the 90 passer rating - the new benchmark for average

dave mcbride

Holy crap! The new passing rules are definitely working out in the QBs' favor. A 90 rating used to be the sign of a borderline elite QB. No longer: http://espn.go.com/n...arterbackRating .

I agree the ave QBR has increased over the years, but perhaps 3 weeks is too early to call a dramatic change over recent years. Give the Ds some time to figure out the new wrinkles in the offenses(and new QBs) and we will likely see the number of QBs with 90+ QBRs closer to 10(like the previous bunch of years), rathef than the 18 we have so far this season.

Edited by Dibs

I agree the ave QBR has increased over the years, but perhaps 3 weeks is too early to call a dramatic change over recent years. Give the Ds some time to figure out the new wrinkles in the offenses(and new QBs) and we will likely see the number of QBs with 90+ QBRs closer to 10(like the previous bunch of years), rathef than the 18 we have so far this season.

last year had 18 over 87, which isnt a much different cutoff

Not just opposing Ds - give the weather some time to get nasty. Haven't seen too many wipeout games yet, but they're coming.

last year had 18 over 87, which isnt a much different cutoff

Very true. The new rules might make an average 3 point jump this year.

I'm interested now to follow this through the season and see what happens. :)

Not just opposing Ds - give the weather some time to get nasty. Haven't seen too many wipeout games yet, but they're coming.

Another good point. Again, I'm definitely going to follow this concept with interest this season.

Very true. The new rules might make an average 3 point jump this year.

I'm interested now to follow this through the season and see what happens. :)

Another good point. Again, I'm definitely going to follow this concept with interest this season.

I dunno. The number of defensive holding and illegal contact penalties has gone through the roof. That has to be having a big effect. Not only will receivers be more open; QBs can eliminate from their stat line the incompletions/INTs that were nullified by ticky tack holding/contact penalties.

Edited by dave mcbride

http://www.nfl.com/s...=2&d-447263-n=1

#22 rated QB -- Tom Brady, that's 1 spot behind Fitzpatrick and 2 spots in front of EJ

I'm finally starting to believe that it may not simply be the bad cast around him, and that he may actually be slipping. It's early, however, and he's coming off a very strong season last year (regardless of his rating).

I'm finally starting to believe that it may not simply be the bad cast around him, and that he may actually be slipping. It's early, however, and he's coming off a very strong season last year (regardless of his rating).

and sooner or later his "boys" were due to be booted from the team by BB. Now he's got maybe 1 or 2 good friends on the O? Edelman and Gronk

It's flag football now. Kirk "freaking" Cousins threw for over 400 yards! All passing stats from today's NFL need an *.

That said, td to int ratio is still a good stat. I also like red zone and 3rd down %. I'm sort of kidding but I think the Bills should just throw bombs every 6 plays. You can hit a big play, probably get a flag, or worse comes to worst, it's a punt.

I don't follow your read. EJ is 90+, Tommy is around 80.

when I click on the link it places the QB's in order. I assumed that order meant a ranking from best to worse. It's passing yards not QBR my bad ...

when you sort on QBR PASSER_RATING EJ's 90.8 is better than Tom's 82.9..

http://www.nfl.com/s...G_PASSER_RATING

So I guess my point is that the Cinderella QB, Tom Terrific has close too or worse stats than EJ

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever