

With all that said, I’m looking for several key points:

1. The Bills Secondary.  Stafford is good QB and he has the weapons to burn the field.  The Lions rank 5th in the league in passing offense.  Our secondary easily faces their toughest game of the season.  They need to step up.

2. The Bills Defensive Line.  It’s simple.. If they don’t get pressure while shutting down the 26th ranked run game of the league, there’s no way I think our secondary wins their battles.  

3. Our Offensive Line.  The Lions have the best D line in the league.  We haven’t stopped a stunting pass rusher all season.  If they don’t step up, it doesn’t matter who the QB is.  This unit could easily be the key to the entire game.  If they keep the rush off Orton, he definitely has the skill to get the ball to our WRs with accuracy. 

4. Hackett and Marrone.  I’m still waiting for either of these guys to look like they have a clue.  Let’s just say that if Orton is lining up in a read option style set with Jackson, my head might actually explode.  I have almost no faith in either of them. Hopefully, they restore some this week. 

Go Bills!!

Edited by Dan

Was nice to read all the stories on Ralph and the Wilson family last couple of days. The symmetry of the last game of the Bills under the Wilson family is pretty awesome.

And yes, betting the Bills + 250 ....I think they either win or get blowd out.

Poubtful? is that 50/50?

I think it means he's very sad that he might not be playing. ...or that I put that report together too late after traveling all day. I'm not sure.

fixed. :)

Edited by Dan

Dan - I totally agree with you on the "read option" comment. Hackett beat that horse to death. If they would just concentrate on fundamental play action/QB under center football we may have a chance.

This is key.. EJ didnt use his athletic ability anyways and always slid and got OOB WAY too early and sacrificed 1st downs. Maybe if EJ had been warned if he didnt get it done, Orton was coming in , he wuold have "let it rip" and ran the ball harder. Like a player playing for his career. He was so coddled, and felt it was HIS job and probably didnt want to risk injury.

I think the biggest play of the game was well before the Watt pick 6. I was that 3rd and 9, near the end of 1st half when we were leading 10-0 and Houston had done absolutely nothing vs our D and Fitzy had no one opened and he ran for that 1st down, went head first and took a nice pop by 2 Bills defenders and picked up first down cuz he dove instead of sliding. Not sure if it was next play, but within couple of plays he hit Hopkins for that TD to make a game that we had completely dominated up until that point and took crowd out of game, a 10-7 game at half rather than 10-0....

EJ has ran the ball plenty of times this yr were he ducked out of bounds 5 yards too soon or slid way too early for a guy built like a LB. I know he has had 3 knee injuries last yr, but if we had any chance of being a playoff team WITH EJ as QB, he HAD to use his legs as asset, not liability. Cam is not most accurate passer either. But uses his legs and size to extend drives. Never got how Hackett didnt tell EJ to stop ducking a hit from someone in secondary where he outwieghs them by 20-30 pounds and has few inches on them too when O has been struggling to keep drives going. Everyone knew EJ was ""raw" prospect, so to make up for some on his weaknesses, he could easily have been used for 40 yards or so on the ground a game which would have made teams have to account for him at LOS which in turn, has 1 less guy in coverage...

Alot of this is on the coaches. The best coaches, take a player, and form there O to that guys skill set. The read option would have been ALOT more effective if we established EJ as real threat to run. Not 1 token QB keeper a game. If his time was coming and they were thinking of pulling plug on experiment.... Why not do things that use his body type and athletic ability rather than just hand it to CJ or Freddy every single time out of read option looks.

Also, CJ will be alot more effective in a more traditional offense or even a spread attack with 3 or 4 WR and running out of shotgun alot like he did under Gailey. Hopefully, they use Orton intelligently or this will be another long, frustrating afternoon.

RC

:ph34r: put Robey on Megatron (he's closest to his ankle) :ph34r:

@RapSheet

When did #Bills coach Doug Marrone decide to make a QB change? In the locker room Sunday. Checked with team vets who offered no resistance.

@RapSheet: "I’m told Doug Marrone made the decision to replace EJ Manuel w/ Orton in locker room after game, solidified it on flight back."

You're conflicting yourself!

Watkins, Kelce highlight Week 5 players to watch

Each week of the season so far, we have highlighted players impressing on game tape.

Let's take a look at four more players we are excited to watch in Week 5 after catching our eye on Game Rewind:

@JohnMurphyShow

Game day-Ford Field. A fitting place for Ralph Wilson era of #Bills history to end-his hometown

BzMOsXtCIAAyjmi.jpg

@jkatzenstein

Bills defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is on the field. Travis Lewis, Rashean Mathis and Jim Washburn among the first to greet him.

Yes And Ditka said it didn't matter because the Bills are a bad team and have a lot of other problems other than the QB. He did not provide specifics.

He's kept around for comic relief I think. Rarely speaks in complete sentences and his best years are far behind him.