EJ, WRS, etc., and a suggestion or 2.....

It occurred to me that if Watkins even ALMOST lives up to his hype, EJ will have no less than 3 wideouts who are clearly superior to Stevie Johnson. This of course is only my opinion, but a strong one.

Woods looks very good, and forgive me because I did not know just how good Mike Williams is. Not only that, Chandler is still there and the young TEs really don't look so bad.

The defensive front is so strong and deep that a player like Searcy can deliver big plays. Spikes is one true football player and Bradham looks like a different person out there imo. I consider the secondary to be at least average.

Sounds good, right? It's not. EJ was flat out terrible last night and if it continues, there needs to be 100% accountability. Not from EJ mind you. Not many people on this planet can be good NFL QBs.

As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't improve, Marrone and Hackett should not last the season. Whaley and Brandon (who I think hired Marrone)should also be shown the door. These men staked their careers on EJ, to include trading away a first round draft pick. They didn't draft a qb in later rounds when there were many out there.

In some way, this mess must be cleaned up. When EJ rolled out early in the game, he hit Williams with a nice pass. In the pocket he was awful and has a lot to learn.

The good news is that this team can win if EJ isn't horrible. Sadly, the latter is far from a foregone conclusion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I don't think drafting another mid round qb is a panacea to the problems we see. I would have liked to see a vet brought in though. I'm guessing they thought their current backups would show progress from a "not horrible" performance last year (given conditions) but that's definitely a mark against them. I'm thinking Whaley's on the phone or scanning the waiver wire even now to get someone remotely competent as a backup. And for better or worse, they drafted EJ as a project qb so they're responsible for the progress he makes. I just hope it's quick enough or we'll be starting over. Again.

Edited by Lothar

And for better or worse, they drafted EJ as a project qb so they're responsible for the progress he makes. I just hope it's quick enough or we'll be starting over. Again.

When they drafted EJ they picked up a mid second round pick in the process. This was a great move.

This April, despite no clear indications that he is a franchise QB, they traded away a first round pick in 2015. This move isn't looking good at all (although things could hopefully change).

If this bold move works, great!!! If not, Marrone, Whaley and Brandon should be driven to the airport and tossed out of town.

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Said in a million different threads.....but we are firing/cutting/giving up based on a bad first half. I will admit I did not watch this game till after 10.30 last night, and friends came over at 5.30 for a beer and did not leave till all the beer in the house was gone ! And there was a lot of beer in the house at 5:30

But, first pick not EJs fault, Spiller fumble not his issue, and the sack/fumble...I don't know.

Can we give at least until game 6 so he has a full 16 starts before we want everyone gone?

Edited by plenzmd1

It occurred to me that if Watkins even ALMOST lives up to his hype, EJ will have no less than 3 wideouts who are clearly superior to Stevie Johnson. This of course is only my opinion, but a strong one.

Woods looks very good, and forgive me because I did not know just how good Mike Williams is. Not only that, Chandler is still there and the young TEs really don't look so bad.

The defensive front is so strong and deep that a player like Searcy can deliver big plays. Spikes is one true football player and Bradham looks like a different person out there imo. I consider the secondary to be at least average.

Sounds good, right? It's not. EJ was flat out terrible last night and if it continues, there needs to be 100% accountability. Not from EJ mind you. Not many people on this planet can be good NFL QBs.

As far as I'm concerned if he doesn't improve, Marrone and Hackett should not last the season. Whaley and Brandon (who I think hired Marrone)should also be shown the door. These men staked their careers on EJ, to include trading away a first round draft pick. They didn't draft a qb in later rounds when there were many out there.

In some way, this mess must be cleaned up. When EJ rolled out early in the game, he hit Williams with a nice pass. In the pocket he was awful and has a lot to learn.

The good news is that this team can win if EJ isn't horrible. Sadly, the latter is far from a foregone conclusion.

The problem may be their coaching and not EJ himself. Did you not see the 180 turnaround in Manuel's performance in the second half? I think the Marrone and Hackett got scared and finally told Manuel that they are letting it rip. It was night and day and yes, part of it was that the second string was out there, but there was also an obvious serious attitude change which IMO was the main reason for the drastic turnaround. You need to consider the possibility that the majority of Manuel's struggles are because his coaches are too conservative for today's NFL.

I wish I could have watched the game, in the highlights EJ doesn't look bad.......coaching does, execution by some players does. I hope part of that is fixable, calling for Marrone's and everyone's heads seems a bit premature. Especially Waley who helped built the D that you think looks great (judging from the first half and final score, not so sure but I didn't see it like I said). If Cowher or someone good was available it might be time to get rid of some staff....It's preseason though.....I think the early 90s proved you don't need to be good in PS. Everyone want them to be, I understand that but let's see first. I understand the play calls and EJ were both lacking but hey, rebuilding again??? Let's not see the baby and then do it (which would be up to whoever the new owner is anyway).

When they drafted EJ they picked up a mid second round pick in the process. This was a great move.

This April, despite no clear indications that he is a franchise QB, they traded away a first round pick in 2015. This move isn't looking good at all (although things could hopefully change).

If this bold move works, great!!! If not, Marrone, Whaley and Brandon should be driven to the airport and tossed out of town.

Jmo.

Strong words. I guess I haven't given up on EJ just yet. He showed some signs of poise in the pocket and went through his progressions. The team, as a whole, is more talented on paper. It just needs to click...hopefully in Chicago.

What is with all of the EJ is the worst QB to ever play football over reation on here? Yes he was mediocre in the first half, but the pick was because CHandler fell, the fumble from Spiller was due to a well placed helmet, and the fumble by EJ was due to lack of blocking. Besides that, there was only about 10 different play calls during the game...same calls right and left. Pretty vanilla play calling...

All of this with 10 starts under his belt....Trust me I get it. I've been suffering with you for the last 14 years, but lets give them a shot when the games count. GO BILLS!

Must SCRAP this no huddle hurry up idiocy yesterday.

If EJ is the QB, I don't want him snapping the ball with less than a half of a second on the play clock.

Then, it better be a running play. We have the RB's for this in spades. Can EJ throw screens? Barely. But it's better than getting Sammy killed over the middle by a wobbly duck thrown behind him.

Buffalo has a good defense and a great field goal kicker. Utilize the strengths--- Threading the needle between two defenders is not one of them.

What is with all of the EJ is the worst QB to ever play football over reation on here? Yes he was mediocre in the first half, but the pick was because CHandler fell, the fumble from Spiller was due to a well placed helmet, and the fumble by EJ was due to lack of blocking. Besides that, there was only about 10 different play calls during the game...same calls right and left. Pretty vanilla play calling...

All of this with 10 starts under his belt....Trust me I get it. I've been suffering with you for the last 14 years, but lets give them a shot when the games count. GO BILLS!

The fumble by EJ was on EJ because he had Fred wide open in the flat, but chose to hold the ball to explore other options. That was bad enough, but he compounded the problem with a lack of ball security.

It was the same people who put the quality talent and depth around EJ that drafted EJ. So NO , you don't get rid of them (especially Whaley) if EJ happens to not progress (after we give him the FULL season). That would be utterly silly and a repeat of what the organization has already done for the last 15 years.

The fumble by EJ was on EJ because he had Fred wide open in the flat, but chose to hold the ball to explore other options. That was bad enough, but he compounded the problem with a lack of ball security.

Did he say he saw Fred?

If EJ is the QB, I don't want him snapping the ball with less than a half of a second on the play clock.

Then, it better be a running play. We have the RB's for this in spades. Can EJ throw screens? Barely. But it's better than getting Sammy killed over the middle by a wobbly duck thrown behind him.

Buffalo has a good defense and a great field goal kicker. Utilize the strengths--- Threading the needle between two defenders is not one of them.

Yes slowing down the game for him may help.

Said in a million different threads.....but we are firing/cutting/giving up based on a bad first half. I will admit I did not watch this game till after 10.30 last night, and friends came over at 5.30 for a beer and did not leave till all the beer in the house was gone ! And there was a lot of beer in the house at 5:30

But, first pick not EJs fault, Spiller fumble not his issue, and the sack/fumble...I don't know.

Can we give at least until game 6 so he has a full 16 starts before we want everyone gone?

Why are you being optimistic? That could get you in trouble here! I listened to the game and Murphy said these things over and over. Fred didn't just call EJ over to chew on him he brought the whole OL. I would love to hear what he said. Im sure he didn't lay the horrible first half on EJ alone but on the drops, falls, bad routs, protection issues, penalties and the such. They didn't play a bad first half but a sloppy one. Need to clean those things up. GO BILLS!!!

I don't think anyone asked him about it, but he looked right at him.

Im a deer hunter and have looked right at deer I didn't see till it was too late. . In the moment from the level of the field things look different. From TV or the seats things are much more obvious than they are when you are looking through an OL and a DL while the game is moving. They need to slow the game down for the man and they needed to hire a more experienced OC than Hatchet Job,

Im a deer hunter and have looked right at deer I didn't see till it was too late. . In the moment from the level of the field things look different. From TV or the seats things are much more obvious than they are when you are looking through an OL and a DL while the game is moving. They need to slow the game down for the man and they needed to hire a more experienced OC than Hatchet Job,

That's not germane to the discussion of NFL quarterbacking. All too often EJ is criticized for making the very check down throw he didn't make in that particular instance. He tried to make something else happen and it ended up very badly.

This is exactly why they need to go. They have spent 3 consecutive first round picks on the passing game (including next year's #1 here) and yet are left hoping that playing an antiquated run first offense and literally running out the clock from the first snap will allow them to be competitive. Seeing Manuel for over a year and not bringing in a credible qb with the talent on the rest of the roster is criminally negligent. He has not made a single "wow" throw in more than a year of competitive play. We hope to "survive" the horrible play of the "franchise" qb. It's a joke.