Ryan Mallett Traded to the Texans for Conditional 2016 7th

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terelle who?

It's not a bad trade for the Texans to trade a conditional 7th for a player about to be cut, to assure O'Brien of a backup QB who knows his system in case Bad Fitz shows up for the games.

It's not a steal to trade for a guy who was pretty obviously going to be cut if they couldn't trade him. The Patriots only keep 3 QB in exceptional circumstances, and Garappolo has just plain looked better. Mallet has not impressed when he's seen the field. It takes more than a "long ball" to play QB in the NFL.

Yep. As opposed to cutting a 3rd round draft pick and getting nothing in return.

i look at it differently. When GMs pick players in the draft they are usually not doing it with resale in mind. A 3rd pick should be a contributor. TJ was drafted there and became a starter. He was drafted by a previous GM, and HC with a different QB at the helm and totally different offense. If all those people were still here, maybe he would be too. Maybe he would have been developed and used differently. We don't know, but this regime went another direction which is quite common if you look around the league and 3rd picks or higher who get cut on both sides of the ball. They chose to upgrade the position and also take players who fit this system and this QB. The pats have not had a GM or HC or system change. They could have taken someone who could have contributed with that pick. They didn't. He wasn't good enough and they got virtually nothing out of the pick. They could have just kept Hoyer. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, but in all probability someone else will. And he might be the worst QB in the league. But he also might be much better than any QB on the Bills.

Sucks for us, no?

No, doesnt suck for us. Would have sucked for us because we may have needed him. We could have had him if we wanted for next to nothing and didnt want him. Now we have a decent veteran backup who has shown he could play. Mallet has shown to be awful.

No, doesnt suck for us. Would have sucked for us because we may have needed him. We could have had him if we wanted for next to nothing and didnt want him. Now we have a decent veteran backup who has shown he could play. Mallet has shown to be awful.

The thing is, the some who are convinced that EJ is dumpster trash based on his play to date, think Mallett could be good, Based on what? His play has been horrible---way worse than EJs. I don't think anyone should be written off this early in their career. But many seem to do that only for Bills players.

So you are saying it makes more sense to draft QBs then WRs. I agree.

no, makes sense to draft a player you don't want to cut.

Yes, but in all probability someone else will. And he might be the worst QB in the league. But he also might be much better than any QB on the Bills.

Sucks for us, no?

um... No?

Actually, it retrospect, it was a decent 3rd round pick. They paid him nothing. They didn't have to use him, which could have been a disaster. But they didn't have to pay a backup QB, they got to cut Hoyer and his 1.9m salary. I would take that any day of the week in hindsight. And then got a 7th rounder for him.

But in retrospect, they could have had players, which I listed, at positions of need. The only reason he was with the Pats* for so long was because Brady was healthy. If he saw any extended playing time at any point, his poor play would have been put on display and would have most likely got him cut earlier. To me, that means bad talent evaluation. They were just lucky Brady never got hurt.

But in retrospect, they could have had players, which I listed, at positions of need. The only reason he was with the Pats* for so long was because Brady was healthy. If he saw any extended playing time at any point, his poor play would have been put on display and would have most likely got him cut earlier. To me, that means bad talent evaluation. They were just lucky Brady never got hurt.

Hence "in retrospect." ;) I totally agree with your evaluation but the fact is, it's in the past, and it worked out for them in retrospect.

The thing is, the some who are convinced that EJ is dumpster trash based on his play to date, think Mallett could be good, Based on what? His play has been horrible---way worse than EJs. I don't think anyone should be written off this early in their career. But many seem to do that only for Bills players.

And you are doing the exact same thing that you rail against.

Mallet's play has been horrible? How many regular season passes has he thrown? Has he thrown 20? But you are writing him off.

EJ sucked last season and has looked worse this preseason despite having a year in the system, more talent around him, and health. Tell me, how do you rate EJ?

They didn't sign Orton only because Tuel and Lewis suck imo. What do you think?

Mallet's play has been horrible? How many regular season passes has he thrown? Has he thrown 20? But you are writing him off.

EJ sucked last season and has looked worse this preseason despite having a year in the system, more talent around him, and health. Tell me, how do you rate EJ?

Seriously? C'mon they DID sign Orton because Lewis and Tuel sucked, hence why Lewis isn't on the team anymore and Tuel is now on the PS.

And saying EJ sucked all last season is being a bit harsh. He had some bad games and some really good games. It was all crap though, as you say.

And saying EJ sucked all last season is being a bit harsh. He had some bad games and some really good games. It was all crap though, as you say.

He WAS a rookie. I really do get this. But he looks pretty bad as we speak. Can he put it all together? I hope so. But the guy is 6'4" and his passes are being blocked. Others are WAY off.

If it was up to me, he would be running the read option and buying time. He is not looking like a pocket passer at all from where I sit.

I explicitly said I am NOT writing Mallet off. I'm don't declare players "busts" early in their careers. But in the games he played, preseason and regular season (though he hardly played in regular season...4 passes) his play was demonstrably worse than EJs has been.

BTW, I don't believe EJ sucked last year, but he needs to improve, that's for sure. There were games where he sucked and some where he flashed some real quality. The team sucked. Give the guy an honest chance, hopefully behind a decent line, and now with a decent core of WRs, before writing him off.

What makes you think Mallett is going to be better than EJ,. Clearly is isn't based on his play. Is it based on that you liked him coming out of college? (I'm guessing here, I don't remember).

If EJ still looks brutal after the 1st few games, he'll get the hook as soon as Orton is ready. Too many people fighting for their jobs this year to think otherwise.

Except it's a wasted 3rd round pick. They could have had Kendrick Ellis or KJ Wright or Jordan Cameron or Cortez Allen(when they really needed a CB) or hell, Da'Norris Searcy.

Point is, they wasted 3 years and got a 7th round pick out of it... That's not improvement and chances are that 7th/6th round pick will end up being nothing.

I'm not talking about the original pick being a waste or not. That, neither of us can determine.

I'm applauding them for getting draft pick compensation out of a player who was about to be cut.