To all of the EJ bashers

DirtDart

You absolutely do draft projects in the 1st round and it happens all the time.

OMG....is this really a retort?

And you cant throw out prior QBs in EJ's face......especially ones that we had no shot at. Every situation is different.

Over the past dozen or so years, name some of them?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You absolutely do draft projects in the 1st round and it happens all the time.

OMG....is this really a retort?

And you cant throw out prior QBs in EJ's face......especially ones that we had no shot at. Every situation is different.

GMs that draft project QBs that are regarded as mid round talent in the first round get fired. You DONT do it. If you want to insist upon it's sound reason then that says all sorts of things about you.

John, I get it. I want our QB woes to be over too. But they're not!

Aaron Rodgers says hi. Drew Brees missed the bus, barely, but is also present.

If there's a guy I like to bet the farm on, it's the guy whose position has only produced 2 successful QB's in 20+ years.

The last successful first round project was almost 10 years ago. Let's celebrate!

Edited by FireChan

GMs that draft project QBs that are regarded as mid round talent in the first round get fired. You DONT do it. If you want to insist upon it's sound reason then that says all sorts of things about you.

John, I get it. I want our QB woes to be over too. But they're not!

Dude....they do tend to get drafted later in the first round I will grant you that.....I absolutely thought Aaron Rogers was a developmental QB. Lets keep in mind here that Kolb was here that first year and got hurt. My stance is that Kolb was supposed to be the starter last year and it didnt work out....but that train has left the station.

QB woes wont go away by starting a backup QB and sit the 1st round pick when the team is 2-1.....that is the definition of insane. And yes I do think Orton is a decent QB.....but you just dont do that.

To be fair....if we based it off last years performance I think we ALL thought we had a backup QB in Thad

It's a fair point, though I'm not sure it was as universal as it seemed then. I was never impressed with Tuel or Thad whenever I saw them live. Neither one inspired much confidence and had the Bills been in a true playoff hunt last year instead of circling the drain, I think their deficiencies would have been harped on more.

You could argue the G situation is still a problem (and be awarded a medal for being obvious), so you're probably correct. But it's tough to overturn an entire roster in one season, so I tend to give Whaley a pass for the crime that was Justin Rogers.
I wouldn't say that. Its really difficult to plan losing you top 3 corners Brooks, Mcloving and Gilmore all suffered injuries within a week. Not sure what Whaley could do there

Fair points Gents.

Aaron Rodgers says hi. Drew Brees missed the bus, barely, but is also present.

Those are isolated cases, and in no way support history & odds.

If you look at the draft over the last 20 years' of first round QBs, the odds of success for a QB picked outside top 10 drop dramatically (and get worse outside top 12). If a team didn't have a top 10 pick, they had nearly equal odds of getting a staring caliber QB in the second round than they did in latter half of 1st round.

That's why it's not common for teams to pick a project in the first round, because the smart ones know you can fish for a project later on.

If you look at the draft over the last 20 years' of first round QBs, the odds of success for a QB picked outside top 10 drop dramatically (and get worse outside top 12). If a team didn't have a top 10 pick, they had nearly equal odds of getting a staring caliber QB in the second round than they did in latter half of 1st round.

That's why it's not common for teams to pick a project in the first round, because the smart ones know you can fish for a project later on.

Oh for christ sake.....WE DID NOT HAVE DRAFT POSITION TO TAKE ANY OF THE TOP QBS

To be fair....if we based it off last years performance I think we ALL thought we had a backup QB in Thad

I think you're exaggerating ALL, a little bit. I think there was a pleasant surprise at some of his throws, but rest assured not EVERYBODY was happy that he came into camp as the incumbent back up, with Tuel & Dixon in tow.

Oh for christ sake.....WE DID NOT HAVE DRAFT POSITION TO TAKE ANY OF THE TOP QBS

Oh for Heavens sake, get the point. If you don't have the draft position to take a top QB, then you shouldn't reach for a project late in round one. If they want to preach analytics, they should have learned the basic statistics of success rates of late first round QBs.

Except Duder wasn't talking about history and odds. He said "NEVER," and I pointed pretty easily to two examples in the past 10 years. Outliers? Sure. Precedents? Yes.

Dude....they do tend to get drafted later in the first round I will grant you that.....I absolutely thought Aaron Rogers was a developmental QB. Lets keep in mind here that Kolb was here that first year and got hurt. My stance is that Kolb was supposed to be the starter last year and it didnt work out....but that train has left the station.

QB woes wont go away by starting a backup QB and sit the 1st round pick when the team is 2-1.....that is the definition of insane. And yes I do think Orton is a decent QB.....but you just dont do that.

John, buddy, think about what you're saying. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say cause it doesn't really make sense.

Basically you're validating EJs selection because of Rogers. Rogers slid big tiiiime.

Then what you're saying is because Kolb got injured I have to grant excess patience to EJ. No. And that doesn't make sense. I don't care about the 'master plan'.

Then you're missing the biggest point. It's do or die for the Doug's. They don't want to get fired. EJ looks like a bust. Everybody thinks so except for a faction of Bills fans. But to everybody else EJ is a joke. And they're right. Being that the the Doug's have to win NOW who's their best shot at survival? EJ or Orton? What would you do if you were them? Would you risk your career on EJs shoulders? I doubt it.

And yeah, I've seen enough to know the guy doesn't have it. EJ is what he was on Sunday. He'll have a great play like that dance party he had escaping pressure before his pass to Chandler. Then he's the guy who throws out of bounds from the end zone... That's what he is. Inconsistent.