Reasons I'm excited for 2014: (Not for the weak of heart)

Great post my man. But you really should consider getting a wetter blanket, and some more gloom, it's so much fun.

Here are more reasons for optimism:

1] Spikes is big, a stud, a killer, and a leader. We havent had that kind of guy in the middle since Shane Conlan.

2] No more of this Justin Rogers or even Ron Brooks crap. Corey Graham is now our 4th CB. That's depth where you really need it.

3] The Four-Headed Monster at RB and WR. Whaley has done what no Bills GM since Polian has done (maybe John Butler but he gambled and lost). He's built a team. We didn't need Stevie even though he was good because we have four WR guys who all do different things well. Now we have a tough short yardage back and a back-up speed demon with size, and have four RBs who all do different stuff well. Sammy and CavemanMike and Woods in the red zone should be much better.

4) Orton is a huge addition if only because it proves that Whaley and Marrone are not clinically insane. Back-up QB is an important position.

5) Massive bookend tackles with talent cannot be underestimated. Hard to say if Henderson will be good right away when the real bullets fly but he looks the part, and if he is, we really could be good running the ball, which should allow for more time for EJ to throw.

good post!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the interior of the line holds up, the evolution of EJ Manuel! I've heard radio analysts, sports writers say the want to see some fire, emotion from EJ. Well Eli Manning shows NO emotion or fire when he plays yet he has 2 Super Bowls!! I understand they need controversy to keep listeners and readers, but this guy is a WINNER! Go EJ and Go Bills!!!

Edited by the skycap

If the interior of the line holds up, the evolution of EJ Manuel! I've heard radio analysts, sports writers say the want to see some fire, emotion from EJ. Well Eli Manning shows NO emotion or fire when he plays yet he has 2 Super Bowls!! I understand they need controversy to keep listeners and readers, but this guy is a WINNER!

every QB has a different personality. One of the most boring and unemotional is flacco. Ring.

Great post my man. But you really should consider getting a wetter blanket, and some more gloom, it's so much fun.

Here are more reasons for optimism:

1] Spikes is big, a stud, a killer, and a leader. We havent had that kind of guy in the middle since Shane Conlan.

2] No more of this Justin Rogers or even Ron Brooks crap. Corey Graham is now our 4th CB. That's depth where you really need it.

3] The Four-Headed Monster at RB and WR. Whaley has done what no Bills GM since Polian has done (maybe John Butler but he gambled and lost). He's built a team. We didn't need Stevie even though he was good because we have four WR guys who all do different things well. Now we have a tough short yardage back and a back-up speed demon with size, and have four RBs who all do different stuff well. Sammy and CavemanMike and Woods in the red zone should be much better.

4) Orton is a huge addition if only because it proves that Whaley and Marrone are not clinically insane. Back-up QB is an important position.

5) Massive bookend tackles with talent cannot be underestimated. Hard to say if Henderson will be good right away when the real bullets fly but he looks the part, and if he is, we really could be good running the ball, which should allow for more time for EJ to throw.

All great reasons. I particularly agree with the Whaley comments and what he's done with the roster. There's real depth on this team on both sides of the ball, not just depth but GOOD depth. How many seasons have we watched a few injuries derail the entire season? This year they have guys coming off the bench that would start for other teams -- that's been a rarity around here for far too long. That's going to equate to wins this year because depth always does in the NFL.

This is the first season in a long time where we will be able say we are relatively deep at many positions. If we lose a starter for short period there will be drop off but it shouldn't be catastrophic. No EJ isn't Brady or Rogers, but I really do not think he has to be. The surreptitious message that OBD and the staff is sending to this team is just that: you are a team. The guy lining up next to you is just as good at his job as you are yours. Go play, play hard, win. No excuses.

I like it.

Edited by 3putt

Great post! I admit I was getting sucked into the negativity. I'm relieved we signed Orton. I'm looking forward to stuffing the run, it's been a long time since we've been good at that or even respectable. I want to see if Rivers can make things happen. I used to work with his uncle so I've always rooted for him. I know that rookie year was tough on him. Looking forward to some red zone touchdowns by land and air! OK I'm getting stoked! GO BILLS!!!

I don't see how anyone should be optimistic about this team. Today was another exercise of the futility of this FO and this team in general.

QBs. We cut our 2nd Tuel, 3rd Thad, 4th Dixon, and 5th Palmer string options at QB. We pick up a guy that hasn't even been in camp this off-season as far as I can tell. Many pundits believe he will be our #1 before the bye week. What happens Sunday if EJ is goes out with an injury early? He's shown he's as brittle as a tea cup so it's better than a 50/50 possibility. Heck he will probably get banged up in practice. How could the FO not have added a reliable vet in the off-season? That they let FItz, TJax go early was amateurish.

P. Everyone knew Moorman was on his last legs last year. They bring in minimal competition and now we are picking up cast offs to fill this spot the week before the first game. A professional FO would have addressed this in free agency.

K. We fill a spot on the roster with an extra kicker just for kick-offs because the coach has no confidence in our special team coverage unit.

Coaching. Hackett is in so far over his head he has to look up to tie his shoes. The offense is totally unprepared and has been unprepared for over a year. Hackett is joke. You don't have rookies, and EJ still plays like a rookie, running hurry up offenses.

If the interior of the line holds up, the evolution of EJ Manuel! I've heard radio analysts, sports writers say the want to see some fire, emotion from EJ. Well Eli Manning shows NO emotion or fire when he plays yet he has 2 Super Bowls!! I understand they need controversy to keep listeners and readers, but this guy is a WINNER! Go EJ and Go Bills!!!

Difference between Eli and EJ aside from the 2 SB rings is, Eli has some wild and erratic throws but at least takes many shots downfield. Almost seems fearless. EJ plays too cautious and very scared imo.

The rules are very QB friendly these days. More times than not, you would get either a catch or a pass interference on the defense rather than throwing an INT. If EJ can just let the ball fly once in a while, we might have a shot.

getting the top pick in the second round, which is only one pick away from the superbowl winner !!!

Huh... seems like someone poured lemonade on my Wheaties. Nope... uhh... my mistake. It's urine.

I'm looking forward to fewer posts espousing this sentiment by season's end. Cheers. :beer:

Edited by transient

I don't see how anyone should be optimistic about this team. Today was another exercise of the futility of this FO and this team in general...

If you bothered to read the thread you might be surprised to see there are lots of people with lots of reasons to be excited about this team. You would have also seen that this thread is about reasons why you, personally, are excited about the team. Certainly there must be something you're excited about...

I am really excited by the d. On the O, I don't like the question marks but am giving the FO and staff the benefits of the doubts, for now. I'm happy we have a decent back up and seemingly decent depth maybe everywhere but guard and TE (that is the most positive change I see this off season, thank you Doug). I'm excited the season is about to start! Yeah! football baby! Eat bear meat! Gooo like a MoFo, it's on!