Welcome back Jauron-ball, and Iike it

GG

The blueprint is there. Keep battling to the end, keep the score under 20 points, preferably 17, and give the offense the chance to pull out a win in the end.

While there was a lot of gnashing of the teeth as it seemed that Bennett & Forte were carving up the middle of the Bills defense, the unit held firm when it counted. After spotting Bears the quick opening drive score, the vice closed. This defense is built to do what very good defenses do, stop opponents from scoring. They may not set franchise records for statistics, but they should be good enough to be a position to win.

To borrow a past phrase from years past, they may not count on three turnovers per game to help keep the scoring down, but there were enough positives from each defensive unit to feel good about this team. I don't remember the last time we were so evenly stocked at the three defensive units.

Of course the main difference from the real Jauron-ball is that the offense is more talented. I also liked that Hackett never went into panic mode and asked EJ to play a game that's not comfortable for him. He stuck to the run, which obviously wore out the Bears defense. EJ pulled off some nice looking screens, and a couple of better executed blocks would give much better gains. Just keep building on the little things.

I have a feeling the sequel will be better than the original.

Props for Jauron's strategy, and optimism from GG.

Mondays after a Bills win are THE BEST!

On topic: 3 backs with 50+ yards is a sign of a broken defense up against fresh legs.

The big gain from Boobie that should have netted a field goal (thanks, Chandler) and Freddy's (more or less) game winner were no flukes. Hackett's game plan yesterday was sound.

As for the defense, Schwartz has been in the ring with Cutler enough times to know how to break him down too. The defense did an excellent job of playing their game and letting Cutler make the mistakes that were inevitable. This, of course, was mostly possible thanks to the individual performances of Graham and of the d-line which kept the pressure on Cutler right until the end.

A punt in overtime? Surely this Bills defense comes from bizzaro-world!

Props for Jauron's strategy, and optimism from GG.

Mondays after a Bills win are THE BEST!

On topic: 3 backs with 50+ yards is a sign of a broken defense up against fresh legs.

The big gain from Boobie that should have netted a field goal (thanks, Chandler) and Freddy's (more or less) game winner were no flukes. Hackett's game plan yesterday was sound.

As for the defense, Schwartz has been in the ring with Cutler enough times to know how to break him down too. The defense did an excellent job of playing their game and letting Cutler make the mistakes that were inevitable. This, of course, was mostly possible thanks to the individual performances of Graham and of the d-line which kept the pressure on Cutler right until the end.

A punt in overtime? Surely this Bills defense comes from bizzaro-world!

...and they didn't even get a taste of Bryce Brown.

You're probably right, but I don't know if we'll face a team with as strong a 1-4 of weapons as Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte week in, week out. And that's without mentioning Holmes who was a star a few years ago. Those guys can hurt you, especially when you only need two yards. Ds have to pick their poison between Bennett and Forte on 3rd and short.

I think this D can look even better, especially when the crowd gets loud at home, and if Gilmore becomes who we want him to be. More LB depth with Bradham in the mix will help, too.

You're probably right, but I don't know if we'll face a team with as strong a 1-4 of weapons as Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Forte week in, week out. And that's without mentioning Holmes who was a star a few years ago. Those guys can hurt you, especially when you only need two yards. Ds have to pick their poison between Bennett and Forte on 3rd and short.

I think this D can look even better, especially when the crowd gets loud at home, and if Gilmore becomes who we want him to be. More LB depth with Bradham in the mix will help, too.

2nd best Offense in the NFL last season, if I remember correctly. I think they only way you can play a team like that is Jauron-ball. I suspect the defense will continue to improve.

Great minds...

My Schwartz v Pettine post is essentially saying the same thing.

The only stats that matter, allow fewer points than your own.

Yup.

I never hated Jauron ball on the defensive side, but I hated how badly he handled offenses in his career. Imagine the powerhouse team that Jauron & Gailey can put together.

How about this as a counterpoint (enjoying the back and forth):

I don't think we can call Schwartz a great defensive mind yet - and we never may be able to. But one of the great things about the teams that Belicheck has assembled is that they are versatile. You often think of wanting a defense to dictate, and to take it to the other team. But my hope is that when we need them to play Jauron ball, they can. When they need to send waves of pressure because that is the best way to beat a particular opponent, they can. When they need to sit back and blanket everybody, they can. I hope we have a defense that can meet the challenges of any opponent.

Because seriously, NE can beat the Jauron ball strategy. Brady is just too quick and not as likely as Cutler to make mistakes. Not saying it doesn't happen or that he won't get worse as he gets older. Just something to consider.

I don't think we can call Schwartz a great defensive mind yet - and we never may be able to. But one of the great things about the teams that Belicheck has assembled is that they are versatile. You often think of wanting a defense to dictate, and to take it to the other team. But my hope is that when we need them to play Jauron ball, they can. When they need to send waves of pressure because that is the best way to beat a particular opponent, they can. When they need to sit back and blanket everybody, they can. I hope we have a defense that can meet the challenges of any opponent.

Because seriously, NE can beat the Jauron ball strategy. Brady is just too quick and not as likely as Cutler to make mistakes. Not saying it doesn't happen or that he won't get worse as he gets older. Just something to consider.

i was just thinking something similar, wondering if his game plan will change significantly with a home game and what looks like a good running attack? Then there's SD @home the following week

Guess we will find out soon enough.

When I look at the defensive depth chart, the one thing that jumps out is the talent and versatility. As others pointed out, Bills won't often see teams with Marshall, Jeffery and Holmes too often. That should free up the safeties to play the middle a bit more, with Corey Graham being the x-factor swinging between CB & S depending on the opponent. I see that working against Brady. They kept Brady's pass game in check last year, I don't expect a 200 yd game from this year's version of Blount either.

bleah...jauron ball...what year did he win the super bowl again??

i'm loving being 1-0, but i am not sold yet at all. they're not going to win the turnover battle every week. they'd better start getting to the passer...are they really going expect to be successful rushing 4 guys all year? it will not happen.

and they will not score enough points throwing 22 times a game to win more than they lose. you got the weapons hackett...now get them downfield and use them.

if you want to see what our RBs can do, let's create a situation where opposing teams are actually worried about our passing game. until then, i will just be glad we escaped this one. go bills.

The blueprint is there.

Yep.

It's having the quality depth that's been lacking for many, many years. Backups that can step in and play at a high level, either by necessity (Graham, Preston Brown) or to keep the starters fresh (Lawson, Charles, etc.).

That was the real difference maker I saw yesterday. Instead of wilting in the fourth quarter as the starters wear down, the D was still stout and forced the the critical punt to get the ball back in OT.

That's what winning teams do and I'm excited to see how it continues...

Edited by Lurker

Brady looked horrendous in the 2nd half yesterday against Miami

There were a couple of intermediate / long passes to Woods and Willams that didn't happen very long under Jauron (probably as much a reflection of the QBs as Jauron.) And the receivers made catches, even though they weren't right on the hands. This needs to keep happening (it happens for all the other teams with top qbs, so don't discount it.)

In the end, this team reminds me more of the recent Super Bowl Giants teams. Great D-line, everybody else just needs to be good enough.