Kyle Orton vs EJ Manuel

disco

Orton wouldn't have been brought in if the Doug's were happy with EJ. This has nothing to do with Tuel and everything to do with Orton being their last bet to save their jobs. Of course EJ will start against the Bears but if he gets out to a rocky start it'll be Orton time by week 3 or 4.

I dont agree with that at all......we have NOTHING behind EJ that is the real problem here. Orton seems to flourish in the backup role (think Frank Reich)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orton does not start unless EJ gets hurt, nor do I want him to. Manuel needs to play. That is what is in the best interests of this team in the long term. People are delusional if they think Orton was brought in to challenge the starting role. Great move as a backup and insurance policy. I am feeling much better about the position now, knowing they have someone who can actually play if EJ goes down.

Orton does not start unless EJ gets hurt, nor do I want him to. Manuel needs to play. That is what is in the best interests of this team in the long term. People are delusional if they think Orton was brought in to challenge the starting role. Great move as a backup and insurance policy. I am feeling much better about the position now, knowing they have someone who can actually play if EJ goes down.

Exactly

Baring any intelligent reason to believe otherwise, I read "I'm not a fan of stats" and think you mean "I don't really understand how stats translate to success or failure."

Prove me wrong.

Is this real?

Wow.

There's quantitative and qualitative reasons for a players performance. I don't throw stats out but it's my nature to question them. For example, a QB can have a high QBR if he completes 28 passes at 80% but who cares if he had less than 200 yds and the team lost...stats made Trent Edwards look like a viable option at QB. Stats didnt show Trent checking down or running out of bounds on a fourth down with the game on the line. Stats made prospects like Gabbert look like viable options. Stats are good but they shouldn't be relied on to heavily. This isn't baseball.

My best examples of this are last year at NYJ, at Pitt, and at Tampa. They brought people, and EJ had no answers all game long. So therefore, we were never going to be able to run it on those days.

If DBs sniff blood in the water with a young QB, they cheat up and make it worse until you can make them pay. In his rookie year, EJ failed those tests miserably.

One thing to keep in mind, based on Pettine's defense last year the first time EJ saw a cover 2 defense was in the first week of regular season action. Pettine's unique defense, which EJ practiced against (for half of camp) might have slowed down his development as a rookie -- especially in the first Jests game.

Bringing in Orton was a great move! If EJ does his job he will not see the field barring injury. It just nice to know that we have a QB on the team that's a gunslinger and has thrown some 300+ yd games!!! If EJ is still stinking it up close to mid season or the front office thinks Orton could come in to save our playoff chances I'm all for it! After the preseason my hopes were down although it was JUST preseason. With the Orton signing Im optimistic that if things aren't going well we have an OPTION...

I think it is delusional to not think he is going to challenge EJ. If the coaching staff was all in on EJ, Orton would have never been brought in. Bottom line is Marrone, Whaley and whoever else put all their eggs in EJ's basket are not 100% confident that EJ is the future, IMHO. and they are going to do what is the best thing to win games now, if it's Orton fine, if it's EJ, fine, they want to keep their jobs.

I think it is delusional to not think he is going to challenge EJ. If the coaching staff was all in on EJ, Orton would have never been brought in. Bottom line is Marrone, Whaley and whoever else put all their eggs in EJ's basket are not 100% confident that EJ is the future, IMHO. and they are going to do what is the best thing to win games now, if it's Orton fine, if it's EJ, fine, they want to keep their jobs.

Well they also realize they need a competent backup if EJ goes down, no?

Kyle Orton is making $5 million to be our backup. That's as much as newly signed free agent (ie was available this offseason) Josh McCown is making to be the Bucs' starting QB.

Either A.) the Bills had to overpay Orton to pull him out of retirement and serve as our backup, or B.) the Bills have lost enough confidence in EJ that they expect Orton might be forced to see playing time. Both scenarios are pretty bad but I suppose it's better than sticking with what we had at backup QBs a week ago.

Edited by earthtobrint

Kyle Orton is making $5 million to be our backup. That's as much as Josh McCown is making to be the Bucs' starting QB.

Either A.) the Bills had to overpay Orton to pull him out of retirement and serve as our backup, or B.) the Bills have lost enough confidence in EJ that they expect Orton might see playing time. Both scenarios are pretty bad but I suppose it's better than sticking with what we had at backup QBs a week ago.

$5m is middle of the road for a backup QB. EJ makes less than $2m a year, which is peanuts.

Tebow beat out Orton when they competed. Tebow is out of football. How low can this franchise sink?

Not really what happened. Tebow was given the job by the guy who drafted him. Both men consequently lost their jobs.

$5m is middle of the road for a backup QB. EJ makes less than $2m a year, which is peanuts.

Part of my point was McCown was available for the same price we're now paying a guy to come out of retirement after the preseason is already over. Would you prefer Orton or McCown? McCown likely wanted to be a starter but all you had to do is tell him it's an open competition at QB. It'd either push EJ or McCown would win the job. Instead, they give EJ a ten mile leash by telling him before the offseason even starts that he's the definitely the starter, and having incompetent backup QBs to compete with. I'm not saying McCown is some savior but he's one of many examples of better options at QB the Bills chose not to invest in.

Edited by earthtobrint

Kyle Orton is making $5 million to be our backup. That's as much as newly signed free agent (ie was available this offseason) Josh McCown is making to be the Bucs' starting QB.

Either A.) the Bills had to overpay Orton to pull him out of retirement and serve as our backup, or B.) the Bills have lost enough confidence in EJ that they expect Orton might be forced to see playing time. Both scenarios are pretty bad but I suppose it's better than sticking with what we had at backup QBs a week ago.

wait so are the Bills still cheap?

If they don't pay it he goes elsewhere and we have no backup plan. If they do it's too much. Who cares what he makes that is not starting QB money it is solid vet backup money which is what he is.