Pass Defense is horrible

Tampa had 156 passing yards. I wouldn't call that being shredded

What was the score at halftime? How many passing yards did the Bucs starters have?

Last week it was two weeks.

Now it's two weeks again?

I guess that is your way of agreeing that Kelvin Benjamin's catch was insane.

You're seriously going to call the 112 yard 1TD and 1Int performance of Josh McCown "shredded"?

It was Mike Evans that beat up Ron Brooks for the TD, not a certain starter you love.

There are many things to worry about with this team.

The pass defense doesn't look like it is very high on the list; if it is on the list at all.

Dude, just give it a rest already. If you're not concerned about Gilmore and the rest of the secondary, then good for you.

You missed a lot of successful third downs.

+1

The Bills were able to hold the Bucs to minimal gains on 1st and 2nd downs, but could not stop the Bucs from converting on pass plays on 3rd downs.

Alright, lets review a bit... because I'm curious to see if I'm just angry, or if my suspicions are correct....

1st Quarter:

TB Possession 1:

TB gets the ball on their 43 yard line after an interception. Bills stuff a WR screen, a run play, and get a sack. Causing a three and out. Good series. -16 yards

Net offense: -16 yards

TB Possession 2:

TB gets the ball on the Bills 46 yard line, after the Bills go three and out deep in their own territory. Bills get an interception. Good series. 2 yards.

Net offense: -14 yards

TB Possession 3:

TB gets the ball on the Bills 39 yard line, after a fumble by CJ Spiller. Bills quickly get gashed by a long run, and a long pass. Touchdown. "Bad"? series. 39 yards.

Net offense: 25 yards on 10 plays. (2.5 ypp)

TB Possession 4:

TB gets the ball on the TB 34 yard line, after a 16 yard "drive" by the Bills. Give up two first downs, then stop the Bucs to force a punt. Good series. 22 yards.

Net offense: 47 yards on 16 plays. (2.9 ypp)

2nd Quarter:

TB Possession 5:

TB gets ball on TB 48 yard line, after the Bills force themselves into a corner with a 3rd and 40 from their 15. Give up a 3rd down pass for conversion. Give up a long QB run. Stop them with incompletion force, and two stalled running plays. They score a field goal. Good series. 27 yards.

Net offense: 74 yards on 24 plays. (3.1 ypp)

TB "Possession 5a":

TB returns EJ fumble for a touchdown. 17-0. Defense not responsible, "obviously"-Marrone

TB Possession 6:

TB gets ball on TB 18 yard line, after Bills three and out. Penalty first down. Pass play first down. Pass play first down (after a penalty gives TB a second shot at a 3rd down conversion, we stopped their first attempt. No penalty, means they punt). Complete Pass, Pass, Pass - TD. Bad series. Two bad penalties, and bad pass coverage. 11 plays, 82 yards. Score is now 24-0.

Net offense: 156 yards on 35 plays (4.5ypp)

So what do I get out of this... 4 arguably good series. One that is hard to tell, because they got the ball on the 39 yard line. But still... And one that is a legitimately bad series. The two bad series happen after the defense has barely rested, due to the offense only running a couple plays. Does that play a factor? Who knows.

Either way, it's obvious our defense will have to be the best in the league to stay in games, due to our inept offense.

Edited by Dorkington

Alright, lets review a bit... because I'm curious to see if I'm just angry, or if my suspicions are correct....

So what do I get out of this... 4 arguably good series. One that is hard to tell, because they got the ball on the 39 yard line. But still... And one that is a legitimately bad series. The two bad series happen after the defense has barely rested, due to the offense only running a couple plays. Does that play a factor? Who knows.

Either way, it's obvious our defense will have to be the best in the league to stay in games, due to our inept offense.

It's almost like Derrick Brooks said in an interview about the late 90's Bucs. The offense isn't going to score so we better shut these guys out, Martin Grammatica can kick a FG and we win every game 3-0.

It's almost like Derrick Brooks said in an interview about the late 90's Bucs. The offense isn't going to score so we better shut these guys out, Martin Grammatica can kick a FG and we win every game 3-0.

That's what I'm seeing...

If the offense did their job, and moved the ball past the Bucs 50, at the very least, it would have "only" been 7-0 going into halftime at worst, heh.

Defense looks ready for the season however I'm not sure that they're going to be improved after losing Byrd and Alonso, and with a new scheme to learn. I think if they look as good as last season it'll be an accomplishment.

This was a great post. Thanks for taking the time for putting it together. It pretty much firms up my suspicions that our D gets worn down and is asked to do way too much. Honestly though, it seems like that has been the case the past 14 years and even longer than that. You just can't keep putting the D in situations like that. It is only a matter of time before the bending turns into a break...

This was a great post. Thanks for taking the time for putting it together. It pretty much firms up my suspicions that our D gets worn down and is asked to do way too much. Honestly though, it seems like that has been the case the past 14 years and even longer than that. You just can't keep putting the D in situations like that. It is only a matter of time before the bending turns into a break...

I wonder how much simply slowing down the offense would help...

Are we still leaving a bunch of time on the playclock when we hike the ball? Haven't really paid attention to that this preseason.

Are we still leaving a bunch of time on the playclock when we hike the ball? Haven't really paid attention to that this preseason.

You would think it would help EJ to be able to read the D and comprehend what is going on a bit more. I do know that when you are training anyone you teach them how to do it right the first time and worry about picking up speed after they know how to do it. I just don't think trying to move quickly with young players is worth it at this point. It is like a coach who refuses to design a scheme around their players....

We let our Pro Bowl safety walk over a few million bucks. It's not a surprise.

Oh stop with that malarkey Coach

Correct, and the Bucs were exploiting the slow transitions by our safeties.

You know the Bills were trying out Graham at safety right ?

You know, it goes both ways with the new rules about db's and contact. If EJ would take some shots downfield instead of checking down virtually every time (so it seems), he might at least get some interference calls. He's been way too cautious for a young qb. Yes, we'll complain about int's, but I'll take them if it means more action and fewer punts.

They seem to snap with 20+ seconds in my observation. I agree. Practice in no huddle all you want, so you can do it, but you don't always need to go full throttle.

We have watched the pats vary the tempo as another weapon for years.