Kiko Might Play This Year?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great that the guy is working hard in rehab but in my opinion it would be a mistake to rush him back. At 4 months post surgery the knee will likely feel pretty good but the danger lies in the fact that the tissue used to make the ACL graft is still weakening (middle third of the patella tendon).

Between 3 and 6 months the body is able to form blood vessels to feed the relocated tissue and thereafter the new ligament gets stronger over time. Relying on the ligament before it is strong enough usually causes stretching to occur rather than an immediate failure. Given that the purpose of the ligament is to keep the bones together, a stretched ligament is soon little better than no ligament as it will allow giveways to occur.

Giveways very often cause damage to other parts of the knee - meniscus (cartilage), bone, and the other ligaments. So, rushing him into service, even if he feels wonderful, would be a mistake that could cause him further problems down the road.

Kiko shouldn't play this year. If we value his long term health and want him to be a face of the Bills defense you sit him for the season and bring him back when he is 14 months removed from the injury next year.

Kiko shouldn't play this year. If we value his long term health and want him to be a face of the Bills defense you sit him for the season and bring him back when he is 14 months removed from the injury next year.

I agree. Keep him out. Let him line up in spirit.

I fully expect his spirit would still lead the team in tackles.