kareem abdul-jabbars opinion piece on ferguson

As a white person I would not presume to speak about what it means to be black. I will never know. Any more than a man can understand what it's like to be a woman, or vice versa. Even when the environments are "equal" there will be differences. I don't live in Ferguson (thank God) so I don't know if the cops are racist, one way or another. I do believe that equipping local deputy dawgs with military equipment is a mistake. It's not like Al Qaeda or ISIS is going to attack their little town. And I wonder if all that military stuff might have an impact on how police approach situations. But, again, I'm not there so I don't know. I do know that when I watch COPS I see all sorts of people grappling with officers and I've never once seen one get shot.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're a liberal then i'm barry goldwater.

Yo Barry... I call it like I see it.

I agree that ALL police need to be held accountable and every facet of their beat recorded... Even @ Dunkin Donuts. Make it so undesirable to the bully personalities that join the police force by watching their every second on the job. Maybe this weeds these tool cops off the force. Leave nothing to question. They are there to serve others first, not themselves, not their families, etc... If they want to serve themsleves, take a job somewhere else... Like on Wall Street or make gobs of money in the medical profession bleeding poor starving familes of their life savings. Service to others (even accused thugs) needs to be restored.

Is this better? :-P :-P

Now this story... Like I said, gives the legit people who get harmed by over officious jerks in blue a bad rap. Simple we move on. Just like the looters/rioters in Ferguson, MO, stop raising hell over the douchebags within their community. They are expendable, collateral damage. Judge a man by his character, not the color of his skin. I forget who said that. ;-) ;-) Save the righteous indignation for the people and cases that really need it. You don't think these thugs and gangbangers are watching what is going on? They are... And it is making the cops who really want to serve and protect job's that much harder!

Cut the criminal element off @ the pass. Things will get worse before they finally get better.

Hey Doc, what's an "Orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket"? It sounds like a big deal but sometimes the press makes things sound like a big deal that aren't a big deal. That's why I'm asking you.

Link

P.S. I don't think this proves anything regarding the case at all, because I am trying to be objective.

As a white person I would not presume to speak about what it means to be black. I will never know. Any more than a man can understand what it's like to be a woman, or vice versa. Even when the environments are "equal" there will be differences. I don't live in Ferguson (thank God) so I don't know if the cops are racist, one way or another. I do believe that equipping local deputy dawgs with military equipment is a mistake. It's not like Al Qaeda or ISIS is going to attack their little town. And I wonder if all that military stuff might have an impact on how police approach situations. But, again, I'm not there so I don't know. I do know that when I watch COPS I see all sorts of people grappling with officers and I've never once seen one get shot.

People panic. You make very valid points. Why don't we have a uniformed miltary presence @ the airport? Like they do in Mexico? People see the military presence and it makes things worse.

Hey Doc, what's an "Orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket"? It sounds like a big deal but sometimes the press makes things sound like a big deal that aren't a big deal. That's why I'm asking you.

Link

P.S. I don't think this proves anything regarding the case at all, because I am trying to be objective.

I would think it means getting punched in the eye. I wonder what that looks like? Would half the face still look good?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

are you tempted to commit crimes often? yeah, every time i am i think exactly the same thing! aren't i awesome?

No, you are an upstanding member of society. What is your point?

Link

Trauma to the eye socket leading to part of the eye and/or extra-ocular muscles protruding into the sinuses. Between this and the footage from the convenience store, as well as the autopsy showing he was shot from the front, any sympathy I had for the kid is quickly fading. And cries of racism are a joke, yet again.

Link

well, that's convincing. a generic head CT clearly not of the police officer. and an unsourced, unnamed report. who's eager to believe one side now?

but lets assume it's true. then the question becomes one of excessive force. were 6 shots including one to the top of the head needed for this officer to secure his safety? time will tell, as you said.

Trauma to the eye socket leading to part of the eye and/or extra-ocular muscles protruding into the sinuses. Between this and the footage from the convenience store, as well as the autopsy showing he was shot from the front, any sympathy I had for the kid is quickly fading. And cries of racism are a joke, yet again.

yeash, you were so compassionate and sympathetic before this report it must be really hard to give that empathy up.

well, that's convincing. a generic head CT clearly not of the police officer. and an unsourced, unnamed report. who's eager to believe one side now?

but lets assume it's true. then the question becomes one of excessive force. were 6 shots including one to the top of the head needed for this officer to secure his safety? time will tell, as you said.

My P.S. clearly stated that I feel this proves nothing. That included not even being convinced the assertion of the article is true. I am not eager to believe it.

Thanks for not answering the question though. Would it hurt your narrative? Let me ask it in a way that won't hurt your narrative:

Beerboy suffered an orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket when my hamster Sammy took exception to some particularly bad flatulence.

Hey Doc, what's an "orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket"?

Time is going to tell jack ****. Multiple "witness" statements, three separate investigations, the usual ****ty reporting, the usual pressure to choose sides NOW based on emotion and preconceived notions..."facts" abandoned this case a long, long time ago, and are never coming back.

My P.S. clearly stated that I feel this proves nothing. That included not even being convinced the assertion of the article is true. I am not eager to believe it.

Hey Doc, what's an "orbital blowout fracture to the eye socket"?

then i have to wonder why you linked it in the first place.

doc had already defined the condition. it's not a difficult concept and the "report" even provided you a picture.

then i have to wonder why you linked it in the first place.

doc had already defined the condition. it's not a difficult concept and the "report" even provided you a picture.

I was hoping to get some input from you, but your objectivity won't even allow that much huh? And I was calling you Doc, not Doc Doc but I can see how that might be confusing honestly. I linked it in the first place to demonstrate that it is healthy to view input from either side of a topic with, you know....objectivity. Maybe even skepticism. You seem to view information pointing one direction as critically important and information pointing another direction as.....well......something to not even be acknowledged.

I am reserving judgement because reports on stuff like this come out all the time and then you find out it is only half of the information or incorrect altogether.

Edited by 4merper4mer

As the eyewitness accounts continue to corroborate the officer's story, one has to wonder, at what point with people finally stand up in protest against Sharpton and Jackson?

You'd think Sharpton has enough blood on his hands. But no.

Maybe he can get someone else killed in Ferguson.

I am reserving judgement because reports on stuff like this come out all the time and then you find out it is only half of the information or incorrect altogether.

I may have jumped the gun on the orbital blowout report's legitimacy. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true and there are other things that make me start to think that this kid wasn't as innocent as people are trying to portray.

If we don’t have a specific agenda—a list of exactly what we want to change and how—we will be gathering over and over again beside the dead bodies of our murdered children, parents, and neighbors.

He could have offered some ideas here. So we know what he is talking about

This thread is for Birddog to justify Kareem's illogical and disjointed justifications for communism.

Communism?? WTH are you talking about?

I may have jumped the gun on the orbital blowout report's legitimacy. But I wouldn't be surprised if it were true and there are other things that make me start to think that this kid wasn't as innocent as people are trying to portray.

i don't think for a minute he was an eagle scout. but have we now moved on from an eye for an eye to an eye for a life?

As the eyewitness accounts continue to corroborate the officer's story, one has to wonder, at what point with people finally stand up in protest against Sharpton and Jackson?

You'd think Sharpton has enough blood on his hands. But no.

Maybe he can get someone else killed in Ferguson.

Sharpton still thinks Tawana Brawley is an innocent victim. He's never responsible, it's always someone else's fault.

I've given up hope that the black community would realize how that fat piece of **** takes advantage of them to line his own pockets. It's truly shameful that he shares the title of "civil rights leader" with Martin Luther King.

Are you sure?

BvaE4LiCQAAVkiM.png

now that is scary if not a doctored picture. i saw that a similar sign was posted at the white house fence. our middle east policy is and has been a mess.

Sharpton still thinks Tawana Brawley is an innocent victim. He's never responsible, it's always someone else's fault.

I've given up hope that the black community would realize how that fat piece of **** takes advantage of them to line his own pockets. It's truly shameful that he shares the title of "civil rights leader" with Martin Luther King.

agreed. he's as opportunistic and exploitative as any of the people jabbar calls out. he's a gadfly turned malaria infected mosquito. Edited by birdog1960