body language by wrs

Tampa Bob

I feel Woods' frustration. I hear the qb and coach aren't afraid to point out drops to the media. It's a two way street.

An eye for an eye and the whole world goes blind.

If the receivers want to throw mini tantrums every time EJ's imperfect, then they damn well better be perfect themselves.

Spoiler alert: they haven't been. And that's not an excuse for EJ, it's a fact.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ looks as eratic Brett Farve did at this stage and slightly better than Troy Aikman did.

No. There are many reasons why this statement holds no water. First, it was a different league then and passing was a much more difficult thing to do in the late 80s and early 90s so comparing QBs from that era to now is not really possible. Second, EJ hasn't shown any flashes of being a competent NFL QB. Third it's a straw man argument because if anyone cared I could find you more than 2 non hall of famers who EJ has looked like but just throwing out to HoF names makes it seem like EJ has that kind of talent, but most talent evaluators never considered EJ to be an elite QB prospect.

I hope GG makes an appearance in this thread. Because his suspicions now appear warranted. I owe him a "you were right, looks like I was wrong."

That said. They need to get the !@#$ over and play the !@#$in game. Every time Woods makes a big !@#$ing production about the ball not being precisely where it was supposed to be, it's digging into HIS concentration and into his young team mate's psyche. Don't give a **** if he's right or wrong, you don't act like that in team sports. Pick the man up. Don't pout like a !@#$ing child.

Amen

This is 100% correct, and inexcusable at this level. Watch Brees and Romo tonight ... or Smith and Brady tomorrow night. If the ball is not delivered such that the receiver can keep his momentum and gain another 5 or more, or 'sit them down' away from the coverage, it's a bad ball to them.

EJ basically throws in the general vicinity of his checkdown targets. And because #3 refuses to ever fully stride into a throw, as if protecting his forward leg from getting rolled up on, this will not improve. You can read into how these guys react to his floating, drifting throws. It's almost like how much more of this **** do we have to put up with?

And for those demanding better play calls, or better O-line play, it's not as though you are totally off kilter, but when your QB is this incapable of providing a viable downfield passing threat, your game plan is up in smoke.

So that is what? 30 something years of combined experience between those QBs?

Edited by DirtDart

I think Woods ought to just man up and punch EJ in the face. Still think he's a good receiver, but he needs to show more leadership.

What are we, 8 years old? Man up and punch a teammate in the face? Do you get your worldview from playing rounds of Double Dragon? Jesus.

PS: if this is a joke, well done.

EJ had us in the game with under a minute to go on the road. Almost every game is coming down to the final plays.

Great evasion of the rush & throw on the move to Williams for an 80 yard strike.

I want to see more of this. Let's let EJ loose & let him gun the ball down the field.

Spiller & Jackson are old & don't dominate like they used to. If this were 2011 I say run it, but the NFL is a passing league.

There's no reason to make EJ a game manager. If he's going down let the kid go down swinging. From this point forward I'm talking 50 plus passes per game with maybe 10-15 rushes.

PUH-leeze - - I hope you are being sarcastic but I fear you are not. The 80 bomb to Williams was clearly nothing more than completely busted coverage by the Texans; plus, MW had to wave his arms frantically for EJ to even notice.

Spiller is old? Huh ??

50 plus passes a game for EJ? Seriously - what planet are you on?

After every terrible throw today, you could see the frustration by our wrs. They would look back at ej like what the hell was that. I'm sure that they are getting tired of being set up to get destroyed and seeing passes that most college qbs could hit going 5 yards over their heads. And there was clearly something wrong with watkins today and it wasn't the rookie blues. I suspect that he came into the game expecting ej to lay a stinker and it impacted his day...or maybe he had something personal going on, but I bet it is the crappy, soft qb. I am pretty sure ej has lost this group.

They definitely have their heads down

So that is what? 30 something years of combined experience between those QBs?

True, which means we might have to trot EJ out there for about 6 more seasons of development before truly seeing if he can muster up a competent level of quarterbacking. Perhaps by then, all of his mechanical issues will be worked out.

So be patient, there will have to be more suffering. Marrone will exit stage left, and the same goes for the next two HCs.

Well EJ sure hasn't looked good these past few games, I find it really hard to pin it on him. The offensive line has been absolutely terrible and so has the running game.

It all works together. Teams can focus on the Bills run game because they know EJ can't beat them with the passing game. He was horrid the last two weeks. If Marrone still has this team he will salvage what is left of a potentially promising season by pulling the plug on EJ and seeing what Orton can do.

EJ looks as eratic Brett Farve did at this stage and slightly better than Troy Aikman did.

For every great QB like Favre and Aikman that started out crappy there are scores of QBs that started out crappy and stayed that way. It is one of the worst (and most repeated) logical fallacies spewed out on boards like this. You've got to bring more to the table than "Look, I can name some great QBs that started out poorly, so EJ can be great too!" Aikman, for example, was the first overall pick in his draft and went to a horrible Dallas team. He was an incredibly well rated prospect, however. A slow start for him made a lot of sense due to his surroundings though.

Do tell me what is encouraging to you about EJ's game. He was thought of as a talented raw prospect who was big and athletic, but lacked accuracy and pocket presence. Where has he improved so greatly that you are encouraged? His pocket presence has improved, but his accuracy has not and he still misses too many reads.

Edited by BarleyNY

For every great QB like Favre and Aikman that started out crappy there are scores of QBs that started out crappy and stayed that way. It is one of the worst (and most repeated) logical fallacies spewed out on boards like this. You've got to bring more to the table than "Look, I can name some great QBs that started out poorly, so EJ can be great too!" Aikman, for example, was the first overall pick in his draft and went to a horrible Dallas team. He was an incredibly well rated prospect, however. A slow start for him made a lot of sense due to his surroundings though.

Do tell me what is encouraging to you about EJ's game. He was thought of as a talented raw prospect who was big and athletic, but lacked accuracy and pocket presence. Where has he improved so greatly that you are encouraged? His pocket presence has improved, but his accuracy has not and he still misses too many reads.

He can't tell you anything positive because EJ has shown zero flashes of being a competent QB. It's a lazy comparison with some HoF names thrown in because he thinks it makes a point.

It all works together. Teams can focus on the Bills run game because they know EJ can't beat them with the passing game. He was horrid the last two weeks. If Marrone still has this team he will salvage what is left of a potentially promising season by pulling the plug on EJ and seeing what Orton can do.

After the game yesterday and seeing the prevailing sentiment on this board, I too first thought that EJ should be benched now till Orton proves to be worse. But, giving it more thought, I think it may be better to (as painful as it may sound), stick with EJ till the bye week. We are 1/4th into the season - if Orton starts next week, it will take about 2-3 games to understand how he compares to EJ due to rust, opponent etc. If he is worse, the what does Marrone do ? Go back to EJ and do the RJ/Flutie two step ?

I think whatever and whenever (and if) Marrone makes a switch, it has to be one-way for this season. Because not only will that resonate for this season, it will for 2015 as well. My suggestion (objectively and not emotionally) is to stick it out with EJ and allow him to further sink or figure out a way to swim. At the bye week, make a final decision for the rest of this season. That will give Orton sufficient number of games to show what he (still) has. Then we will truly know what the depth of the doo-doo is for next season.

After the game yesterday and seeing the prevailing sentiment on this board, I too first thought that EJ should be benched now till Orton proves to be worse. But, giving it more thought, I think it may be better to (as painful as it may sound), stick with EJ till the bye week. We are 1/4th into the season - if Orton starts next week, it will take about 2-3 games to understand how he compares to EJ due to rust, opponent etc. If he is worse, the what does Marrone do ? Go back to EJ and do the RJ/Flutie two step ?

I think whatever and whenever (and if) Marrone makes a switch, it has to be one-way for this season. Because not only will that resonate for this season, it will for 2015 as well. My suggestion (objectively and not emotionally) is to stick it out with EJ and allow him to further sink or figure out a way to swim. At the bye week, make a final decision for the rest of this season. That will give Orton sufficient number of games to show what he (still) has. Then we will truly know what the depth of the doo-doo is for next season.

However the problem may be the way they are teaching him how to swim. I think this is a big reason he is not playing well. I think he probably has talent and may very well have potential, but I think he has been coached scared to play the game.

However the problem may be the way they are teaching him how to swim. I think this is a big reason he is not playing well. I think he probably has talent and may very well have potential, but I think he has been coached scared to play the game.

Be that as it may, coaching philosophy regarding EJ is unlikely to change in the next few weeks after 1.25 seasons. For one reason or the other, I don’t think EJ is inherently inaccurate as evidenced by some good throws this season (The Grimes breakup on Watkins, Chandler sideline tip-toe etc). I think there is two problmes with him: (1) a fraction of panic that sets in between the time he decides on the target and then proceeds to throw the ball. He feels the need to throw immediately as opposed to taking that one extra fraction of a second to set and make the right throw (2) Mechanics – still needs to set his feet and power his throwing motion. Maybe this is the definition of ‘the game is too fast for him’

Anyway FWIW, not sure if these are fixed first (if at all) or does the coaches patience run out before that.

Edited by Fan in Chicago