Ej lost the game

Kirby Jackson

remember, last september is the only other time hes completed 4 consecutive games, so we might actually see some growth with him out there week in and week out if he stays healthy. continuity, building routines, etc.... it didnt work this week, but thats not to say that its impossible for it to come together.

But he has gotten progressively worse as the season wore on. Last week there was a silver lining that EJ had yet to have two bad games in a row. You can throw that out the window. We can also stop pretending that preseason didn't matter. It did, because that's where he lost the trust of his receivers. His bad play is becoming contagious, and it would be best for the team if he sat down for a bit.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ has been bad, and Hackett is worse IMO. It appears that Hackett can't game plan worth a crap, just like our QB can't hit an open receiver.

Which means that the HC can't either. You can't tell me that he isn't intimately involved in game planning. He'd be the dumbest HC in the history of the NFL if he isn't. He's from that side of the ball and his OC has struggled mightily. Gotta wonder what's going on at OBD. I can understand if they haven't taken the wrapper off of much of the play book, but, the plays that they do call are often head scratchers. We won't know until it happens, but, I'm not sure it matters much who is behind center.

That's a good question because Orton isn't the answer. He is a stopgap at best. I would guess that they take a run at Sam Bradford next year. A pretty hard run. Maybe they look at Cousins or RG as well. This team is ready to compete everywhere but QB IMO. I really have no idea what the rest of the season looks like.

O Line continues to be issue, hoping it's growing pains with the two guards. Rest of team appears ready to compete. But QB is the most important position and the absolute hardest to fill. I'd go after Bradford and the Washington leftover as well.

you start Orton at Detroit. not the best place to start Orton, but so what. sink or swim. the season is not lost yet. it will be if you stick with EJ until the bye week.

if your an Orton fan, the best scenario is to give EJ det & NE. then give Orton the min, nyj, kc, mia, nyj, cle stretch of games.

O Line continues to be issue, hoping it's growing pains with the two guards. Rest of team appears ready to compete. But QB is the most important position and the absolute hardest to fill. I'd go after Bradford and the Washington leftover as well.

Agree with your assessment. Richardson will be okay I think but Pears was really having a hard time yesterday. The LBs may struggle some of Bradham is out (I never heard the prognosis but it didn't look good). They are just a much faster unit with he and or Kiko out there.

But he has gotten progressively worse as the season wore on. Last week there was a silver lining that EJ had yet to have two bad games in a row. You can throw that out the window. We can also stop pretending that preseason didn't matter. It did, because that's where he lost the trust of his receivers. His bad play is becoming contagious, and it would be best for the team if he sat down for a bit.

and crazy enough, guys have strung together 2 bad games and turned it around. progress isnt always a straight line. Im not saying im betting my house on EJ - just that theres a chance he gets better still.

you start Orton at Detroit. not the best place to start Orton, but so what. sink or swim. the season is not lost yet. it will be if you stick with EJ until the bye week.

if your an Orton fan, the best scenario is to give EJ det & NE. then give Orton the min, nyj, kc, mia, nyj, cle stretch of games.

Is anyone an Orton fan? He may be the tallest midget but he isn't Aaron Rodgers.

Yep, EJ is so good, he just needs help. C'mon really? Stop with the excuses already!

I am not "excusing EJ". Did I not say that the JJWatt INT cost the game, that one mistake was a horrific mistake.

I'm blaming the TEAM!!!! And I'm blaming the play calling!!!!

beg your pardon, please answer my questions - then go ahead lay all the blame on EJ.

How many dropped passes did the Bills have?

How many seconds did EJ have on passing plays?

The stats tells the story,

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400554212

This was a push game for 2 middle of the road teams.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Which means that the HC can't either. You can't tell me that he isn't intimately involved in game planning. He'd be the dumbest HC in the history of the NFL if he isn't. He's from that side of the ball and his OC has struggled mightily. Gotta wonder what's going on at OBD. I can understand if they haven't taken the wrapper off of much of the play book, but, the plays that they do call are often head scratchers. We won't know until it happens, but, I'm not sure it matters much who is behind center.

I'm going to defend the offensive coaches here. The last couple of weeks, I've seen play after play where multiple Bills receivers were wide open -- and I mean wide open -- yet the QB missed them by a mile or made the wrong decision. I don't think the scheme is bad at all, and it's a sad fact that to put points on the board in the NFL you have to freaking throw the ball down the field. Whether it's Hackett or Marrone who is designing these passing plays, they're doing a good job scheme-wise. One could say that they should know that their QB can't make those throws and hence abandon deep passes, but if they were to do that they may as well run up the white flag now. A competent QB wins that game easily yesterday, and the Bills are 3-1. Put, say, Tony Romo on this team and the Bills are scoring a ton of points. Also, the defensive coaching -- half of the game, remember -- has been good in both years, and far better than in the previous regime. Half the battle of head coaching is locating and hiring the right assistants, and Marrone has done that on the defensive side. Pettine and Schwarz are both quality DCs.

and crazy enough, guys have strung together 2 bad games and turned it around. progress isnt always a straight line. Im not saying im betting my house on EJ - just that theres a chance he gets better still.

There is that possibility, but it's getting smaller & smaller. But I don't think you get there by forcing him in the lineup now. I think there's a higher chance of ruining him, because I haven't seen the ups & downs, I've seen a steady regression.

I'm going to defend the offensive coaches here. The last couple of weeks, I've seen play after play where multiple Bills receivers were wide open -- and I mean wide open -- yet the QB missed them by a mile or made the wrong decision. I don't think the scheme is bad at all, and it's a sad fact that to put points on the board in the NFL you have to freaking throw the ball down the field. Whether it's Hackett or Marrone who is designing these passing plays, they're doing a good job scheme-wise. One could say that they should know that their QB can't make those throws and hence abandon deep passes, but if they were to do that they may as well run up the white flag now. A competent QB wins that game easily yesterday, and the Bills are 3-1. Put, say, Tony Romo on this team and the Bills are scoring a ton of points. Also, the defensive coaching -- half of the game, remember -- has been good in both years, and far better than in the previous regime. Half the battle of head coaching is locating and hiring the right assistants, and Marrone has done that on the defensive side. Pettine and Schwarz are both quality DCs.

I hear ya, but if another thread is accurate...6 carries by FJ & CJ combined in the 2nd half of a very winnable game?

Really, really good post Dave. Spot on

Is anyone an Orton fan? He may be the tallest midget but he isn't Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think Orton can lead a team to the Super Bowl, but, if he has grasped the offense, he'll be an upgrade over an imploding EJ -- I think they can go 8-8 or 9-7 with Orton, maybe get lucky and sneak into playoffs --- if EJ plays like he did the past 2 weeks -- this team is destined for 4-12 or 5-11 --

There is that possibility, but it's getting smaller & smaller. But I don't think you get there by forcing him in the lineup now. I think there's a higher chance of ruining him, because I haven't seen the ups & downs, I've seen a steady regression.

when its 4 weeks and the last two were bad, theres not even time to tell a story besides regression. thats part of why i say let him play into or out of the lineup... figure out what the story is.

I don't think Orton can lead a team to the Super Bowl, but, if he has grasped the offense, he'll be an upgrade over an imploding EJ -- I think they can go 8-8 or 9-7 with Orton, maybe get lucky and sneak into playoffs --- if EJ plays like he did the past 2 weeks -- this team is destined for 4-12 or 5-11 --

Yeah, they will be better with Orton. There is a sub segment of people on here that think that he is "the answer." He is a better option but not more than a band aid.

when its 4 weeks and the last two were bad, theres not even time to tell a story besides regression. thats part of why i say let him play into or out of the lineup... figure out what the story is.

at the expense of this season?

We don't/can't know how the team would respond to Orton, but, are you willing to sacrifice 2014 to make yourself 100% sure that EJ isn't the answer?

I'm not convinced that the Miami game was good. I still have no idea why Koyle called a defensive plan that catered to EJ's few strengths.

at the expense of this season?

We don't/can't know how the team would respond to Orton, but, are you willing to sacrifice 2014 to make yourself 100% sure that EJ isn't the answer?

having seen a lot of orton - hes not getting us a trophy this year, so yes. i would risk not seeing orton play in order to let the guy our staff went all in on play more than 4 consecutive games once in his career.

lets not assume orton would "salvage" the season, or that it would be fully lost if EJ plays.

Agreed. This was one of those that you just expect your QB to win for you, because in reality you need him to do so little. Fitzgerald throws INT on critical opening drive of 3 rd quarter in minus territory, down 10. You just need your QB to cash in a twenty yard drive to take a commanding lead, and he kills you. He makes all of one play the rest of the way, and it's too little too late. Your defense holds a team to 16 on the road, well your starter just HAS to be good enough to engineer a win there, EJ wasn't. Time to make a change?

He didn't need to win it for us, he just needed to not lose. He overthrew wide open receivers and even though the OC decided to abandon the run and force us into offensive futility through the air, the defense kept us in the game until the last drive, when EJ DID lose the game for us in craptacular fashion.