A Good Sully Article...as rare as seeing a Unicorn.

Kolb could never even groom himself into anything

That might be true (and is funny), and the decision to bank on Kolb to be the steward until EJ could take over might have been a terrible mistake in hindsight. However, it shows there was a clear plan in mind by Whaley and company when they took EJ -- namely that they were aware he needed time to develop. The past two games this season have proven that to be prescient.

All that is said in reference to Sully's article which claims the decision to bench Manuel makes Whaley look bad. That's a junior high level deduction for Sully to base his article on, which is why the article is trash.

Nope. As far as the whole EJ saga is concerned Whaley and probably Brandon (who presumably signed off on Sammy) look bad.

They look very bad.

And of course it's not just EJ.

It's the whole QB disaster. Their ability to assess talent at this position has been 100% amateurish.

I agree and I suspect 2-3 years out most others will too.

Edited by Rob's House

Nope. They only look bad in the eyes of those with an agenda. Anyone with a clue understands the nature of the business. If you're gonna slam them for taking EJ and trading for Sammy, then you have to praise them for hiring a coach who's willing to make the tough decisions and going out and signing the best available veteran QB out there. Sully acts like a child who's toy doesn't work and he needs a grownup to fix it for him.

And, if the amazing should happen, and they make a playoff run, Sully should be made to kiss Whaley's ass in Macy's window.

GO BILLS!!!

It was a tough decision mostly on a human, not on a football basis. It had to be done.

It nevertheless took courage and it was assuredly an unpleasant, though necessary, thing to do.

And apparently there may well have been some disagreement on the matter as between Marrone and the FO.

Getting Kolb so that EJ can learn was not the problem. Drafting him at all, certainly where they did, was the problem.

If a vet was going to play in 2013 anyway the thing to do is wait until 2014 to get your guy.

I don't know about you but I would rather have another one of the good young wideouts from last years draft, Teddy Bridgewater, and still have my 2015 first rounder than have EJ and Sammy and no first rounder.

The Bills don't know QBs They just don't.

Whaley gets a big FAIL on that issue.

I clicked on this today and was half through it before I realized it was Sullivan. I normally do not read his stuff at all anymore. He actually kept the snide, whiney crap that he passes off as intelligent comment to a minimum and made a couple of good points.

This^^^^^

I listened to Russ Brandon on WGR yesterday morning, and my takeaway was that he seemed very careful about saying it was 100% Marrone's decision. I felt like he was trying to possibly distance himself/Whaley from it in case it didn't worn out, and maybe to not look as silly since they said they were "all in" on EJ.

I listened to Russ Brandon on WGR yesterday morning, and my takeaway was that he seemed very careful about saying it was 100% Marrone's decision. I felt like he was trying to possibly distance himself/Whaley from it in case it didn't worn out, and maybe to not look as silly since they said they were "all in" on EJ.

I fail to see why they should feel embarrassed to say they were "all in on Ej." There is absolutely no shame in saying that at all. They were all in right up until the point when they weren't, which is a point where they happen to be in first place in the division with a proven, capable back up to turn to. Could be much worse.

If they don't have the luxury of making mistakes, we are in for a ton more disappointment because they surely will. It's just the nature of the beast.

GO BILLS!!!

If true, not a winning strategy.

The fallback position is a proven loser.

But then of course Russ is a marketer, and some segment of the fan base need to be told what to think.

I fail to see why they should feel embarrassed to say they were "all in on Ej." There is absolutely no shame in saying that at all. They were all in right up until the point when they weren't, which is a point where they happen to be in first place in the division with a proven, capable back up to turn to. Could be much worse.

If they don't have the luxury of making mistakes, we are in for a ton more disappointment because they surely will. It's just the nature of the beast.

GO BILLS!!!

They have never gotten the all important position right.

Except maybe for Orten, in which case they lucked out.

If true, not a winning strategy.

The fallback position is a proven loser.

But then of course Russ is a marketer, and some segment of the fan base need to be told what to think.

They have never gotten the all important position right.

Except maybe for Orten, in which case they lucked out.

Yes, Russ Brandon is a svengali with an hypnotic hold on all his minions that buy tickets. Way to insult the intelligence of every fan out there. Except you, of course. You wouldn't be dumb enough to buy tickets or watch the games because you bought what Russ is selling.

And let's hope they did "luck out" with Orton. Luck plays a big part in all of it. Although a two-month pursuit of the guy would suggest they put a bit more than "luck" into it.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Russ Brandon is a svengali with an hypnotic hold on all his minions that buy tickets. Way to insult the intelligence of every fan out there. Except you, of course. You wouldn't be dumb enough to buy tickets or watch the games because you bought what Russ is selling.

And let's hope they did "luck out" with Orton. Luck plays a big part in all of it. Although a two-month pursuit of the guy would suggest they put a bit more than "luck" into it.

GO BILLS!!!

No, not every fan.

And if I watch/follow the Bills, it's certainly not because of Russ.

Nope. As far as the whole EJ saga is concerned Whaley and probably Brandon (who presumably signed off on Sammy) look bad.

They look very bad.

And of course it's not just EJ.

It's the whole QB disaster. Their ability to assess talent at this position has been 100% amateurish.

Unless of course Kyle takes us to the playoffs based on an amazing season by the rookie Sammy and then either next year or one after EJ becomes the man and the Sammy EJ connection rides for ten years. Just sayin.

Meantime lets go Kyle. I hope Sammy and him light it up NOW! I'm ready for some good times and see Kyle with a chance of his lifetime as he has more weapons at his disposal than ever before. I'll bet he puts to rest real quick any questions about his desire to play. Watch him light it up on Sunday. A real qb with a late in life opportunity on a team that has a lot of surrounding talent on both sides of the ball.

Oh and screw Sully. Even though I get his brand of humor

I worked for a couple of years as a sports journalist and some of you guys are being a bit harsh here. That isn't a terrible article. What it is his interpretation of what went down. He makes it clear at the start "is it just me?" that what follows is going to be largely his interpretation rather than anything objectively proven or even anything able to be proven. It is at heart an opinion piece.... does it sail a little close to the wind of being opinion masquerading as fact at times? Possibly. I don't think he helps himself by throwing in every report of internal tension from the past year without coming up with any tangiable thread to link them. But overall it is a far opinion piece with some asumptions (some of which I agree some of which I don't).

Edited by GunnerBill