Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

I understand. And let's be clear, there's no problem with disagreeing. So here's what I'll say, when I watch EJ I'm not impressed, in fact I'm frequently disappointed. When I watch Orton I see an efficient QB. That's a qualitative analysis from my perspective. I understand the stats muddy that but that's still how I see it.

Fair enough.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all this talk about Orton, I am still puzzled by the Tuel cut. Not really questioning that he isn't up to being on the 53 roster under ordinary circumstances. But these aren't ordinary circumstances. Right now, the only QB with Bills experience and familiarity with both the players and the playbook is EJ. So imagine that in the first quarter of the Bears game, Manuel is knocked out. In comes Orton, with like a week to learn the playbook and the apparently tightly timed receiver routes, and what do you suppose that's going to look like? And what if, God forbid, something happens to Orton? So, yeah, Tuel isn't very good. But he does know the plays and the players so for at least the first month, it seemed a no-brainer that he'd be on the bench "just in case." Cutting him seems as irresponsible by the FO as not going after a solid backup in the off-season. The first month of the season is going to be very much "hold your breath" time.

In all this talk about Orton, I am still puzzled by the Tuel cut. Not really questioning that he isn't up to being on the 53 roster under ordinary circumstances. But these aren't ordinary circumstances. Right now, the only QB with Bills experience and familiarity with both the players and the playbook is EJ. So imagine that in the first quarter of the Bears game, Manuel is knocked out. In comes Orton, with like a week to learn the playbook and the apparently tightly timed receiver routes, and what do you suppose that's going to look like? And what if, God forbid, something happens to Orton? So, yeah, Tuel isn't very good. But he does know the plays and the players so for at least the first month, it seemed a no-brainer that he'd be on the bench "just in case." Cutting him seems as irresponsible by the FO as not going after a solid backup in the off-season. The first month of the season is going to be very much "hold your breath" time.

I can appreciate your point about having someone more familiar with the playbook, but I'm not too worried about it. Orton is a savvy vet and there isn't too much he hasn't seen. And since the Marrone/Hackett offense is all about packaged plays dependent upon proper reads, I think he's up to the task. Even on short notice. Also, he'll be able to absorb the offense on a game-plan specific basis, which will make it less complicated.

GO BILLS!!!

Just read this: Take it for whatever its worth

"Manuel was among the NFL's least effective QBs on third down last season. Manuel ranked last in the NFL in yards per attempt (5.2) on third down and second to last in completion percentage (47.5)."

I understand. And let's be clear, there's no problem with disagreeing. So here's what I'll say, when I watch EJ I'm not impressed, in fact I'm frequently disappointed. When I watch Orton I see an efficient QB. That's a qualitative analysis from my perspective. I understand the stats muddy that but that's still how I see it.

I've got to say The_Dude that I am pretty impressed. You've been given a pretty hard time in this thread(by myself and others), and it seems you have not only maintained civility and composure, but have come to understand the root of the problems, and adapted to it.

Changing from a "EJ will never be good!" stance to one of "I don't believe EJ will ever be good, but I hope I'm wrong" really makes a hell of a difference to cordial discussions.

I know it's a bit belated but.....welcome to the board.

I've got to say The_Dude that I am pretty impressed. You've been given a pretty hard time in this thread(by myself and others), and it seems you have not only maintained civility and composure, but have come to understand the root of the problems, and adapted to it.

Changing from a "EJ will never be good!" stance to one of "I don't believe EJ will ever be good, but I hope I'm wrong" really makes a hell of a difference to cordial discussions.

Seconded.

We all love this team. That leads to spirited debate which can lead to 'will you don't think what I think so you suck!' which is never cool.

As far as the EJ argument goes I also think we're both tired of it. We've seen EJs stats compared with everybody from Manning to Gabbert and skewed to support each sides argument. We're all tired of it and it's time for it to play out!

Thanks for the compliment though, I always try to keep things civil.

Unless someone plucks him from the practice squad and puts him on a roster, I would imagine they'd just bring him up to the 53 man roster if EJ or KO was injured. While it wouldn't solve the problem of what to do in game at the time of injury, I don't imagine having him on the active roster at the that time would solve much, either.

That's great, but my question is will we be privileged enough to have expert analysis on his throwing motion and footwork? :lol:

I eagerly await Kellyto83TD's scouting report on Orton's performance in practice. I pray he looks as good as Palmer.

GO BILLS!!!

@BuffRumblings: Kyle Orton throws a pass. Thanks @AndyTWCNews http://t.co/XA3Ca9mxTW

That video has to be a fake. I'm sure that people were telling me a few days ago that Sammy's rib injury was serious. There's no way that could be him catching that ball. Maybe Woods was wearing his jersey and a mop on his head.

That video has to be a fake. I'm sure that people were telling me a few days ago that Sammy's rib injury was serious. There's no way that could be him catching that ball. Maybe Woods was wearing his jersey and a mop on his head.

Marrone is stupid letting Watkins practice with that rib injury.

GO BILLS!!!