Ryan Mallett Traded to the Texans for Conditional 2016 7th

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 31s

One source tells me Bills considered Mallett internally. But another source tells me no actual trade talks occurred. Focused on Orton.

So is this another case of the Bills being silly because they would even consider trading for Mallett, but if they hadn't even considered it, they would be inept for not looking at all the options available? Do I have that about right?

So, the Pats got a pick for a player that they were going to cut anyway. I betcha most teams would love for this to happen to them.

Come on, don't you know most teams get first and second rounders when they trade their backup QBs?

Pats filled a necessary job for 3 seasons and it cost them a total of 3 rounds on a draft pick. Yup, total idiots.

So, the Pats got a pick for a player that they were going to cut anyway. I betcha most teams would love for this to happen to them.

So the Pats* trading their 3rd round QB (to much applause from many here) end up trading him three years later for anywhere from a "conditional 7th" to at best a 6th two years from now, is a good thing. I have to think your take would be much different had the Bills made that move.

Come on, don't you know most teams get first and second rounders when they trade their backup QBs?

Pats filled a necessary job for 3 seasons and it cost them a total of 3 rounds on a draft pick. Yup, total idiots.

Yep. They did fine. In retrospect.

In retrospect they also lucked out. If Mallet was forced into action should Brady go down, they would have looked horrible for drafting him that high and then only keeping two. He is not Matt Cassell. He's probably not even Brian Hoyer who they dumped because he was owed $1.9m.

They might not get anything. A conditional 7th could be if he starts 10 games they get a pick. If he starts 9 he gets nothing. This was a contract dump

There seems to be conflicting reports on the compensation. I read on ESPN that it was for a 7th that can conditionally improve to a 6th.

@RapSheet

Ryan Mallett has been traded to the #Texans, source says

Good article on the trade. O'Brien gets a backup he's familiar with in case Fitzy craps the bed. New England gets a draft pick at least for a guy they were likely to cut under the Patriots "Catch and Release" QB Development System. Too bad for them they never got him to play a game so they could sell high as they did with Cassel and the Packers did with Flynn.

Hey, if they traded him for a conditional 7th round pick does that mean he's the next Brady for the Texans?

Indeed, par for the course for that idiot Patriot franchise. :rolleyes:

Yep. They did fine. In retrospect.

In retrospect they also lucked out. If Mallet was forced into action should Brady go down, they would have looked horrible for drafting him that high and then only keeping two. He is not Matt Cassell. He's probably not even Brian Hoyer who they dumped because he was owed $1.9m.

I agree with that, but getting anything for a guy who was demoted to 3d string QB is pretty impressive IMO. At you point out, the salary dump alone was worth the trade.

Seeing a team like NE do a better job managing their backup QB situation than the Bills when they have a HOF QB who never misses a play -- and then having the Bills fan braintrust try to bash them for it -- is just :wallbash: inducing.

So the Pats* trading their 3rd round QB (to much applause from many here) end up trading him three years later for anywhere from a "conditional 7th" to at best a 6th two years from now, is a good thing. I have to think your take would be much different had the Bills made that move.

What's good for them is they got a draft pick for a backup player that they were going to cut and get nothing in return.

We can still get Terelle Pryer

Come on guys a #6 is a steal. The Texans should go to prison over that trade.

Mallett can throw the long ball as well as any young QB in the league, maybe Luck is a little better, Sammy would have been very happy.

Terelle who?

It's not a bad trade for the Texans to trade a conditional 7th for a player about to be cut, to assure O'Brien of a backup QB who knows his system in case Bad Fitz shows up for the games.

It's not a steal to trade for a guy who was pretty obviously going to be cut if they couldn't trade him. The Patriots only keep 3 QB in exceptional circumstances, and Garappolo has just plain looked better. Mallet has not impressed when he's seen the field. It takes more than a "long ball" to play QB in the NFL.

What's good for them is they got a draft pick for a backup player that they were going to cut and get nothing in return.

Yep. As opposed to cutting a 3rd round draft pick and getting nothing in return.

Except it's a wasted 3rd round pick. They could have had Kendrick Ellis or KJ Wright or Jordan Cameron or Cortez Allen(when they really needed a CB) or hell, Da'Norris Searcy.

Point is, they wasted 3 years and got a 7th round pick out of it... That's not improvement and chances are that 7th/6th round pick will end up being nothing.

they could have filed another role with that pick. And kept hoyer. Maybe a WR or a CB.

Bad pick, Did nothing for them and his value depreciated to near nothing, Then again, getting something for him was better than getting nothing,

I just find it funny that some well known Bills bashers are calling this a smart move by Belicheat. Had this been the Bills, it would be termed a wasted pick for whom they received terrible value.

Except it's a wasted 3rd round pick. They could have had Kendrick Ellis or KJ Wright or Jordan Cameron or Cortez Allen(when they really needed a CB) or hell, Da'Norris Searcy.

Point is, they wasted 3 years and got a 7th round pick out of it... That's not improvement and chances are that 7th/6th round pick will end up being nothing.

Actually, it retrospect, it was a decent 3rd round pick. They paid him nothing. They didn't have to use him, which could have been a disaster. But they didn't have to pay a backup QB, they got to cut Hoyer and his 1.9m salary. I would take that any day of the week in hindsight. And then got a 7th rounder for him.