Best subs

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will need to try it... desperate for anything that resembles a real sub around here!

In Hamburg

Haven't visited this thread in a while...for chains I too would recommend Penn Station. If you go you have to get the fries. If you're lucky they'll be giving away chocolate chunk cookie samples the day you go.

In Los Angeles, sadly, there's only one option if you're take your subs seriously. A place called Bay Cities. As close to a New York deli as you can find out here.

TOGO's in your area? I used to like their Ruben subs.

What about a dive joint called The Hat? They're in the Ontario area. If you're ever out there give them a try.

I have a buddy who swears by jersey mikes, but I have never tried it. Any thoughts?

pass

there's nothing in Austin that I think even comes close to being halfway decent, but there's still a couple or so places I haven't yet tried. I figure that there are just some foods that are primarily regional if you want the good stuff.

I worked in the kitchen at Transit Lanes when I was a teen, where I first learned how to make pizza, wings, and subs. one thing I found to be common among the better sub places was that they all used Costanzo's sub rolls. for my taste, Costanzo's are the best there are.

it's been long time since I was in the Buffalo area (1983 to be specific), but the best subs I remember having were at John & Mary's, as well as a little place on Main st in Williamsville called Fran's.

there's nothing in Austin that I think even comes close to being halfway decent, but there's still a couple or so places I haven't yet tried. I figure that there are just some foods that are primarily regional if you want the good stuff.

I worked in the kitchen at Transit Lanes when I was a teen, where I first learned how to make pizza, wings, and subs. one thing I found to be common among the better sub places was that they all used Costanzo's sub rolls. for my taste, Costanzo's are the best there are.

it's been long time since I was in the Buffalo area (1983 to be specific), but the best subs I remember having were at John & Mary's, as well as a little place on Main st in Williamsville called Fran's.

Indeed. There are a couple bakeries in NF NY who make better bread, but not sub rolls--at least not any used by any sub place. Ontario Bakery (I think) in NF Ontario makes good sub rolls and I think that is what Viola's uses.

Edited by The Dean