Anybody wish Pettine was still here.

rfk

Pettine looks like a badass NFL coach, but I don't think his defense was all that great. It was fun to watch, and the players were able to pad stats. They blew too many games giving up big plays. I'm glad Marrone is our coach. He is going to keep improving. I'm glad he ditched the visor. Now it doesn't look like he is golfing or coaching a college team down South.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Schwartz is fine. Actually I think he is doing quite a good job. He adjusted well after half time against the chargers. I think they only had one sustained drive in the second half that resulted in a TD. Regardless, the defense kept getting the ball back to the offense. The D does what it has to which is something Pettine's D could never do

Actually the Bills defense was 4th best in the league at only allowing 5.34 plays/drive. They were getting the ball back to the offense at an incredible rate. The whole no huddle thing last year really skews what you see on television.

The Bills defense was also #1 last year in only allowing 25.78 yards/drive. That is incredible!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Actually the Bills defense was 4th best in the league at only allowing 5.34 plays/drive. They were getting the ball back to the offense at an incredible rate. The whole no huddle thing last year really skews what you see on television.

The Bills defense was also #1 last year in only allowing 25.78 yards/drive. That is incredible!

yup - if dropped into 2014 to play with this years offense, i think youd see a lot of the volume stats for pettine look much better. it was a strong unit put in a lot of bad spots.

Edited by NoSaint

Robey got benched because of his own poor play. Brooks went in for him. The blitz doesn't work with Rivers.

This is just more Schwartz stupidity. The only play Robey got burned on was an illegal pick/rub. That's not worthy of benching the guy, and Brooks wasn't out there a few times vs the 3 wr sets. It was Preston Brown on Eddie Royal. That matchup will get us killed every time. Robey is far better than Brooks. Chargers could have put up a lot more points than they did, had they actually needed to.

This is just more Schwartz stupidity. The only play Robey got burned on was an illegal pick/rub. That's not worthy of benching the guy, and Brooks wasn't out there a few times vs the 3 wr sets. It was Preston Brown on Eddie Royal. That matchup will get us killed every time. Robey is far better than Brooks. Chargers could have put up a lot more points than they did, had they actually needed to.

OK.

no way. This D would be fine if McKelvin remembered how to play, and Gillmore stopped regressing every year. If we had more DB's playing well ( like Grahm and Williams) we'd be dominant. Also, lets not forget we are missing arguably our best D player this year. Kiko.

no way. This D would be fine if McKelvin remembered how to play, and Gillmore stopped regressing every year. If we had more DB's playing well ( like Grahm and Williams) we'd be dominant. Also, lets not forget we are missing arguably our best D player this year. Kiko.

think some of it might be coaching? maybe pettine was good for mckelvin with scheme and assignments and teaching, for instance?

not arguing it either way, as i have no idea behind closed doors at TBD - just seems possible.

yup - if dropped into 2014 to play with this years offense, i think youd see a lot of the volume stats for pettine look much better. it was a strong unit put in a lot of bad spots.

Probably. They were on the field I think the most in the NFL last year and they were top 5 in the league at plays and yards/drive. That is a telling stat. This is why the casual observers hate Pettine. They just see the bulk stats.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The run defense is what kept Sunday's game from being a complete blowout. To take it a step further, the run defense is why we even still had a shot in the fourth quarter.

And it wasn't for lack of trying. 62 yards on 31 carries should be an UNFATHOMABLE statline for anyone who's watched this team for the last decade.

Through three weeks our run defense stats are:

76 att for 251 yds @ 3.3 y/c

Compare that to the first three weeks with Pettine at the helm:

107 att for 465 yds @ 4.5 y/c

Game to game, winning is more dependent on run defense than it is sacks and picks.

Being unable to stop opponents from running when it matters has cost this team at least two games a year each year for the past decade. To see progress in reversing that trend is refreshing, to say the least.

Edited by The Big Cat

The run defense is what kept Sunday's game from being a complete blowout. To take it a step further, the run defense is why we even still had a shot in the fourth quarter.

And it wasn't for lack of trying. 62 yards on 31 carries should be an UNFATHOMABLE statline for anyone who's watched this team for the last decade.

Through three weeks our run defense stats are:

76 att for 251 yds @ 3.3 y/c

Compare that to the first three weeks with Pettine at the helm:

107 att for 465 yds @ 4.5 y/c

Game to game, winning is more dependent on run defense than it is sacks and picks.

Being unable to stop opponents from running when it matters has cost this team at least two games a year each year for the past decade. To see progress in reversing that trend is refreshing, to say the least.

with this offense, maybe. small ball, keep the passing game in front of you. have a shot at the end. with an effective offense, that puts pressure on the opposing offense, ill take a defense that likewise pressures.

im still curious to see where the defense falls on this long term as his YPC stats havent been traditionally stellar. good, but its something im curious to watch week to week and see if its giving up trash yards that has skewed him in the past or if it crops up as a bit of an issue

Edited by NoSaint

Were talking about the Bills roster and Mike Pettine here. Please review the thread and get back to me.

We're talking about Mike "Sack-Happy" Pettine, whose Bills D with the Bills roster last year was what, 26th in the league for running yards given up?

At least some of our apparently-good pass D was that teams didn't pass on us, why should they when they could just run all da@# day.

No.

(...)

A sensible kitty

with this offense, maybe. small ball, keep the passing game in front of you. have a shot at the end. with an effective offense, that puts pressure on the opposing offense, ill take a defense that likewise pressures.

im still curious to see where the defense falls on this long term as his YPC stats havent been traditionally stellar. good, but its something im curious to watch week to week and see if its giving up trash yards that has skewed him in the past or if it crops up as a bit of an issue

The offense isn't built for small ball, and I don't believe that it's the strategy the coaching staff would ideally employ.