Bills' Cuts to the 53 Man Roster Limit

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a disastrous couple of punts in the first half last night, both he and Gay were punting prior to the start of the 3rd quarter. Gay's punts landed easily ten yards further, with substantially more hang time than Moorman's, and Gay looked like he was casually chipping before a round of 18, while Moorman appeared to be putting every ounce of leg strength into each kick.

The last time the Bills tried to make a snap decision on a punter they cut Moorman from the team. Then part way into the season they realize they had effed up bigtime. And they had to get Moorman back. Luckily they did. Do you want them to repeat that mistake again? I sure don't. You replace a guy when you are reasonably certain you have a better one. They made that same mistake at other positions. Usually you can't get a player back.

The last time the Bills tried to make a snap decision on a punter they cut Moorman from the team. Then part way into the season they realize they had effed up bigtime. And they had to get Moorman back. Luckily they did. Do you want them to repeat that mistake again? I sure don't. You replace a guy when you are reasonably certain you have a better one. They made that same mistake at other positions. Usually you can't get a player back.

Repeat the mistake? Have you seen how awful Moorman has been?

Moorman to me at this point reminds me a little of Chris Watson. Everyone else had a punt returner and the Bills had a punt catcher. It is so odd (and dumb). "We don't want a guy that can regularly hit 45 yard punts because we have a guy that used to be able to already on our roster."

If the Bills haven't been repping another holder since OTAs, then that speaks volumes about the veracity of their commitment to trying to upgrade the punting situation. If we're forced into holding onto a mid-30 yard net punter just because he holds on PATs and FGs, this front office is blowing a lot of smoke about their so-called competitions. At least they auditioned Lee Smith as an alternative snapper.

Repeat the mistake? Have you seen how awful Moorman has been?

Yes I have. I know he has not played well. But it is like every other starting position on the team in some respects. You have to find someone better to replace him with. Like I said, they tried to just cut him and replace him last year. It failed miserably. The guy they signed to replace him ended up being even worse. Then they were screwed. That could easily happen again. Once they have someone better that they have confidence in, then they will move on from Moorman. They already showed they are ready to move on from him. They just have not found a better player. Seems pretty simple to me.

Yes I have. I know he has not played well. But it is like every other starting position on the team in some respects. You have to find someone better to replace him with. Like I said, they tried to just cut him and replace him last year. It failed miserably. The guy they signed to replace him ended up being even worse. Then they were screwed. That could easily happen again. Once they have someone better that they have confidence in, then they will move on from Moorman. They already showed they are ready to move on from him. They just have not found a better player. Seems pretty simple to me.

To that end though, how hard did they try? I believe that the Ray Guy award winner went undrafted. They couldn't have offered him a solid undrafted rookie contract to come in an compete?

How did they show this recently? How many times did Dombrowski punt in the preseason before they cut him? Was it like the "competition" between Hopkins and Carpenter (not saying Carpenter shouldn't have won, cause he deserved it), but calling it a competition in the beginning was a joke.

Bills 53-man roster projection: 8/29: http://www.wgr550.co....php?pid=424303

The preseason has been completed, and the only thing separating the NFL from the start of the regular season is to make final decisions on their 53-man rosters. In Buffalo, there are some tough decisions to be made specifically on the offensive side of the ball, but who will survive?

Keep in mind that it's likely the 53-man roster won't be made up completely of players that Buffalo currently has the rights to. Before the cuts come down, here is a projection of who the Bills might keep:

Bills 53-man roster projection: 8/29: http://www.wgr550.co....php?pid=424303

The thought of keeping Urbik and Pears as guards and/or emergency centers is frightening. I hope Whaley can find someone on the cut pile that can serve as a better reserve guard/center than these two. Judging by how mightily Urbik struggled against the Lions' 3rd string DTs last night, it shouldn't be that hard.

Sure hope Whaley & Marrone know what they're doing here. It's best to think with the total team concept in mind, and make decisions in the best interest of the team. May want to get this punting situation under control before the games start to count/matter, and same goes for acquiring a seasoned quarterback with some life still left in his arm and legs, or this season may be on the brink sooner rather than later.

The thought of keeping Urbik and Pears as guards and/or emergency centers is frightening. I hope Whaley can find someone on the cut pile that can serve as a better reserve guard/center than these two. Judging by how mightily Urbik struggled against the Lions' 3rd string DTs last night, it shouldn't be that hard.

Cyrus Kouandjio as the 3rd tackle? :unsure: IMO, They keep Hairston for a total of 4 OTs.

Moorman is just kicking vanilla punts and saving the real ones when the bullets fly.

Just like EJ and the O. It's all part of the master plan.

Good stuff!

It's pretty important when you take field position into account. Moorman's propensity to get off poor punts is going to cost the Bills if they decide to keep him. It's time to move on from him.

Exactly...It amazes me that the Bills were not more proactive in finding a replacement for Moorman...Especially considering it's a punter we're talking about...It's not like it's that hard to find a decent one...On some teams it may not matter much...On this one it will...Big time... B-)