Colinsworth on Orton

AllDayADay

I have to disagree with those who say that benching EJ means his career with the Bills is over. This just gets him back to where he should have been all along, on the bench watching an experienced QB runs things.

After a certain point of proficiency, a person learns best by doing along with coaching. Prior to that point however a person learns to fail, and that's all EJ was going to do by playing, keep failing. He doesn't get it. But that's OK, a lot of 1st-3rd year QBs don't get it, and then they figure out what's going on and become good professional QBs. This detour is actually the straightest path to EJ being successful in the long run.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with those who say that benching EJ means his career with the Bills is over. This just gets him back to where he should have been all along, on the bench watching an experienced QB runs things.

After a certain point of proficiency, a person learns best by doing along with coaching. Prior to that point however a person learns to fail, and that's all EJ was going to do by playing, keep failing. He doesn't get it. But that's OK, a lot of 1st-3rd year QBs don't get it, and then they figure out what's going on and become good professional QBs. This detour is actually the straightest path to EJ being successful in the long run.

Agreed. If Manuel is half the worker people claim he is, if he possesses half the character people say he does, then this demotion can serve him well. It's way too premature for anyone to claim Manuel's career is over. As you implied, this was the plan all along and I'm hoping he can reclaim the confidence he's lost as a result of not being ready.

GO BILLS!!!

Do you consider 2 years "long term?"

Because at 31, I'm thinking that's how long Orton can/may stay at the healm.

If he plays well he could be here for 5-6 years. This long term statement is strange, lets see how he fairs first. I have no illusions that he is the second coming of Joe Montana, but people are so worried about the "long term" they seem to forsake the now. Worry about the future after you fix the first issue ...not winning.

N=I normally do not like this guy, but Cris Colinsworth was on the DP show and said he was really impressed by Kyle Orton last year in Dallas. He is not like a normal back-up and has a great feel for the game. Thought it was worth mentioning.

I think he has a better arm than a lot of people realize, maybe not early on in his career, but it has gotten stronger.

Heres to a productive week 5...

need all the koolaid I can get, boy sure tastes good

N=I normally do not like this guy, but Cris Colinsworth was on the DP show and said he was really impressed by Kyle Orton last year in Dallas. He is not like a normal back-up and has a great feel for the game. Thought it was worth mentioning.

I think he has a better arm than a lot of people realize, maybe not early on in his career, but it has gotten stronger.

Heres to a productive week 5...

If you lifted as many bottles of Jack D as this guy does, you'd have an arm like Hulk Hogan.

Orton played under QB guru Lovie Smith in Chicago and then for the sweat-pants-clad, Tebow-drafting McDaniels in Denver just before McDaniels limped back to Bellichick with his tail between his legs.

Take a look at how Cutler soared once Lovie left and took a look at what's happening in Hotlanta right now with Hester to learn just how little we can glean from Orton's early years under Ssmith.

As for his time in Denver, that was a pretty bad team. Lest we forget, their inability to stop anything on defense led them to select renowned Prussian General Von Miller one pick before we nabbed Dareus in 2011.

I honestly don't think we predict much about how Orton will do with Buffalo's talent given the teams/systems he's been under over his 10 year career.

Most of your comments are accurate, BUT, Denver had an excellent defense when Tebow replaced Orton. The Denver D carried Tebow into the playoffs. I am quite familiar with Orton and his career. But, don't recall why the Broncos got off to a 1-3 or 1-4 start before Orton was replaced with Tebow that year?

Show me a QB that played more than 5 years that has had similar EJ issues.

Kordell Stewart. I don't think that is what we want and might no be the best answer to your question.

Agreed!

It's a philosophical difference of opinion of where this team is at. I don't think this team is ready to compete for a title. Could Orton be better in the short term, sure but does anyone here really see him leading us to the super bowl?

Ej has looked dreadful at times and we are 2-2. Maybe he isn't the answer but pulling the plug on him now we will never know. Orton isn't long term, we have no #1 and now we have to start the whole thing over again searching for the next heir to Jim Kelly.

Marrone wants to win now and I get that but is Orton so much better than EJ that you bail now? I just didn't think so. Growing on the job in the nfl isn't easy. No excuses he has to get better but you can't from the sidelines. It feels like we wasted that pick now based on the fact so few of these guys ever make it back after they've been benched.

Bills fan so I'll root for Orton to be successful for as long as he's the starter, I just think they gave up too fast on a young Quarterback.

Why isn't he "long term" ? Orton is 31. QB's can play well into their late 30's. Orton, if he does well, could be playing for the Bills 5-7 years. In pro football, that would probably be considered long term.

I'm with you. Sometimes his over the top adulation for some players is grating, but he provides analysis of the game at a depth Others don't.

I am not sure why, perhaps he's just better at paraphrasing football concepts to laymens terms on the fly?

I mean all these former pro players understand this stuff id think.

Ya. I feel like he focuses more on line play than most too. It was almost embarrassing hearing Golic and everyone this week on espn basically repeat everything he said about the Cowboys OL Sunday night.

how about me? I commented on this board in august before they even signed orton and said bills should pick up orton as he is best free agent available and then 2 weeks later they did. Where is my praise?

Please don't bury your announcement in this thread. Start a new one so people can give you proper accolades.

I think he just comes off as arrogant and a know-it-all. But he does know his stuff and there are many worse than he out there!

I think the Bills agree that Orton is 'not like a normal back-up' with the contract they handed him...

He does come off as a bit of a know it all, which I'm fine with since he pretty much does know it all. He reminds me of Tim McCarver in that way. People always hated on McCarver but he was an outstanding baseball analyst.

Collinsworth actually thinks the Patsies are still he favorites to win the AFC East.

So do I. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they beat Cincy handily this weekend.

So do I. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they beat Cincy handily this weekend.

I'm not willing to kick dirt onto the *pats shallow grave just yet either, but Cincy might be one of the best teams in the conference. This is going to be a tough game for TommyTerrific and the hoodie. Geno Atkins is going to absolutely demolish the middle of the *pat's line, they have no answer for him. He could win the game by himself which is rare to say about a d-lineman.

Show me a QB that played more than 5 years that has had similar EJ issues.

:(

Does it really need to be pointed out to you that EJ has played 14 games? There is absolutely a chance that he will improve from where he is now......

Look....it was the right call right now with Orton.......but lets not forget their are external pressures to win now. EJ absolutely could improve his game.

First of all, Collinsworth is really good. He is a better passer than EJ at this point in his career. No doubt. But he's also a guy who threw 9 tds and 13 ints his first 15 games, much worse than EJ's first 14 games. He grew as a player. I wanted the opportunity for EJ to grow. I think you learn best by playing.

But it is what it is. It's an all or nothing move for Marrone. Hopefully, it works.

um.. Collinsworth played WR.. He MAY have tossed a pass or two, but I challenge the 13 picks.