Jeremy White: All-22 Review - Bills/Dolphins

26CornerBlitz

That pick is going to draw a flag sooner rather than later.

It could/should have been called on the TD play. They ran the same play earlier for a huge gain and Chandler pretty much just ran his route and mucked things up for the defense. That isn't a penalty. I expect the officials to be looking for picks by Chandler this week and equally expect Bills coaches to run those kinds of things and just tell him don't be obvious.

Can someone review the play where EJ threw the ball at the feet of Robert Woods. Did Woods make the wrong read on that play? To me, it looked as though he was the "hot" read on that play and should have broken off his route.

Looked to me like EJ just hurried the throw and it was a bad one. He didn't have any time whatsoever. As soon as he planted they were on him. But he got the ball off and should have been able to complete it. Good QBS complete that pass most of the time. That was one of about 3-4 bad passes he threw. Not simple. Had to hurry it. But he needs to make that pass and he missed it.

If you watch the first video, EJ's first read is wide open (you have to watch it right as he releases the ball, his eyes were fixed on the receiver but shift over to his dump option to make the pass. The reciever he first looked at was coming across the middle wide open and he didn't go to him. We won but i'm just curious what was wrong with read 1 on that play? Would have gone for more than the dump yardage they ended up with on that play.

Looked to me like EJ just hurried the throw and it was a bad one. He didn't have any time whatsoever. As soon as he planted they were on him. But he got the ball off and should have been able to complete it. Good QBS complete that pass most of the time. That was one of about 3-4 bad passes he threw. Not simple. Had to hurry it. But he needs to make that pass and he missed it.

Good QB's miss some throws as well.

If you watch the first video, EJ's first read is wide open (you have to watch it right as he releases the ball, his eyes were fixed on the receiver but shift over to his dump option to make the pass. The reciever he first looked at was coming across the middle wide open and he didn't go to him. We won but i'm just curious what was wrong with read 1 on that play? Would have gone for more than the dump yardage they ended up with on that play.

Cant see it at work, but could it be that there was a high safety not in the picture that he was about to run behind?

Actually it looked to me like a hot read that Woods missed - EJ saw the blitz and threw the quick slant where a hot read ordinarily would've led the WR to, but Woods wasn't there. Could be wrong.

It could/should have been called on the TD play. They ran the same play earlier for a huge gain and Chandler pretty much just ran his route and mucked things up for the defense. That isn't a penalty. I expect the officials to be looking for picks by Chandler this week and equally expect Bills coaches to run those kinds of things and just tell him don't be obvious.

I don't know for sure but I think he has completed that pass to Woods - it might have been last year. I feel like I have seen it before, it was either for a TD or a 2pt conversion. I hope to see it again, this time complete. Woods can make those catches 9/10.

The thing is, on the Chandler pick, he didn't engage, he ran into the guy, put his hands up (as you do when you're about to run into someone), then turned to the QB, like he was running to a spot to be a secondary/tertiary option.

It can be called an illegal pick, sure, but he was also clearly running to a spot, imo.

Edited by Dorkington

It's a fine line. If Chandler looks back to the QB like he's expecting a pass at the last second, he can pretty much run over any defenseman, and might even draw a defensive penalty.

Right but on the TD pass, he straight up blocks the dude like it's a screen pass. He locked arms. From my vantage point at least.

Right but on the TD pass, he straight up blocks the dude like it's a screen pass. He locked arms. From my vantage point at least.

I completely agree; that deserved a flag. My point is if he's a bit smarter about it, it might not draw a flag eventually, at least not against us.

Actually it looked to me like a hot read that Woods missed - EJ saw the blitz and threw the quick slant where a hot read ordinarily would've led the WR to, but Woods wasn't there. Could be wrong.

That's the way it looked to me too Coach. EJ saw the blitz and anticipated Woods to break route.

Another play that puzzled me was the shotput pass EJ attempted under duress. It looked like he was going to FredEx with that pass but Fred was held by defender

Good QB's miss some throws as well.

Hence I said "most of the time."

I don't know for sure but I think he has completed that pass to Woods - it might have been last year. I feel like I have seen it before, it was either for a TD or a 2pt conversion. I hope to see it again, this time complete. Woods can make those catches 9/10.

It was too quick. Woods did make a diving catch last year on similar play but both EJ and Woods had more time. Woods had no time to dive IMO. Listening to Marrone this week describe those missed plays, I think it was on GR but not sure, he seemed to imply the first one to Woods was on EJ and the second one to Watkins was more on Watkins not reading the safety or running the correct route EJ expected him to. He didn't come right out and say it but to me that is what he was saying.

Maybe he just wanted to go through his progressions just for the sake do doing so, as some here have suggested? Wouldn't want to be accused of staring down receivers, after all.