question re Seantrel contract

zazie

I keep reading that rookie contracts cannot be renegotiated for 3 years at least.

Does that mean that if we have a starter from day 1 in Seantrel, he cannot get better than 7th round money for three years?

Seems a bit draconian and unfair if so.......

I am not sure 100% sure on the 3 year deal , it does change for some guys based on draft position, and may be different for undrafted guys as well.

I do know however that the NFL does have a program for guys like him that far outplay their draft position and gives them additional money. Burfict is a great example of this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutdown-corner/bengals-linebacker-vontaze-burfict-leads-nfl-performance-based-154851176--nfl.html

I am sure Seantrel will be eligible this year for some cash as long as he does not get EJ killed today.

Draconian means unnecessarily harsh or severe. I don't see how making six figures to play a game for 4 months qualifies.

I believe the OP intended to write archaic. I would agree. If a 7th round pick plays like a starter, and if his team wants to reward him monetarily, I believe they should be able to.

Perhaps it should only be during their rookie season that they shouldn't be allowed to renegotiate. JMO.

I'm sure there's a whole lot of us being paid less than we're worth, especially those who just joined the workforce. We deal with it.

This reminds me of the Parker/Byrd "lost wages" argument. The Bills "underpaid" him in his rookie contract, ergo he was due a lot of "make-up" money to be made whole.

That argument's a steaming pile of poop.

He was still a 7th rounder. And 7th rounders are just that for a reason. He made his bed...

Plus, I'm not so hot on giving any player, 1st rounder or UDFA, with less than 3 years experience a reason to hold-out.

Winner. Winner. Chicken dinner.

This is exactly why the NFL and NFLPA agreed to the no renegotiated contracts/performance based pay system for players with.less than 3 years. Save more pie for the older verterans.

Edited by TDRupp

I keep reading that rookie contracts cannot be renegotiated for 3 years at least.

Does that mean that if we have a starter from day 1 in Seantrel, he cannot get better than 7th round money for three years?

Seems a bit draconian and unfair if so.......

Dear Seantrel,

Do you hear that? It's the sound of the world's tiniest violin and it plays just for you.

Sincerely,

Russell Wilson

I'm sure there's a whole lot of us being paid less than we're worth, especially those who just joined the workforce. We deal with it.

That argument's a steaming pile of poop.

Or, you know, the opposite. It kinda passes me off to see guys with 20 years less experience come in making essentially the same wages. Football is kinda like real life in that sense. loyalty doesn't pay. Plenty of guys in my field move from company to company, getting a pay boost with every move, while guys like me carry the biggest load, and receive 1.5% annual increases.