I don't get the Hackett Hate

TPS

I agree that the results last year were relatively good considering the constraints. I do think there were big questions last year around certain types of plays not being used more (e.g. screens), however, I generally give the benefit of the doubt and assume that we weren't using those plays because Hackett felt the players couldn't execute them, not because Hackett is an idiot.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its the lack of adjustments made during the previous season also as i've said on a number of posts, he hasn't changed his playbook to match the talent on the team. i also get the feeling that SJ13 (sorry i know were not supposed to talk about him) trade was brought on because hackett literally had no idea what to do with the guy. its probably going to be the reason CJ will be gone as well. plus the no huddle fiasco didn't help too much.

I agree that the results last year were relatively good considering the constraints. I do think there were big questions last year around certain types of plays not being used more (e.g. screens), however, I generally give the benefit of the doubt and assume that we weren't using those plays because Hackett felt the players couldn't execute them, not because Hackett is an idiot.

I remain baffled by how the majority of Bills fans completely overlook the mountain of evidence that shows precisely why he felt this way.

i guess ill try at the question a different way.... what did you see that he controlled that you think was handled particularly well? (im trying really hard to engage the "i dont get the dislike of hackett" side in a "this is what i like about hackett" discussion, so it can be more productive than "i like him" "i dont" "im not sure")

Given that I haven't watched them play a non-preseason game in 8-9 months, it's difficult to pinpoint what I recall being either good or bad in terms of situational play calling and/or design from last season.

All I can say is that there seemed to be fewer instances of "why the #$%& did you just call that play on 3rd and 2?" than there have been in the past. I remember watching some all-22's after a few games and thinking to myself "Wow, a better QB would have made that throw" or "I can't believe so-and-so dropped that". In short, my perspective was that the players often appeared to be put in position to succeed, only to make fundamental errors, which ostensibly were unrelated to the plays themselves.

Edited by yall

i guess ill try at the question a different way.... what did you see that he controlled that you think was handled particularly well? (im trying really hard to engage the "i dont get the dislike of hackett" side in a "this is what i like about hackett" discussion, so it can be more productive than "i like him" "i dont" "im not sure")

For me, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt because I thought the offense maintained better than expected production through the QB carousel, and I saw a lot of plays where there was opportunity for success and failure was due to a player or players.

That said, I don't claim he's great, but I thought, especially based on being a rookie OC, he performed as well as could be expected given the circumstances.

Moreover, I find the Hackett bashing annoying because for every knowledgeable poster who has a reasonable basis for ripping on him there are 10 morons who have no idea what they're talking about. 90% of the guys that whine about play-calling don't know what plays are being called, what blocks are being missed, and what open receivers aren't being thrown to. They just know we didn't score and that makes them sad.

Given that I haven't watched them play a non-preseason game in 8-9 months, it's difficult to pinpoint what I recall being either good or bad in terms of situational play calling and/or design from last season.

All I can say is that there seemed to be fewer instances of "why the #$%& did you just call that play on 3rd and 2?" than there have been in the past. I remember watching some all-22's after a few games and thinking to myself "Wow, a better QB would have made that throw" or "I can't believe so-and-so dropped that". In short, my perspective was that the players often appeared to be put in position to succeed, only to make fundamental errors, which ostensibly were unrelated to the plays themselves.

Dude, what is up with the tiny font? Even if you have something good to say, I am not going to squint to try to read your take.

Very interesting.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

For me, I tend to give him the benefit of the doubt because I thought the offense maintained better than expected production through the QB carousel, and I saw a lot of plays where there was opportunity for success and failure was due to a player or players.

That said, I don't claim he's great, but I thought, especially based on being a rookie OC, he performed as well as could be expected given the circumstances.

Moreover, I find the Hackett bashing annoying because for every knowledgeable poster who has a reasonable basis for ripping on him there are 10 morons who have no idea what they're talking about. 90% of the guys that whine about play-calling don't know what plays are being called, what blocks are being missed, and what open receivers aren't being thrown to. They just know we didn't score and that makes them sad.

Sums up my feelings precisely. In the week two game against the Jets last year, I thought my head was going to explode.

I don't know if posters think this is Tecmo Bowl and every player robotically carries out his assignment on every play unless the defense picks a better play.

Very interesting.

LOL

Personally, I don't much care for his play calling. Example - I seems like he likes to throw a lot on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. I run the ball there more times than not. I may run a draw out of shotgun, but I prefer to run there. I didn't like the call last year where Tuel was passing in that goalline situation where he threw that game altering interception. I blame Hacket for half the fault there. There are many times in many games where I was perplexed over the choice of plays. Run run pass punt. Run run pass punt. Stuff like that...

Secondly I don't much care for his game planning. I don't think he designs his offense to fit the players' skills. I think he has an offense he insists on running and tries to get whatever players he has to fit into that scheme. In my mind, that is bad coaching. That is why I don't care for him.

I say that based on last year's play not on this year's preseason.

If the offense looks a lot better this year and moves the chains while mixing in some deep pass attempts, then I will be fine with him. Based on his first year, he is off to a bad start. We will know more by midway through this season.

He knows what kind of line he has and what kind of line the opponent has. The Bills O-line has trouble getting push in short yardage situations. I am sure he prefers running for first downs too.

I understand why many would react to the OP(and similar posts) by calling the posters appologists. Rookie/injured QBs, constantly injured RBs, poor/inconsistent OL play, injured/rookie WRs......all combining to limit the plays etc, etc.

These are all excuses.

I think however that many people are misinterpreting what the excuses are for. They are not excuses to show why Hackett's offense wasn't good last season......they are excuses as to why one can't assume at this point that he is bad.

I think that there is some irony to the concept that many of the same posters that are espousing EJ to be a bust are also happy to throw Hackett under the same bus.

Dude, what is up with the tiny font? Even if you have something good to say, I am not going to squint to try to read your take.

Good, because it not meant for Polish people. :P

On someone else's PC and the font was defaulting to something weird, that's all.

Hackett's going to get Marrone fired, is my prediction.

With back-to-back seasons of QB uncertainty 2 weeks before the season begins, I think Marrone's got a pretty good handle on the whole "getting fired" thing all by himself.

Out of the biggest question marks on this team (EJ, Marrone, Hackett), Marrone is the one who worries me the most and the one in whom I have the least belief. His game management, personnel management and communication skills are huge causes of concern for me; as is his idiotic loyalty to Crossman.

Homey and No Saint are right. With all the injuries and uncertainty the offense faced last year, the OC did not adapt. He just lamely ran his break neck speed offense without sufficient personnel. Again, Hell bent on running his offense without regard for the players he had to work with and in turn put the D in untenable situations. Pettine on the other hand played to the strength oh his players.

Good, because it not meant for Polish people. :P

lol....

Yeah but dude, I'm pretty sure you can go back and fix that font thing even after you post it. You have been posting that little font multiple times. I would rather actually read what you have to say so I can decide if I agree with your point or not.

Homey and No Saint are right. With all the injuries and uncertainty the offense faced last year, the OC did not adapt. He just lamely ran his break neck speed offense without sufficient personnel. Again, Hell bent on running his offense without regard for the players he had to work with and in turn put the D in untenable situations. Pettine on the other hand played to the strength oh his players.

and ill admit, there are times i was surprised it wasnt worse but it was rare that i said -- "yup, our OC really saved our butts by..... adapting the scheme, with that tricky call, or whatever"

my reflection is that he seemed to do well at keeping people checked in and working through the adversity early, but that seemed to slide for the whole team down the stretch. not sure if that was simply because we were eliminated, or a lack of putting people in spots to experience optimum success. maybe a little of each.

Edited by NoSaint

lol....

Yeah but dude, I'm pretty sure you can go back and fix that font thing even after you post it. You have been posting that little font multiple times. I would rather actually read what you have to say so I can decide if I agree with your point or not.

I edited - I don't know that I'm saying anything noteworthy besides "it's hard to judge him based soley on last season given the injuries and lack of quality/experienced players".

That and everyone seems to blame him for sticking with the hurry up, while I think that's a directive from Marrone (albeit one that Hackett probably agrees with...).

That and everyone seems to blame him for sticking with the hurry up, while I think that's a directive from Marrone (albeit one that Hackett probably agrees with...).

Why for you say such things?