[closed]has the QB change given you a new sense of excitement?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point. He is a good backup but we know what he is. We don't know what EJ is.

We are complaining about EJ putting up 17 points on the road. That is what Orton has done for the majority of his career.

Our best wr is a rookie. And we would be really lucky to have anyone come close to Decker's production.

Orton had weapons. He is what he is.

That's the point. He is a good backup but we know what he is. We don't know what EJ is.

We are complaining about EJ putting up 17 points on the road. That is what Orton has done for the majority of his career.

Our best wr is a rookie. And we would be really lucky to have anyone come close to Decker's production.

Orton had weapons. He is what he is.

yes we sure do know what EJ is; very inaccurate, inconsistent, and he has poor field vision. Ask the FSU alumni if this is the same EJ from college and they will say yes. If you can't see that I am afraid you're in denial. The jury is out if he will improve but I wouldn't bet on it.

It gives me a sense that Marrone didn't want his team to implode, or his first round QB to self destruct by continuing to regress as the season went on. I'd rather bench a struggling QB in the 5th week than risk lowering the entire team's confidence to Manuel's level. Even Manuel has to know this was the right call. Giving Manuel the entire season at the rate he's going would have made it hard to keep any of the talent we do have on the team

it's like prying off an uncomfortable pair of shoes that aren't broken in yet, and slipping on a dirty old pair with broken laces and holes in their soles.

the pain will be replaced by embarrassment

Hah I was going to say the trophy wife who drains your pocket until you are almost bankrupted and then going back with the ex who's really good in bed but kind of average looking. I think yours is better.

It gives me a sense that Marrone didn't want his team to implode, or his first round QB to self destruct by continuing to regress as the season went on. I'd rather bench a struggling QB in the 5th week than risk lowering the entire team's confidence to Manuel's level. Even Manuel has to know this was the right call. Giving Manuel the entire season at the rate he's going would have made it hard to keep any of the talent we do have on the team

I am okay with it, not excited yet but I could get there. I think Detroit would (still could) be brutal and being 2-3 seems more likely with EJ in that game and the next after that for that matter. This shows me that at least the staff is more interested in being in it to win it (than just playing him for the experience).

That to me. is an important change from things in the past.

See, I don't think it is bad to sit him for that reason (the bolded above), he hasn't looked like "all that" and he was raw (as everyone always pointed out, when he was drafted). His lack of consistency in many ways doesn't seem like a lack of confidence, so I think he will see he has to improve and keep working on it. I thought the line play was pretty atrocious last week but EJ did do at least some things well. His accuracy was worrying but his decision making bothered me more, he seems to really have problems with both with a good rush in his face (I feel like the truly elite talents will have one or the other weakness with a strong rush, after they have matured, not both. JMO).

Most starting QBs do but most don't throw that ball to Watts (which I don't totally blame on EJ, cough cough Hacket!) but that was avoidable and mostly a bad playing decision (or execution, if you prefer). He is at least fine as a back up for now and we can see if he develops into something. If he can't handle being benched....well then he wasn't going to make something of himself anyway. I always wanted to have him have real competition for that reason. I am not giving up on him, it used to be that a QB sat a couple or few years, for a good reason.

I like Orton and have wished (a few times) in the past we would have picked him up. He can be a game manager AKA A.Smith, he has had a kind of weird career, he may or may not be better than Fitz but I think he might be. I loved Fitzy too but his time here was done, he was a better QB than EJ is at this point in his career but he wasn't a real good one either. We are lucky to have someone who can come off the bench and maybe be better. It is not a terrible place to be, really.

Edited by bowery4

that Tebow thing was a different animal. I'm sure his stats were worse than Ortons. That's alright. Even if he fails here, I commend Marrone and the Bills for refusing to settle for poor play and letting the next guy have a shot. It sends a good message to the team, to the fans and maybe even a free agent who might play here in the coming years.

Agree entirely

Yes we do; an inaccurate passer, which rarely improves.

People keep hammering on this "fact" even though it's not true. Accuracy improves almost as a general rule for the best passers. The stats for Rivers, Rodgers, Brady, etc reflect this. This could be in part because they become smarter QBs, arm strength is lost over time and higher completion % passes are built into the game, rapport with receivers is built, but it can improve.

Not at all. I want the QB carousel to end. This makes me less excited for the Bills' future.

I don't disagree with the decision, but wish it never had to be made.

This is not exciting. It's depressing.

Yep, the move had to be made, but here we are with no long term QB prospect and no first round pick. Watkins better turn out to be a f'ing Hall of Famer. The sad thing is, this was utterly predictable.

Everyone keeps clamoring about how much more accurate Orton is.

Completion percentages

Orton - 58.5%

Manuel 58.6%

Orton averages only 200 yds / game and has a 1:1 TD/INT Ratio.

While I still don't know how I feel about the move, I will say people expecting big things from Orton need to pull way back on their expectations.

Completion percentages

Orton - 58.5%

Manuel 58.6%

While I still don't know how I feel about the move, I will say people expecting big things from Orton need to pull way back on their expectations.

The big thing will be, will Orton recognize open receivers, and hit them. If he can do that, it'll be an improvement, even if he misses tight coverage passes like EJ does.

Completion percentages

Orton - 58.5%

Manuel 58.6%

Useless comparison as those stats are for quarterback play on two entirely different teams. Let's see what Orton's completion percentage is after a few games with this Bills team. I don't know if he will be more accurate or not, but your comparison isn't legit at all.

Typical for a Bills fan. Too many people who support this team get too excited about insignificant things. I admit it, when the NFL network mentions the Bills, I feel starstruck like someone is finally noticing us. WFAN in NYC reported Orton is starting. I almost went off the road...

Absolutely. Kyle Orton is what Fitz is. They are not great. They are below average, but they are still in the top 32 of QB's in the NFL. You want to replace them because they aren't superstars. Your team moves on from them because they aren't young. But they are still in the league because they are in the top 32 and can come in and give your team a chance to win; which is something EJ hasn't been doing this year.

Completion percentages

Orton - 58.5%

Manuel 58.6%

I'd rather my 58% be further down field than 5 yards. Look if he was any better, he'd be starting somewhere. The question is: Is he better that the 19 QBR who LOST TO THE TEXANS last week. I think it's worth a shot.

I just don't get all this ridicule of Marrone for benching a QB whom everyone can plainly see is struggling with the fundamentals of professional football. Lets look at the facts of how EJ is playing.

Fact 1 - He is missing wr's that are wide open, either not seeing them or seeing them and throwing a utterly un catch-able ball. (inaccurate)

2. - He almost never plants his feet when he throws. If he look at his foot work he's almost always on the balls of his feet or on his heels when he throws.

3. - most of his throws are a "touch pass" throws instead of a planted foot throw that has real velocity on it.

4. - Not able to read defenses (yet).

You add all these up and it's plain to see, he's not ready.

He was a "project" QB when he was drafted. They knew when they drafted him he would need time to develop which was why they signed Kolb. He was supposed to sit and watch a vet play.... not start.

If benching him now give him time to watch and learn how to be a Pro QB then do it. Orton has been around a while. Is he the answer to QB, HELL no, but EJ can carry a clip board and learn from Orton, who performs better than EJ in the areas EJ struggles (accuracy, planted feet throws, defensive reads ect..).

I think long term, EJ could be a great QB. He has many attributes that great QB's have, size, strength, escape-ability under pressure (sometimes), and he's smart. He just needs time to fix the issues with his fundamentals. Just not while he's playing as a starter.

BigPappy