[closed]ESPN Sportscenter reports that within hours of Rice knockout

Hplarrm

The Ravens had a detailed report about the film from the elevator about Rice slapping, knocking out and then dragging his wife out of the elevator.

They also said that when Harbaugh heard he wanted to cut Rice but the Ravens FO said no. They then sent GM Newsome out knowing about the videotape to urge folks not to draw conclusions about Rice until they had the full story. The Ravens also set up the presser where Janay Rice apologized (fir hitting her hubby's hand with her face no doubt.

If the Ravens knew, then they either were incredibly dishonest with Goodell or Goodell also knew and was incredibly dishonest with the world.

Some heads need to roll.

This is disastrous for the Ravens. Wow. Quite the cover-up by the team and the NFL. If the story is true, rice has a case for appeal.

And yet.... I imagine the ravens will survive just fine. How many folks do you think traded in their rice jerseys for Suggs ones?

Yes, but would who would break the corporate ranks and sign him?

not sure about this year. But the indefinite suspension might be lifted. I don't condone what he did, obviously. It was deplorable. But the team said he was not forthcoming. He was extremely forthcoming according to the report. And if the report is true, he should have gotten 6 games and maybe the Ravens still cut him. But not suspended indefinitely.

I realize that everyone apparently likes to jump on the bandwagon against the NFL and Goodell.

My question is why would Goodell want to cover anything up? I understand why the Ravens may have wanted to do so.

Goodell has a history of not hesitating to punish players for all sorts of things. Big Ben was was suspended for 6 games initially for an alleged sexual assault and he was not even indicted. It was later reduced to 4 games. Ricky Williams was suspended for a year for smoking pot. Nigel was suspended for a game a year after the fact and the charges had been dropped.

Goodell suspended Ray Rice for two games. That is not a cover up. I thought that was too light even before I saw the video from inside the elevator. Suspending a guy - whether it is two games or indefinitely - is not a cover up.

Before the release of the video from inside the elevator, most of us were shocked by what we saw from outside the elevator. Most of us thought two games was two light. Most of us also did not know what preceded Rice dragging his fiance out of the elevator.

If Goodell had seen the video from inside or knew what happened, he clearly made a huge mistake and lied about it and should no longer be commissioner. If he did not, I do not think a suspension of just two games is cause (in and of itself) for firing Goodell. I realize that this is an unpopular opinion. Presuming he did not know, we can disagree with the length of the suspension (I still think that he should have been suspended for a longer period of time even without seeing the video from the outside). Yet, is the mistaken length of the suspension cause for firing Goodell?

Taking a moment to try to look at it from Goodell's perspective: The specific allegation of the prosecutors in the state of New Jersey "Complaint - Court Summons" was that he struck "her with his hand, rendering her unconscious."

http://www.cbssports...cee-unconscious

It does NOT state that he punched her with his fist as we all now know he did. Interestingly, it is undisputed that the prosecutors saw the video. Why did they not allege that he "punched her with his fist" as opposed to striking her with his hand.

After Rice plead not guilty to a third degree aggravated assault, the prosecutor agreed to allow him to enter a pre-trial diversionary program. This is how the prosecutor described it:

“After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law it was determined this was the appropriate disposition,” acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Jim McClain said in a statement.

http://articles.balt...ce-janay-palmer

For some reason, the prosecutor (who we know saw the video from inside the elevator) did not think that what had happened was serious enough to go forward with the case or seek any kind of real punishment.

From the same article, its states that both Rice and his fiance were initially charged with simple assault. Also from the same article, Rice and his fiance were married "days later."

So the question becomes, if this is what you know (both parties initially charged, no allegation of being punched or hit with a fist, no real punishment, and the parties get married days later), does Goodell deserve to get fired under those circumstances? We also do not know what Janay told Goodell about what happened when they met (I seem to recall that he met with both of them). We probably have a pretty good idea of how she portrayed what had happened based on her twitter response to the indefinite suspension.

If Goodell actually saw the video or knew that Rice punched her with his fist the way he did prior to only giving him two games, then all of the above goes out the window and Goodell should go. If he did not know, I have a hard time concluding that he should be fired.

I am NOT in any way condoning what Ray Rice did. It was absolutely horrible and goes against how I was brought up by my parents. I just don't understand how people seem to be transferring what Rice did on to Goodell. Are people being overly critical (based on what we actually know so far) in this instance because they have some other axe to grind with Goodell or the NFL?

People also seem to be making these sweeping conclusions about NFL players. The vast majority of these guys are good guys. They should not all be tainted by guys like Ray Rice. I do not know this for a fact, but I dare say that the incidents of arrests etc. of NFL players probably is about the same of the general population of 20 something men in the US or not too far off.

As an aside, some of you may recall that Deion Sanders and his wife continued to live in the same mammoth house a few years ago while they were going through a divorce. Apparently, they had an argument and she began to hit him. Deion ran away and some people accused him of being a wimp. I thought that Deion was VERY, VERY smart.

I have told my older son this story to illustrate a point. Regardless of what a girl or woman may do to you, NEVER EVER hit a woman. You should just leave and/or cover up.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter

@BeauBishop: Ravens response: 'The OTL article contains numerous errors, inaccuracies, false assumptions and, perhaps, misunderstandings.' Around we go.

@ProFootballTalk: Ravens' response is predictable and insufficient. List the alleged errors and rebut them. Don't paint with broad brush.

[This is an automated response]<br />

<br />

This subject matter is being currently being discussed or has already been discussed in a previous thread. <br />

<br />

Please consider using the "search" function before starting new topics. <br />

<br />

Thank you.