Bills' Cuts to the 53 Man Roster Limit

I don't get why so many are concerned with the release of a 5th DT. The Bills will not keep two P/KO guys beyond week one when Bradham is back from suspension. My thought is one of them will be released no later than after the Bears game.

It's not so much not keeping a 5th DT; it's keeping a friggin' extra punter! Make Cohen the 53rd guy on the roster (or 54th as the case maybe) and then cut him if you find somebody better. Don't keep an extra punter who can be re-signed at any time.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we cut one prior to Sunday and pick someone else up, someone still needs to be cut prior to the next week's game when Bradham comes back.

Right. Chances are it will be a LB because of Bradham. And he will only be here for the one game so they have six on the roster. The only other logical choice would be the extra DE between Smith and Wynn. The LB could even be Jimmy Gaines.

It's not so much not keeping a 5th DT; it's keeping a friggin' extra punter! Make Cohen the 53rd guy on the roster (or 54th as the case maybe) and then cut him if you find somebody better. Don't keep an extra punter who can be re-signed at any time.

One reason they didn't keep Cohen around is because he's a vested veteran. That means if he was on the roster for week one, his entire 2014 salary would have been guaranteed. The Bills obviously didn't want to do that. They'll sort out the P/KO situation very soon.

ICYMI:

BB-MoormanLeaving-Full-web.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

One reason they didn't keep Cohen around is because he's a vested veteran. That means if he was on the roster for week one, his entire 2014 salary would have been guaranteed. The Bills obviously didn't want to do that. They'll sort out the P/KO situation soon.

The vested veteran angle makes sense as to why they didn't keep Cohen. But I still don't know why they're keeping two punters, and why they picked up Gay when Schmidt was available and had a much better preseason, only to pick him up later.

The vested veteran angle makes sense as to why they didn't keep Cohen. But I still don't know why they're keeping two punters, and why they picked up Gay when Schmidt was available and had a much better preseason, only to pick him up later.

Wouldn't be a shock if one of them is released before next Sunday's game @ Chicago.

My last word on this, is that it's a shock that they still have two punters. I expect Gay to be released any second now.

I expect they will let them kick a few days of practice and see which one consistently kicks it better, as well as KOs better. I agree that Hans Schmidt should win the battle though.