Chiefs Sign Alex Smith to a Four Year Extension

@RapSheet

The #Chiefs are finishing up a 4-year extension for QB Alex Smith worth roughly $17M per year, I’m told. Includes $45M in guarantees.

@RapSheet

The extension for Alex Smith, first reported by @TerezPaylor, gives KC stability at the QB position for years to come, gives Smith security

@AroundTheNFL

Pen in hand RT @KCChiefs Chiefs and QB Alex Smith agree on a long-term contract extension: http://chfs.me/1vBv6PZ

. pic.twitter.com/XuZimI9AQB

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

17 Million a year? His career high of 23 TDs (last year no less) entering his tenth year in the league is pretty average IMO

Really shows the cost of not having a QB I guess

Not surprised with the dearth of quality starting QBs in the league.

The NFL is currently desperate for QB's. There isn't enough talent at the position to fill all 32 starting roles. No way his production is worth the cost, but you have to keep the commodity you have.

QB contracts are starting to become really inflated. Lucks new deal will be interesting

Remember the Rob Johnson, Joey Harrington, Andre Ware, Vince Young, Sam Bradford, David Klingler, Matt Schaub, Kyle Boller and Ryan Fitzpatrick deals? I understand the Bengals got smart and inserted an opt out clause in their most recent Andy Dalton deal.

Edited by stuvian

I really like Alex Smith. I feel like he overcame a lot of haters early in his career, got benched in SF while he was winning for someone with more upside, and has been known as a tireless worker to get better. But I think KC is ripe to take a step backward this year. They haven't done much if anything to get better in the offseason. They lost some good players like Brandon Albert and Brandon Flowers as well as dexter mccluster. They run their whole offense through jamaal Charles. Their #1 WR is suspended week 1. They have a very difficult schedule. They got swept by Denver and SD last season and they obviously play them each twice plus NE and the NFC west. Brutal.

Edited by YoloinOhio