Has Roger Goodell's Handling of Ray Rice Incident Devalued the NFL

BonJovi

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a child, but I know pedophiles are bad.

You know what empathy is, right?

What is wrong with you?

A guy knocks out a woman (I don't care what the reason) and initially got 2 games. Roger PRETENDS he's not seen the film. [sarcasm ... who knows the truth?] NOW Rice is suspended indefinitely.

A guy smokes a joint or two, doesn't hurt anyone gets penalized worse than someone who the physical attacked someone else!

Which violation of NFL policy tarnishes the shield more?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Legality is a reflection of societal standards. It has everything to with the NFL's code of conduct which should serve as a complement to state and federal law. Don't you remember nothing?

Wrong. State and federal law serve as a complement to the NFL's code of conduct.

Apparently I remember better than you. You've got it backwards, you idiot.

What is wrong with you?

A guy knocks out a woman (I don't care what the reason) and initially got 2 games. Roger PRETENDS he's not seen the film. NOW Rice is suspended indefinitely.

A guy smokes a joint or two, doesn't hurt anyone gets penalized worse than someone who the physical attacked someone else!

Who is this guy?

Rice is cut, and suspended. What more do you want?

Edited by FireChan

What is wrong with you?

A guy knocks out a woman (I don't care what the reason) and initially got 2 games. Roger PRETENDS he's not seen the film. NOW Rice is suspended indefinitely.

Which offense Tarnishes the shield more?

I love the way everyone now knows for a fact what Roger Goodell - a guy who runs a league that can't even consistently and reliably see offensive holding - has and has not seen.

Can we close this? This whole discussion is dumb and has nothing to do with the original title anymore

This is the most entertaining thread on the board right now. If this one gets closed due to your whining I will tell duck you're a lonely single woman who is interested in getting stoned and digging up old outhouses.

Is it that The NFL really hates paying the players so they ban everything in sight... Then they don't have to pay. This gives them time to sit on the money. They know players are going to screw up, I guess make it worth The Leagues while if they buy time with out having to pay out a salary/contract. Or they can can collect a fine and just transfer the money (from that fine) somewhere else.

Not saying domestic violence isn't a valid reason to cancel a contract... It is. But, what about all the other ticky tacky stuff?

That's cool.

I honestly can't relate to how mad and worked up a lot of people have gotten about this whole thing. Ray Rice is a deuche. He is now basically out of the NFL because he got caught being a thug on video. I thought Goodell did his job. I think Goodell probably thought the accusations weren't as bad as they sounded. Players get accused of things all the time. So he had a light penalty at first. Then he sees the video and realizes that it is worse than he every thought. So Ray Rice gets suspended. And now people want to hang Goodell for not suspending him originally. And they are accusing him of lying about the video. I may be wrong but I believed him when he said he didn't see the video earlier.

So I see the whole thing as Roger Goodell being made a scapegoat for the thug like behavior of Ray Rice. And that is a shame in my opinion. I just think the general public should butt out of it. Leave all this to Ray Rice, his wife, their families and the police. It's not about football. The whole thing has been blown way out of porportion just like the OJ trial was. That is my opinion.

I totally agree with you on this one. Those casting the NFL as a villain in all this have BS political agendas they are trying to bolster. The NFL is no more responsible for any of this than any corporation is responsible for the private behavior of any of its employees. The point that the NFL actually has a player code of conduct they try to enforce is a feather in their cap. The Rice incident is a law enforcement manner.

I love the way everyone now knows for a fact what Roger Goodell - a guy who runs a league that can't even consistently and reliably see offensive holding - has and has not seen.

sarcasm off /

RG demanded film / tape from NE and then after viewing them destroyed the tapes (the thing called Spygate) did he not?

RG supposedly had film on a guy asking for "their bounty" with New Orleans for a hit on Favre

Why wasn't there a demand for the tape from inside the elevator?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

To answer the original question, yes, I think that in combination with other things -- the concussion crisis, high profile crimes like Hernandez, the guy for the Chiefs who killed his girlfriend and then himself, the far-too-frequent thuggery of the league's players, the abomination that is big time college football, and Gregg Williams' despicable behavior in New Orleans just a few years ago, to name just a few -- the league is possibly (emphasis on possibly) on the cusp of a broader crisis. Bear in mind that 41 percent of viewers of the league are women (according to report from a couple of years ago), and it's easier to lose people than one might think.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/ready-football

You know, you think a thread is hot garbage, and then in comes someone with a post that starts "The liberals *yadda yadda yadda*..."

New depths in deep thought here.

That's one thing I liked about Simon. He kept that **** off the main board and relegated to PPP where it belongs.

What is wrong with you?

A guy knocks out a woman (I don't care what the reason) and initially got 2 games. Roger PRETENDS he's not seen the film. [sarcasm ... who knows the truth?] NOW Rice is suspended indefinitely.

If the penalty for possession is 6 months, and petty theft is 3 months, and we agree the latter is worse than the former, should we increase the penalty for theft, or maybe decrease the penalty for possession?

I hope she isn't underage or else rob' house will ask for pics (see page 1 of this thread)

He said she was 17 and beautiful. I was curious. Is that wrong? I mean, I realize her daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me.

That's one thing I liked about Simon. He kept that **** off the main board and relegated to PPP where it belongs.

If the penalty for possession is 6 months, and petty theft is 3 months, and we agree the latter is worse than the former, should we increase the penalty for theft, or maybe decrease the penalty for possession?

He said she was 17 and beautiful. I was curious. Is that wrong? I mean, I realize her daddy says she's too young, but she's old enough for me.

Age of consent is 17 or lower in every state but Delaware. That wannabe Chris Hansen better check his facts!

Age of consent is 17 or lower in every state but Delaware. That wannabe Chris Hansen better check his facts!

Reminds me of a completely OT story.

My friend recently got back together with his degenerate ex because he's lonely living out in the country. She told my wife about how the guy she just broke up with was a registered sex offender, but it wasn't a big deal because the girl was 17 and he was 21. I'm guessing she didn't know that in VA the age of consent is 16, meaning the girl had to have been 15 or younger at the time.