Trade idea: Chris Hogan for Christian Ponder

Really, this whole thread smacks of desperation. If the FO jumped on this right now, we'd be lucky to get Ponder into the last preseason game. And, how much would that be worth? If we pick up Ponder, it should be in free agency. We should not be trading anything of value for a back-up QB at this time. At this point in the preseason, it would be more of a distraction than a solution.

My point is what you said is true in theory. In reality, we have two abysmal options at backup QB which is one of the most important positions on the team. With good field generalship at the QB position, this team could make the playoffs. If you make this trade right now, and two months from now EJ gets hurt for a game or two, do you want Jeff Tuel trying to save our season, or do you want Christian Ponder who has by then been here for two months.

It's, ahem, a point to Ponder. ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is what you said is true in theory. In reality, we have two abysmal options at backup QB which is one of the most important positions on the team. With good field generalship at the QB position, this team could make the playoffs. If you make this trade right now, and two months from now EJ gets hurt for a game or two, do you want Jeff Tuel trying to save our season, or do you want Christian Ponder who has by then been here for two months.

It's, ahem, a point to Ponder. ;)

Has Tuel passed Lewis on the depth chart? As far as I know, Lewis is still #2. Be that as it may, as much as I don't like the idea of Christian Ponder saving our season, I have to agree with you. That being said, I still don't think we should pursue Ponder. It does smack of desperation, and I don't think that's useful at this point in the preseason. If he becomes available, great. If not, it's not worth the distraction.

On game day, Easley will be active because he's our best ST. If he is not going to be active on game day he shouldn't make the team at all.

Without question, IMO.

I like this idea. I think Ponder would run this offense better than either of our backups, he's tough and he's a leader. And I agree with you about the problems Hogan brings.

I'd also try to trade TJ Graham for Brandon Graham, as I've mentioned elsewhere...

For their third-string QB, when they need a slot WR? They might.

Is there anyone in football stupid enough to trade for TJ?

I doubt there is much of a market for him. But he showed some real potential as a returner this preseason. He has a ton of speed and some football people are obsessed with that. I'm not saying you could get much (especially if it is a foregone conclusion he will be cut) but he may not completely be without value.

If there is a trade to be made for Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White, there is a trade to be made for TJ. You just can't get an obviously decent player for him. You could get a second or third rounder from a couple years ago who hasn't done squat so far. You know, a guy like TJ graham. But once in awhile you get a Jerry Hughes or a serviceable Thad Lewis in return.

If there is a trade to be made for Kelvin Sheppard and Chris White, there is a trade to be made for TJ. You just can't get an obviously decent player for him. You could get a second or third rounder from a couple years ago who hasn't done squat so far. You know, a guy like TJ graham. But once in awhile you get a Jerry Hughes or a serviceable Thad Lewis in return.

Sometimes a different team/scheme, a new head/position coach can do wonders. These guys aren't without some talent. Sometimes they need a fresh start.

I'd love it if Minnesota cut him. He's without a doubt, a better QB atm than baddeus and tool. Neither of which would be on an nfl roster IMO, if it wasn't for us. Baddeus has 2 wins vs the dolphins, in which our defense won each game for us. Tuel should've been the beneficiary of our monster defensive performance vs the chiefs, but found a way to lose it. Just like he did at Washington st, going 4-22 as the starter. 4 wins in 26 games in college. Say what you like about the talent on his team, he lost games right along with them. I'm just sick to my stomach, that when/if Ej gets hurt, one of those guys will play. I'd take ponder in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure I remember Ponder being flat out benched a a few games towards the end @ FSU so they could insert EJ into the starting lineup. I say no. If we are going to trade Hogan then get something/someone else for him.

Edited by H2o

Yup. A lot of times that happens.

Much more times, of course, the player just sucks. Ha.

For sure, But you can find someone willing to take a shot if the player has elite speed.

Why not wait until Ponder is cut? I could see Hogan developing into a game ready slot receiver in a position where we will always need depth. Hogan is not posing a problem Marrone is just smart enough to see how Hogan responds to 1st team snaps. We know what Robert Woods is capable of and he's awesome. With this chip on his shoulder he could very well become a 1000 yd receiver this year. Hogan has responded well so far... terrific problem to have if you ask me.

Why not wait until Ponder is cut? I could see Hogan developing into a game ready slot receiver in a position where we will always need depth. Hogan is not posing a problem Marrone is just smart enough to see how Hogan responds to 1st team snaps. We know what Robert Woods is capable of and he's awesome. With this chip on his shoulder he could very well become a 1000 yd receiver this year. Hogan has responded well so far... terrific problem to have if you ask me.

He wouldn't even dress unless there is an injury. Except if Marrone has this crazy infatuation with him and activates him over Goodwin. I doubt we dress 6 WR on game day.

May keep or trade Ponder. They need a #5 or 6 receiver.

http://www.1500espn....e_the_cut081914

Yep. That summed it up pretty good. I can see why Norv would want to keep three, with one of them being Ponder, if he had his druthers. Usually a team wants a veteran starter, a veteran backup, and a young guy they are developing or grooming to be good someday. The Vikes have the veteran starter and their young guy who is a #1 draft pick and fighting for the starter job.

There is an argument for keeping Ponder but that's only if two guys get hurt. And 1.7m for a guy who is not going to play will not kill your cap but it's a little too much. if I am them, I don't think Ponder is ever going to be anything more than a backup, and he only has this year left on his contract. They are not keeping him, so they may as well trade him if there is a player that may help them, and groom a young guy with potential.