Jackson stands behind EJ... and the team

RuntheDamnBall

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/jackson-stands-behind-coachs-decision-20140929

The article is linked on TBD, but it's worth discussing.

I know this will slip by the crowd that is having its field day for being "right" about EJ never being an NFL QB, but I think Fred is the perfect guy to help EJ look at this the right way. Time and again he has been left on the sidelines in favor of other options, and time and again he has worked his way back to where he belongs. You can argue (rightfully) that he never should have been on the sidelines in the first place, but still, it's about the perspective he can offer a young player.

Coming out and saying "we aren't giving up on EJ" and ‘If anything, let it motivate you,’ ” Jackson said. “Motivate you to come ready to work and prove that you’re still the guy. If I know him, that’s what he’s going to do. … He’s going to continue to come to work, improve as a quarterback, and take care of the things that he needs to take care of.”

... that's the mark of a consummate teammate and captain.

I know this will slip by the crowd that is having its field day for being "right" about EJ never being an NFL QB

As is usually the case in here, it is less about some people being "right" and more about some people being "wrong" (eg. this thread),

I totally agree and I actually posted something just now along the similar lines! THIS is what makes Fred our Captain and the heart and soul of this team! Talk about about a leader! Stuff like this doesn't show up on some stat line but it 's the kind of thing that makes me wrap myself around this team! It will be a VERY sad day in Buffaloville when FJax finally hangs up his cleats. We can only hope that someone can try and step up and be half the leader that he is! God Bless you Fred and thanks for being a Buffalo Bill!

Go Bills!

Fred is a PC, locker room leader, and still the only bright spot on the O. he as a leader knows what to say.

great for Fred. he rocks. i wonder what he says after a few beers in a bar off camera though? Anyway he did the right thing.

Coddling the baby in the family.

awesome. And probably true.

i read that quote as an acknowledgement that EJ has a lot of work to do to get to where he needs to be as an NFL QB. Whether he gets there is the question, but Freddie basically affirmed that EJ wasn't ready to play in the big league yet.

http://www.buffalone...cision-20140929

The article is linked on TBD, but it's worth discussing.

I know this will slip by the crowd that is having its field day for being "right" about EJ never being an NFL QB, but I think Fred is the perfect guy to help EJ look at this the right way. Time and again he has been left on the sidelines in favor of other options, and time and again he has worked his way back to where he belongs. You can argue (rightfully) that he never should have been on the sidelines in the first place, but still, it's about the perspective he can offer a young player.

Coming out and saying "we aren't giving up on EJ" and ‘If anything, let it motivate you,’ ” Jackson said. “Motivate you to come ready to work and prove that you’re still the guy. If I know him, that’s what he’s going to do. … He’s going to continue to come to work, improve as a quarterback, and take care of the things that he needs to take care of.”

... that's the mark of a consummate teammate and captain.

He isn't the guy. EJ is severely limited and no time on the bench is gonna fix that. When this season is over cut EJ and draft a guy to sit a year behind Orton. Hopefully this time we can find a guy who can get it done

i read that quote as an acknowledgement that EJ has a lot of work to do to get to where he needs to be as an NFL QB. Whether he gets there is the question, but Freddie basically affirmed that EJ wasn't ready to play in the big league yet.

No doubt. but there's this way of saying that, and then there's Robert Woods' way. I know which is more productive for a team, and I'm glad Fred is here to set an example.

He isn't the guy. EJ is severely limited and no time on the bench is gonna fix that. When this season is over cut EJ and draft a guy to sit a year behind Orton. Hopefully this time we can find a guy who can get it done

If it ain't everyone's favorite broken record.

No doubt. but there's this way of saying that, and then there's Robert Woods' way. I know which is more productive for a team, and I'm glad Fred is here to set an example.

There's a reason they extended his contract

I think Fred is right and I don't think the BILLS' brass has "given up" on EJ as a whole, but realize their original plan for EJ to take the time to mature as a QB to be ready for the NFL was and still is, the right one...I have no clue if EJ will ever be a good to great NFL QB, but I do know right now, as of today, he doesn't give the team the best chance to win based on what I have seen thus far...it really is too soon to determine what his long-term value will be as a QB, but I also agree that Drafting a QB high next year, i.e. 2nd or 3rd round, would make a great deal of sense. The BILLS could have their Rookie QB, EJ, and Orton all coming in ready to play and whomever wins that QB job, plays...presumably, if Orton plays well (and I'm not suggesting he will or he won't) Orton would keep that job for at least another year and not rush the Rookie QB or EJ into something unnecessarily....allow both of those QBs to learn and develop while Orton is holding the job and he's only doing that IF he is producing and playing fairly well, at least well enough for the BILLS to win....also, as others have stated, Fred is just one hell of a guy - in a day and age of narcissism and "me" centered philosophy it is truly refreshing to see a man like Fred conduct himself the way he has, all the more respect for Fred Jackson...

But which is more productive for EJ? I suspect neither - I don't know if Manuel has the testicular fortitude to bounce back from a benching. It's nice to see Jackson trying to help that out, though.

If FJ wasn't so boring, he'd be an asset to the team. [/TampaBob]