Positional Needs

Astrobot

I'm soliciting Positional Needs for DraftTek's October Mock, which will be out on Friday Oct. 3. I use TBD's opinions exclusively to submit the Bills' needs here. This is what I currently would submit:

P1=QB. If Manuel isn't the guy, you have Kyle Orton. Period. This is Priority 1. Examples of RD2 QB selections? Kaepernick was #36 overall in 2011.

P2=OG. Pears and Chris Williams? Meh. Cyril is one promising OG, Marrone doesn't like Urbik even though he was Top 5 OG in 2012. You could talk me into P3 and convince me Kujo could move inside...

P2=TE. Anybody think we should have taken Jace Amaro in RD2 last year? Gragg has promise, granted, and Lee Smith is a great blocker with like 12 career catches, and there's fragile Chandler...Talk me into P3?

P2=CB. Once a week one of the Bills brass says "You can never have too many corners". I'm not sold on McKelvin and Gilmore, although I like Graham. Marrone says we have 3 good corners. We need great.

P3=DE43. Hughes-Lawson combined make one above-average DE, as Hughes rules vs pass and Lawson vs run. Mario shows flash but not $75M flash, and doesn't always hold the edge. Schwartz loves DEs.

P4=RBF. "Running Back, Featured" has 2 guys on last year of contract, with Boobie Dixon and Bryce Brown waiting in the wings. Not a top need, but RBs can be had in RD6-7-UDFA.

P4=RT. Seantrel is in a steep learning curve, and has very promising upside, but ProFootballFocus.com still has Henderson in the bottom 5 RTs in the NFL. Cordy's contract is up May '16.

P4=OC. Bills brought in Macky McPherson and tried OGs at Center in TC. Wood is good and is a leader, but he's lightest guy on the line that's the heaviest in NFL. His contract runs through the '17 season.

P4=DT43. Dareus showed immaturity before his TC but is almost great, Kyle is one of the 5 oldest on the team. Charles and Bryant look good. I could see P6, but think pressure is high priority for Schwartz.

P4=ILB.Spikes is a temporary fix for the run defense but has no range compared to Brown playing in the middle. Spikes is rated extremely low by PFF (#56 among ILBs). We need a Hightower, Kuechly, Willis.

P4=FS, SS. We have three above-average safeties ranking 4th (AWilliams) and 14th (Searcy) among all safeties. Duke is 10th vs the run. Byrd who?

P6=OLB43. Once my highest need, I am jumping on the Bradham-Rivers-Alonso-Brown bandwagon. I think we're good, and we're deep. Randell Johnson will be good. Talk me into P4 or higher.

P6=FS, SS. We have three above-average safeties ranking 4th (AWilliams) and 14th (Searcy) among all safeties. Duke is 10th vs the run. Byrd who?

P9=RBC. "Running Back, Change Of Pace" is CJ Spiller. Possible that the Bills would draft his replacement or competition, but I'm betting not. What do you think?

P9=WRF. "Wide Receiver, Featured" has Sammy, Robert Woods, and Mike Williams. It's unlikely they draft another young WR this coming year.

P9=WRS. "Wide Receiver, Specialized" is Marquise Goodwin. Team speed is important to Hackett, but unless you argue for better hands over more accurate throws, I think we have a good one in Goodwin.

P9=FB. Fullbacks Frank Summers and a tanklike Boobie Dixon are good for what we use FBs for in our system. One could argue picking up a late-round guy as they start coming off in RD6.

P9=LT. Cordy Glenn is approaching elite-level, with a work ethic to match. Seantrel and Kujo are developmental LTs. I don't expect Glenn to be kicked inside to OG. Only question mark is the mystery illness.

P9=PK. Placekickers shouldn't be drafted and we have a great one.

P9=P. See above.

What position would you upgrade the need for and why? What would you downgrade?

Astro

What position would you upgrade the need for and why? What would you downgrade?

Upgrade: Coaching staff (all of them).

Upgrade: QB

Downgrade: N/A

Watching the SU Orange get beat by Maryland last week I came away from the game pretty much knowing that the Bills were going to lose to San Diego. Well, SU got throttled by Notre Dame last night. I wonder how the Bills are going to do in Houston, today...?

Upgrade: Coaching staff (all of them).

Upgrade: QB

Downgrade: N/A

Watching the SU Orange get beat by Maryland last week I came away from the game pretty much knowing that the Bills were going to lose to San Diego. Well, SU got throttled by Notre Dame last night. I wonder how the Bills are going to do in Houston, today...?

I don't think you understood the idea of what positions to "upgrade" and "downgrade", QB is already priority #1, it cannot be graded any higher of a need. And let me know when the coaching draft is, and we'll talk about the needs, there, then.

I'd have to put some more thought in to this, but my snap takes are that I agree in general with your needs. QB obviously #1 bc even if EJ becomes the guy, they should have another solid developmental prospect.

I don't like to peg positions into rounds, but I hope they've got a QB graded and available in the 3rd at the latest- assuming they don't trade up again somehow. As long as they make good picks, I'd like to see CB and QB as their first two picks.

TE and OG are high priorities, but I would hope they don't feel the need to use anything higher than a 4th round pick on either. Just pick the right guys- easier said than done, of course. I'd also like to see some depth added at DE, DT, and C but perhaps those can be added in FA.

I think they'll be fine at LB even if Spikes walks. I like what I've seen out of Preston Brown and company so far. I'm also not worried about the tackles at this point, but ask me again toward the end of the year.

I like Goodwin a lot but I'm worried about his durability. I'd take a look at mid to late rounds WR as well. Caveman Mike seems to have bought in, but just in case *something* happens, I don't want to completely rely on Goodwin as the 3rd WR.

That all said, and without looking at a draft board in September, I think I'd go: P1 QB and P2 CB. Then P3 for TE, OG and DE. P4 DT, C, S, and WR.

Edited by uncle flap

ALREADY AHEAD of you .im watching the de's at this point using a second rd pick that is. three de's are ranked in that area at this time, There is BYU's KAUFUSI,,,,,,OREGON DE .ARIK ARMSTEAD AND BAYLOR 'S SHAWN OAKMAN ,,

TES OHIO STATEs HEUERMAN and RUTGERS TE are worth watching..they are in 3rd rd projections currently

QB EJ needs to get it together .....i dont see we have the pick to replace him till 2016 .so why reach

Obviously right now two OG's, and a top TE. No other area of the team has this great a need IMO.

Things could change on the QB aspect, and should Cyril Richardson, Chris Hairston fail to improve the line play then we won't even know if EJ can fulfill his potential.

If this team doesn't win more then eight games then the coaching staff should be the first priority. I don't see how Marrone keeps his job considering he is a supposed O line guru, and yet fields one of the worst lines in recent years.

everything is spot on Astro and in order.

My round 2 QBs are Connor Cook and Sean Mannion. I'd like Cook more but would take either.

Cook is my guy too, if he comes out

ALREADY AHEAD of you .im watching the de's at this point using a second rd pick that is. three de's are ranked in that area at this time, There is BYU's KAUFUSI,,,,,,OREGON DE .ARIK ARMSTEAD AND BAYLOR 'S SHAWN OAKMAN ,,

TES OHIO STATEs HEUERMAN and RUTGERS TE are worth watching..they are in 3rd rd projections currently

QB EJ needs to get it together .....i dont see we have the pick to replace him till 2016 .so why reach

Oakman is a beast but I wonder if he is more athlete than player, I wont be upset if we get him though.

What does that have to do with the Bills?

QB, then a QB, then a QB, then a QB, then a QB, then BPA.

You knew I'd take the bait.

RD2---Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

RD3---Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

RD4---Chuckie Keeton, QB, Utah State

RD5---Shane Carden, QB, ECU

RD6---Cody Fajardo, QB, Nevada

RD7---Rory Anderson, TE, South Carolina

'Bot, you're one of my favorite posters. Love the passion and developed expertise you have in college e v a l and your camp updates!

We MUST get a QB, and I do mean Now! Draft picks will likely have to be sacrificed to pull a quality -if declining- vet still under contract, though Palmer, Bradford or even Brady may come available next off season. I truly believe we're built to compete now in this Parity-realized League, and a bona fide vet can take us well into the playoffs.

If there are picks to spare AFTER addressing said 1st need, then we will ALWAYS need DB's (sorry Bill) and anything 'through the middle' ie: OL, DL, LB, RB, S.