Kiko Might Play This Year?

I also completely agree with this.

Since the teams have so little control over their players' off-season activities, where is the line drawn for what constitutes a happenstance that would keep them on the hook?

i dont disagree with that - i was mostly curious what other teams have done in similar spots.

an alternative line could be "participating in team approved workouts" or "during activities that do not violate the terms of the contract (such as backyard wrestling or skydiving)"

it brings up the question, do we want guys to be "working out for the team at their own risk" and then be upset when they come in less peak condition

its an interesting dynamic that im interested in learning more about around the league.

I guess I don't understand the fans' belief that the Bills would have been right to do Kiko a solid in this instance. What precedent does it set when the same thing happens next year to a far less important player?

i didnt say they should do him a solid. ive never actually said it was a jerk move. ive just been discussing the nuts and bolts.

its good for us in this instance, but it may make for a harder negotiation with kiko, or others if its not the league norm. it may also tell players they are better off taking it easy when out on their own, which isnt great.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont disagree with that - i was mostly curious what other teams have done in similar spots.

an alternative line could be "participating in team approved workouts" or "during activities that do not violate the terms of the contract (such as backyard wrestling or skydiving)"

it brings up the question, do we want guys to be "working out for the team at their own risk" and then be upset when they come in less peak condition

its an interesting dynamic that im interested in learning more about around the league.

i didnt say they should do him a solid. ive never actually said it was a jerk move. ive just been discussing the nuts and bolts.

its good for us in this instance, but it may make for a harder negotiation with kiko, or others if its not the league norm. it may also tell players they are better off taking it easy when out on their own, which isnt great.

It was referred to as a potentially 'Richard' move. Not by you. But I remember when he was first injured and the prospect of Buffalo taking this route was treated thusly, too.

I'm guessing in no way do they screw with Kiko's money or head after he outplayed his contract tenfold last year and regardless of where he sustained his injury unless it was a 100% careless and stupid move on Kiko's part.

part of my earlier comment that im still not sure the nature of how the injury occured. did we get a full story?

It was referred to as a potentially 'Richard' move. Not by you. But I remember when he was first injured and the prospect of Buffalo taking this route was treated thusly, too.

like i said, the decision has a bit of a ripple effect - some good, some potentially bad. if he was at the gym working out responsibly for the team, i could see it being a bit of a jerk move. if he was skipping workouts to do some weird training hes into that the team doesnt like -- less offensive that hed face full consequences.

Never tell Kiko the odds.

More like "never tell the odds about Kiko."

Do we know how Kiko injured himself? We assume/the word seems to be that he did it working out, but for all we know, he could've been doing something stupid.

You can do a whole lot without an ACL, certainly walking or running without a limp....after the initial injury has subsided. Very strong leg muscles surrounding the knee along with very good reaction time lets a person get by ALMOST all of the time without an ACL.

The problem is that when athletics are involved, the forces on the knee can be great. If the blow or twist to the knee is unexpected or if the force is too great, the knee will buckle. When it buckles under great force, it usually takes other structures along with it like other ligaments, bone, tendon, etc. and you have compounded the problems

Maybe they wrapped him in some miracle fiber that cures all diseases?

I guess I don't understand the fans' belief that the Bills would have been right to do Kiko a solid in this instance. What precedent does it set when the same thing happens next year to a far less important player?

I thought he was injured doing weight training under the off season plan authored by the Bills , and that may or may not be correct. If correct, and they are stripping him of a season, I stand by my comment.

If he was hurt in an activity that was not related to getting better on the field, that is a different story.

I thought he was injured doing weight training under the off season plan authored by the Bills , and that may or may not be correct. If correct, and they are stripping him of a season, I stand by my comment.

If he was hurt in an activity that was not related to getting better on the field, that is a different story.

And it's much easier to standby your comment because we're talking about Kiko here. If it was Ty Powell, would you feel the same way?

Plus: if the team can't mandate what you're doing in the offseason, how can players have any expectation for compensation if/when something runs afoul, good intentions or otherwise?

And it's much easier to standby your comment because we're talking about Kiko here. If it was Ty Powell, would you feel the same way?

Plus: if the team can't mandate what you're doing in the offseason, how can players have any expectation for compensation if/when something runs afoul, good intentions or otherwise?

if it were ty powell, i dont see the big downside him accruing the season. further, since when did teams not have separate rule books for stars and camp bodies? most issues are kind of case by case.

last up: They cant mandate what the players do, so handing out rewards like having their back for participating in your program might not be a terrible way to get guys involved.

@buffalobills

Doug Marrone confirms that Kiko Alonso is back with the team at One #Bills Drive. "He's working all the time ... he's a benefit to our team"

i mean, maybe they think hed be ready.... as crazy as that would be.... maybe the injury wasnt terrible and the surgery was great.

There have been many advances in treatments (many that aren't legal in the NFL).

Sometimes guys come back so quickly from serious injuries it's like a miracle! Remember Terrell Owens miraculous healing prior to the Eagles Super Bowl?

I'm hoping that Kiko knows the right people to talk to about a miraculous healing.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Probably best he doesn't accrue a season, from everyone's side but his

Tru Dat.

For the long term benefit of the team they have no motivation to let him off the NFI. NFI all season means the Bills can match any offers he gets when his rookie contract is up.

He won't be going anywhere if he is a RFA at the end of his rookie contract.