Insights Gleaned from the SEA-GB Game

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Seattle use the screens, sweeps and Harvin in motion with impressive results. Green Bay had no answer for it all night long.

You see if I am Nate Hackett I brush my ego aside a little bit and pull some of those screens out from the Chan days and I always have at least one receiver in motion.

you will complain we are throwing the ball to Sammy "behind" the line of scrimmage

My point is we have no patience to let any QB develop.

And my point was, yes every QB we have had since Kelly has been given an opportunity to show what they had, and not much of it was good. Nobody has been run of out town who shouldnt of been run out of town.

13. The Bills could have drafted Russell Wilson.

And so could have every other team at least twice, several had 3 shots at him. I can guess, though, that it was patently obvious to you that the 5'11" QB that NC State told to take a hike after his Junior season would be a very good NFL QB.

One thing I noticed from the Seattle defense, on top of their absolute dominance, was that their tackling technique was textbook. This past off-season, they took a page out of the Rugby-for-dummies textbook and instilled it in their defense. This technique helps to cut back on injuries and also penalties. In the game of rugby, players are required to wrap up their tackles, and are penalized for leading or charging with their shoulder. Pretty interesting read.

http://www.theguardi...es-safety-rugby

thanks for posting this. it's a new take on old drills that seem to have regained their importance with the advent of too many head and neck injuries. Carrol's a great old coach - so the concept of 'breaking down' - squaring up to the ball carrier, dropping your hips, and keeping your eyes up - before driving thru the numbers was something he probably was coaching our very own Bills DBs back in '84.. so kudos to him for recognizing that over the years the effort to teach sound fundamentals ended for most young men in pop warner, and finding new methods to teach.

my own sons are tired of hearing me rant how the game would be far safer with less equipment.. that guys would have to temper their aggression with some measure of caution - but since that's never going to happen in the pros- getting back to basics is the best a coach can do for his players.. teach proper techniques and make sure they get their full sets of squats done in the weight room :thumbsup:

When the TE made that nice reaching catch up the sideline, Collinsworth said something that I have believed for a long time:

In this league the QB has to give his players a chance to make a play. These are world-class athletes out there.

-Implied in this statement is

(a) He was NFL open

(b) Some QBs wouldnt have even thrown that ball.

That's what I liked about Tuel.

Edited by maddenboy

When the TE made that nice reaching catch up the sideline, Collinsworth said something that I have believed for a long time:

In this league the QB has to give his players a chance to make a play. These are world-class athletes out there.

-Implied in this statement is

(a) He was NFL open

(b) Some QBs wouldnt have even thrown that ball.

That's what I liked about Tuel.

Good point on Tuel. The only problem is all too often his below average arm strength gives world class athletes from the other team a better chance than his intended target to make a play on the ball. I don't think he'll ever have any real success at the NFL level.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

How about the fact that both Rodgers and Wilson are extremely patient QBs who take time to let plays develop? Additionally, both are quite adept at making something out of nothing when plays break down.

And that is possible if the OL can hold off the DL and give the time for WRs to get to their positions. Our OL is a big problem with consistency. Again at the end of the day the small plays here and there make a big difference. That was the biggest diferrence between a Flutie Vs Johnson or Edwards vs Losman or Edwards Vs Fitzpatrick.

And my point was, yes every QB we have had since Kelly has been given an opportunity to show what they had, and not much of it was good. Nobody has been run of out town who shouldnt of been run out of town.

I think we did do that to Flutie and Bledsoe. Bledsoe went on to have a few good seasons with Dallas and Flutie did a few good tricks down in San Diego.

Good point on Tuel. The only problem is all too often his below average arm strength gives world class athletes from the other team a better chance than his intended target to make a play on the ball. I don't think he'll ever have any real success at the NFL level.

Correct - in a field full of world class talents tuel could occasionally make a play but would consistently be putting us higher risk of bad outcome due to his shortcomings. All 90 qbs on nfl rosters right now could make some nice throws here and there - but despite those 90 guys being pretty world class in the 90 out of billions sense - collinsworths was talking about world class out of that already small group.

What we saw Thursday was what the NFL is going to be in 2 or 3 years. Brees, Manning and Brady will be in their last flickers of success. We will have QB's like Kaep, Wilson and Flacco who manage the game and make great reads to give their team success. We will have QB's like Rodgers, Luck, Rivers, Newton and Rothlisberger at the very top managing their game and but playing QB at the highest level.

With the prospects I see coming out of college football recently and in the future I do not see that elite talent that we had just 7-9 years ago. Teams will end up overpaying for Kaep, Flacco and Wilson when the quality simply is not there because they manage the offense like a 90's QB would when power running, giant OL and mauling football was an every down event.

Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are the prototypes for what you will find on defense. Sherman is not, too thin and unable to handle the brute force of the RB's that will start to emerge this season. You will also see Harvin, Spiller, Bush, Antonio Brown and other quick flash on the field players find the open space and be the other half of football. A QB will not matter at that point because getting the ball to the RB or that open space in the middle of the field or just off tackle is not going to be very hard.

Been saying this for years, be ready for old school football!

I saw Seattle use the screens, sweeps and Harvin in motion with impressive results. Green Bay had no answer for it all night long.

Harvin's success has as much to do with defenses having to respect Russell Wilson and Lynch as it does with Harvin's talent. When we have a QB who can keep a defense honest, the other talent will flourish.