EJ benched, Orton to start.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ Manual is done in Buffalo. He is the Chuck Knoblach of the NFL.

If Manuel has a Knoblauch-esque career, then we'd be in good shape. 4 all star games and 4 World series rings. Replace that with 4 pro bowls and 4 super bowls? I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat.

I know I may be in the minority here, but I've seen growth in Manuel's game this year. Still he has struggled the past couple weeks. But there are other issues with the offense which need to be addressed,. I'll be a bit surprised if this is the last we see of EJ. Like you, I hope he learns while watching, for now. I know I'm rooting for him.

I don't think I every said... glad you're posting again. But I am. It's always good to see well-reasoned, rational posts amidst the frenzy of emotions and conjecture.

I have to completely agree with you, and I guess that's why this move has me so perplexed. Just 2 weeks ago, we were 2-0 and EJ was talked about as an up and coming young QB with loads of talent. He was making strides from last season, managing games well, and leading the team with firey pre-game speeches.

After 2 games against good defenses he's raw, inaccurate, untalented and benched because he's single handedly losing games. I guess I just don't get it. How did he go from talented, young leader to useless bust so fast?

I'm all for Marrone doing what he needs to win. We all want the team to win. But, something about this just screams of desperation to me. That... or a power struggle behind the scenes. I really don't know. I just hope it all works out and we win some more games, starting this week.

I think this team has an opportunity to win now if they get adequate play from the QB position. That Houston game was winnable and EJ dropped the ball.

Argue all you want about game plan, but we had guys running wide open all day and Manuel missed them.

I don't know what we are getting with Orton, but I think with the AFC east truly up for grabs, the move had to be made for the team.

As I mentioned elsewhere, EJ looks way too stiff and is historically inaccurate. Those are very hard to coach out of a player. Too bad. I was rooting for the kid.

I know I may be in the minority here, but I've seen growth in Manuel's game this year. Still he has struggled the past couple weeks. But there are other issues with the offense which need to be addressed,. I'll be a bit surprised if this is the last we see of EJ. Like you, I hope he learns while watching, for now. I know I'm rooting for him.

I suspect we are in the minority but I agree with you. Manuel was always going to be a project and it is a shame there was no viable veteran behind him at the start, and also a shame he lost so much of last year. That said, the Bills are good enough to win now with even average QB play and I support the decision to play Orton if the coaches believe he can give them some consistency at the QB position. I think EJ will be back and am also rooting for him to overcome this setback.

I don't think I every said... glad you're posting again. But I am. It's always good to see well-reasoned, rational posts amidst the frenzy of emotions and conjecture.

I have to completely agree with you, and I guess that's why this move has me so perplexed. Just 2 weeks ago, we were 2-0 and EJ was talked about as an up and coming young QB with loads of talent. He was making strides from last season, managing games well, and leading the team with firey pre-game speeches.

After 2 games against good defenses he's raw, inaccurate, untalented and benched because he's single handedly losing games. I guess I just don't get it. How did he go from talented, young leader to useless bust so fast?

I'm all for Marrone doing what he needs to win. We all want the team to win. But, something about this just screams of desperation to me. That... or a power struggle behind the scenes. I really don't know. I just hope it all works out and we win some more games, starting this week.

I thought he was making progress after the first two games, but once he started getting hammered, I think he lost all confidence in himself. As bad as the OLine played last week, EJ still had the opportunities out there and he just couldn't come close to getting it done. I think the staff is doing the right thing by benching him right now. Let him sit and watch and learn, that's what was supposed to happen anyway. Let him compete next year for the starting job with Orton or whomever we bring in. He just looked terrible after getting knocked around.

By3buNwIAAAFkwG.jpg

@Sportsnet: #Bills blew it benching Manuel. http://ow.ly/C9HDh

"

I'm a Manuel supporter, but you can't look at just the stats. Look at how his confidence and accuracy has actually gotten worse as he got hit more and more. Those stats don't tell you what was happening to the other guys. Were they getting beat up as much, did they actually get worse or was there a steady climb game to game with an occasional bad game? This is one instance where stats don't tell the whole story, I hope he comes back next season better than ever.

I'm a Manuel supporter, but you can't look at just the stats. Look at how his confidence and accuracy has actually gotten worse as he got hit more and more. Those stats don't tell you what was happening to the other guys. Were they getting beat up as much, did they actually get worse or was there a steady climb game to game with an occasional bad game? This is one instance where stats don't tell the whole story, I hope he comes back next season better than ever.

He looks rather lost after being under constant duress the last two games. I cannot argue at all with Marrone's move to bench EJ.

@TSNDaveNaylor

@TDESPN tells #TSNDrive that EJ Manuel was "grossly overdrafted" and "not ready to play" in the NFL coming out of school #Bills

@TDESPN also said he believes the Bills decision to start Kyle Orton will benefit EJ Manuel in the long run. #Bills

He looks rather lost after being under constant duress the last two games. I cannot argue at all with Marrone's move to bench EJ.

@TSNDaveNaylor

The easiest way to categorize EJ is "risk-aversed."

The same can be said of zero of those other quarterbacks. Admittedly, I can't say that with confidence about early Drew Brees, but there's a reason why his name, and his name alone gets mentioned in the discussion of whether or not a QB can resurrect his career after an abysmal start...it doesn't oft happen.

But being risk-aversed is what got him a cold seat on the bench. I'd happily give up two picks a game if it meant chucking the ball down field and giving his receivers a chance.

The same can be said of zero of those other quarterbacks. Admittedly, I can't say that with confidence about early Drew Brees, but there's a reason why his name, and his name alone gets mentioned in the discussion of whether or not a QB can resurrect his career after an abysmal start...it doesn't oft happen.

But being risk-aversed is what got him a cold seat on the bench. I'd happily give up two picks a game if it meant chucking the ball down field and giving his receivers a chance.

This is a perfect description. I believe this has been coached into him, hell even Gruden knock him for it in his QB camp show. The problem is, I think, he is so busy thinking about that that he can't process every voice in his head. Last year when then wanted be to let lose in the second Jets game he looked great since then I think he has regressed.

While I agree with the overall sentiment, I seriously doubt you or the general fan base would be happy with the bolded part. That is basically Fitz's Achilles Heel and we hated him for throwing INTs. Also, if they happen at inopportune moments, the guy can have gaudy stats and yet end up on the losing end.

The basic problem with EJ in his last two games was not necessarily being risk averse - it was just that the guy couldn't see or hit guys who were wide open.

Edited by Fan in Chicago