Offensive game plan moving forward

The offense has been built around mostly shot gun and a heavy dose of read option. Do they use the FB more? Do they split out CJ? Fred and CJ together? I don't ever want to see CJ in the backfield in passing situations. He can't block anyone. I hate Lee Smith so much flames, flames, flames come out of my ears... I like Gragg as a H-back. Is the base offense three WR, one RB, and a TE - 11 package?

The Negativo Game Plan:

Eliminate read option from the playbook. Eliminate shotgun draw from the playbook. Use Freddy on dives and screens, CJ on pitchouts and downfield throws. Make Chandler a bigger part of the offense, particularly on 3rd down. Clear out slants for Sammy. Use Mike Williams' size for endzone fades. Throw deep a few times early to push back the safeties to open up the running game and short passes. Mix in a moving pocket to defuse the blitz. Slow down the game. Huddle more. Go under center more. Work time of possession to give the D a rest. Only use no-huddle after hitting big plays to catch the defense off guard. Sling a play action deep ball on short yardage at some point. Attempt two trick plays...a flea flicker, fake punt, reverse pass, statue of liberty...something to change momentum, field position or get a quick score.

The Negativo Game Plan:

Eliminate read option from the playbook. Eliminate shotgun draw from the playbook. Use Freddy on dives and screens, CJ on pitchouts and downfield throws. Make Chandler a bigger part of the offense, particularly on 3rd down. Clear out slants for Sammy. Use Mike Williams' size for endzone fades. Throw deep a few times early to push back the safeties to open up the running game and short passes. Mix in a moving pocket to defuse the blitz. Slow down the game. Huddle more. Go under center more. Work time of possession to give the D a rest. Only use no-huddle after hitting big plays to catch the defense off guard. Sling a play action deep ball on short yardage at some point. Attempt two trick plays...a flea flicker, fake punt, reverse pass, statue of liberty...something to change momentum, field position or get a quick score.

They haven't run the no huddle all year. In fact I think they have missed opportunities to go faster as you said after a big play or to keep a certain defensive personnel on the field.

I wonder if we see a WR screen to Sammy this week?

No trick plays on the road except a WR reverse.

Mike Williams is only 6'1". Why do people think he is a red zone threat?

Against the Detroit front I am not sure I would run Fred much this week. I would rather see CJ wide or even Brown.

Chandler could be big this week as their LB's aren't any good.

They haven't run the no huddle all year. In fact I think they have missed opportunities to go faster as you said after a big play or to keep a certain defensive personnel on the field.

I wonder if we see a WR screen to Sammy this week?

No trick plays on the road except a WR reverse.

Mike Williams is only 6'1". Why do people think he is a red zone threat?

Against the Detroit front I am not sure I would run Fred much this week. I would rather see CJ wide or even Brown.

Chandler could be big this week as their LB's aren't any good.

Mike is 6'2" but it's not the size I think so much as his strength leaping ability just the watch will go up and get it that makes him a red zone threat

The offense has been built around mostly shot gun and a heavy dose of read option. Do they use the FB more? Do they split out CJ? Fred and CJ together? I don't ever want to see CJ in the backfield in passing situations. He can't block anyone. I hate Lee Smith so much flames, flames, flames come out of my ears... I like Gragg as a H-back. Is the base offense three WR, one RB, and a TE - 11 package?

I don't think it'll be markedly different. It should remind folks of when Foles took over for Vick in Philadelphia last year. Not because Orton is like Foles or Vick is like Manuel, but rather because many folks expected Foles' limited athleticism to hamper Kelly's offensive gameplan.

It really didn't.

I believe there will still be a fair number of packaged plays with run/pass options, some zone read stuff, and perhaps a greater emphasis on short-intermediate passing game. I'm going to guess that we'll see the "if nobody's within 8 yards of Sammy just throw it to him off the snap" play at least 2 or 3 times per game as well.

The Negativo Game Plan:

The read option is just a component of a packaged play where the QB makes a pre-snap read as two which "live" defender he's going to reads once the ball is snapped. Post-snap, he then reads defender and makes a run/pass decision.

Peyton Manning runs the read option all the time--he never keeps the ball.

I do think Chandler will get more targets now though.

I sure hope the blocking schemes are looked into. Watching the all-22 clips, it amazed me how many times Eric Wood looked in the opposite direction to help Richardson against #96 while the best defensive player in the league JJ Watt was running by Pears into the backfield. If this was predetermined in the gameplan, no wonder we lost. Also, any play that depends on Chandler being the key blocker needs to be scrapped. He has proven he cannot hold a block yet we had him one on one with Watt a couple of times and ran that way.

I sure hope the blocking schemes are looked into. Watching the all-22 clips, it amazed me how many times Eric Wood looked in the opposite direction to help Richardson against #96 while the best defensive player in the league JJ Watt was running by Pears into the backfield. If this was predetermined in the gameplan, no wonder we lost. Also, any play that depends on Chandler being the key blocker needs to be scrapped. He has proven he cannot hold a block yet we had him one on one with Watt a couple of times and ran that way.

That's part of the problem with playing former OTs at OG...they don't know how to play in limited space.

The G-C-G trio is responsible for squeezing together at the snap to limit space inside, and then passing individual rushers "across the face" of their exchange. This is commonly quite difficult for OTs to adjust to, as they're used to having plenty of space on the perimeter to simply lock onto a pass rusher and ride him out of the play. On the inside, as you saw in the A22, following a pass rusher around can basically take yourself and a fellow OLmen out of the play.

I think Richardson will learn to get better at it, as he's at least had some OG experience in college (he transitioned to OG as a Junior)--I do think he'll benefit from dropping 15 lbs or so in the offseason though. Pears has almost no experience at OG outside of a few games in Oakland, and so I think he's condemned to playing like an OT inside.

Throw the ball accurately to our usually open WRs.

Fire the current OC, and hire an NFL experienced game planner, play caller who can get the most out of the players on the roster instead of wanting someone else to fit the system he wants to run. I'd call the man a moronic jackass but that would be insulting to the people who already are that way. Hackett is below that standard.

This last game with the clincher for me that Hackett is beyond help, as he went into that game passing first against the 27th ranked run defense. Houston's defense wasn't all that good, and the only thing they do very well is rush the passer with Watt. So what did Hackett do, he came out throwing, and had EJ run face first into that fierce pass rush. 44 passes vs 22 runs was just beyond stupid. Perhaps galacticly stupid.

EJ was rattled early and it screwed his entire day, and anyone who thinks that the O line isn't that important should have been watching the Patriots at Chiefs on Monday night. Tom Brady looked abysmal, and almost worse then EJ because of poor protection. You would think with two rookies, and a complete bum at RG the Bills would try and run more, as its easier to run block. They know where they are going, and get the first push. Apparently not with this team

Then last game WR Mike Williams stated after the game that Hackett didn't make adjustments in the passing offense until later in the game. He stated that the Texans had previous run off man coverage's so that's what Hackett game planned for, and instead the Texans were in constant press man. How difficult is it for a pro OC to watch the game, and see what the defense is doing in their very first series. I mean c'mon, if you aren't smart enough to understand what you are seeing on the field, ASK THE PLAYERS!

Hackett is making Chan Gailey look like an offensive super genius in regards to the run game. How much more of this JV game planning, play calling must we endure?

Orton looked very comfortable out of the shotgun in the Week 17 game last year against the Eagles. I think there's a few obvious changes that need to be made

- Read option is out... threat of Orton keeping it is nil

- Need to emphasize quick game more ( slants/ curls / 3 step drops) more to compensate for poor Guard play.. also plays to Orton's strengths

- I think we'll actually see less play action as the quick passes Orton can make serve as a de facto run game and may set up sluggos and double moves for later in the game

How is the rook at LG doing? Better then Urbik or Williams, and the kid needs to play to learn.

https://mtc.cdn.vine...0rnzDFWzr9__FCi

More importantly how is Pears doing at RG you ask? I'd say horrid but that is being far to kind

https://mtc.cdn.vine...cgjUN2ouwSP5N5O

More here.... http://www.wgr550.com/JW-All-22-Review-Bills-Texans/20015538

Hacket is a buffoon. WR Mike Williams goes on to say that the offense was game planned for a certain pass coverage by the Texans, and they ran something different the entire game. Hackett didn't make changes until after the half. Like Williams says, if you are in the wrong offense, things tend not to work.

http://www.buffalobi...bb-c911b4607d09

Edited by FeartheLosing

No idea, but the beauty of this is the Lions D has to ask the same questions. There will be more guessing on their part. A better passing game (I suspect) may help the running game too. I think our play selection gets larger with Kyle. No more simplified playbook. Kyle is a smart and experienced QB.

BUT...I'm very worried about Detroit picking our secondary apart. Man I cant wait for this game.

Orton is more similar to Nassib when Hackett and Marrone were at Syracuse. Probably will be a similar offense but less read option and more complex passing plays/reads. EJ is more similar to the guy they recruited and starts now (Terrell Hunt).

Have to think Sammy, Woods and M.Williams will see a lot more targets.

The O-Line better block Suh and Ansah because Orton can't move in there like EJ. Have to expect more total yards but also more sacks and turnovers.