For those who love Shawshank Redemption...

Canadian Bills Fan

Good stuff. I wonder how much more success it might have had at the box office if it was released during the internet age, when 'word of mouth' means across the globe rather than across the back fence. Look at how a movie like Slumdog Millionaire that had no expectations of success exploded thanks to the interwebs.

Totally screwed over by Forrest Gump, which was a very good movie (and I'm being generous). But Shawshank was leaps and bounds better. Better written. Better acted. Better all around. Easily the best movie of that year.

Shawshank is one of the reasons I do what I do. It's pitch perfect in every scene, brilliant performances and wonderful writing. It represents the best of American cinema in my mind.

You're a librarian in a prison? BROOKS???? YOU'RE ALIVE!???!?!?!??!!?

Shawshank is one of the reasons I do what I do. It's pitch perfect in every scene, brilliant performances and wonderful writing. It represents the best of American cinema in my mind.

It really is difficult to find any fault with it. Sometimes I neglect how good it really is because they just made it look so easy.

It really is difficult to find any fault with it. Sometimes I neglect how good it really is because they just made it look so easy.

What also makes that movie is an epic soundtrack. If you are a movie score enthusiast, this is a classic. "Brooks was here" is as haunting as it gets.

Absolutely agree with you both. I've broken up with women who bad mouthed the movie.