Michael Sam is cut - should we sign him?(Update - signed in Big D)

YoloinOhio

He is an interesting story... The bills cut a guy that was making a lot of plays in the second half of preseason games too. I dont see any team signing him unless he is clearly better than other options. Not because he is gay, but the media attention is overwhelming for a guy that would be at the bottom of the depth chart.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Michael Sam wasn't gay, very few would know he exists.

Very few would know that the SEC defensive player of the year, who played on a top 5 team, exists?

I am not saying he's all world or NFL starter material, but I would think plenty of college football fans would know he exists.

I think that's right and comes as no surprise. If he was really good, he'd be on someone's 53 man roster because then dealing with the 24x7 idiocy from ESPN and mouthbreathers everywhere who swallow whatever the media tells them might be worth it. But it's definitely NOT worth it when the guy is no more than the fringe PS-level player.

I feel bad for Michael Sam -- he was used by the media as the story du jour and that may have killed his chances of sticking in the NFL. In 25 years we'll hear some NFL player thanking Michael Sam for 'breaking down barriers', when in reality the largest barrier for Sam was the one constructed by the media.

In a sense, there are, have been and always will be players in the NFL who are / were gay, so in a sense Sam has fallen on a sword and taken heat that some other players will likely face less of.

The thing that sucks is that ESPN has very much used the guy from the get-go. Does one let themselves be used? Sure. But I think he saw this as a way to control his destiny. ESPN's willingness to run with the shower story/non-story BS is proof that he was never going to be in control of this story.

Yet - he played while out, on a very good college team with the support of his teammates all last year. That says something to me about the place we've made it to, even if the sports media can't handle it like adults.

ha! I just saw that. But I was also watching NFLN and they said he isn't a good practice player (though he showed up in the ps games) and he doesn't play ST.

It is true he doesn't play ST, because he doesn't meet Fisher's ideas of what a ST'er should "look like".

I don't have NFLN, but that bit about "not a good practice player" is not what Fisher has said about him. Fisher has said publically and loudly that any team that picks up Sam will not "have any challenges". I think most HC would say "not a good practice player" would represent a major challenge, esp. for a PS player whose major duty is the scout team in practice and it would hurt a HC

I think networks are making up excuses and Wood has nailed the real reason.

His sexual orientationmedia noteriety is the reason he's the only non-QB on the front page with a "should we get him" thread.

Along with Ritchie Incognito and Kelvin Sheppard, both were front for a while

Because LB isn't a position we don't have depth in. Just like we're good at QB, right?

? Sam is a DE. Some teams do try to convert DE to LB but they usually want the whole preseason to try it

Edited by Hopeful

He is an interesting story... The bills cut a guy that was making a lot of plays in the second half of preseason games too. I dont see any team signing him unless he is clearly better than other options. Not because he is gay, but the media attention is overwhelming for a guy that would be at the bottom of the depth chart.

He would have been a mildly interesting story, if it weren't for the carnival atmosphere surrounding him.

And that's the real issue here: not that he's gay. That the coverage of him "being gay" turned him into some sort of circus-freak sideshow. I said it months ago: he could be a gay who's a football player, or a football player who's gay. Very few people would have had a problem with the latter. He chose the former, and ESPN et al. ran with it.

I didn't flame him or bash him or be disrespectful to him, all i said is i have the right to disagree with it. No need to stir up a big argument over it. There is always 2 sides to the fence, everyone has a choice on which side to choose and that is their right.

You absolutely have that right. You can hate anyone you want. You could hate people from any race too. You have that right. You live in a country where people can have any view they want, no matter how ignorant it is. We also have the right to point out how ignorant your views are. We can point out that hating someone for being who they are is not really a healthy way to look at the world. Michael Sam chose to be gay the same way you chose to walk on your feet instead of your hands.

It makes me really sad that there are still so many people who feel this way. I sincerely wish that one day you will meet someone who can change your opinion and give you some enlightened perspective.

He would have been a mildly interesting story, if it weren't for the carnival atmosphere surrounding him.

And that's the real issue here: not that he's gay. That the coverage of him "being gay" turned him into some sort of circus-freak sideshow. I said it months ago: he could be a gay who's a football player, or a football player who's gay. Very few people would have had a problem with the latter. He chose the former, and ESPN et al. ran with it.

I'm curious how you see Sam as having "chosen" the former? Because I don't see it.

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: #Bills should get over any 'distraction' Michael Sam might bring and give him a chance http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/09/01/bills-get-distraction-michael-sam-might-bring-give-chance-2/ …

via @TheBuffaloNews

This guy should try to get a gig with the New Republic, or some other third rate political rag where he can talk about sexual politics. I regret clicking on the link. The guy's a moron.

This guy should try to get a gig with the New Republic, or some other third rate political rag where he can talk about sexual politics. I regret clicking on the link. The guy's a moron.

Didn't register with me either, but I'm betting most main stream media types would likely have a similar take.

Didn't register with me either, but I'm betting most main stream media types would likely have a similar take.

No doubt. It irks me because they say everyone should put his sexuality aside and treat him how you would another football player, then they do and advocate the exact opposite.

Well, it's settled. Sam isn't working because the NFL is homophobic.

You will be made to care...and shamed in the process.

They keep throwing out that line that he's the only player w/ at least 2.5 sacks who didn't make a practice squad, but how many practice squad players have their own media entourage? How many coaches spend half their pressers answering questions about a practice squad player.

I'd suggest the author chat with Eric Wood. Then look up Tebow and see how many second year QBs with winning records as starters, and a playoff win w/ 300+ passing yds are out of the league two years later. That is if I though the writer had any interest in discovering the truth of the matter, rather than pushing an agenda.