Tale of Qbs Big Ben & EJ

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly. Look, the reality is that EJ was not seen by anyone (including Whaley and Merrone likely) as having any likelihood of being an upper tier NFL QB in his rookie year (I am defining upper tier as the top 1/3 of QB starters). Does anyone disagree, and if so why?

Quite frankly I had few expectations that any rookie QB fir us would even rank in the upper half of QBs.

The key question for this year is NOT whether EJ is going to develop and show the skills necessary for a QB to lead the team to the playoffs (The answer is NO! EJ has not even started 16 games yet.

The question is whether despite EJ's limitations at ;east til he gets more time, can the Bills acquire sufficient additional talent to get to the playoffs.

The answer is maybe, but the vision as executed by the braintrust looks like a good try.

RB- Great results last year and reinforced with good quality at both #3 #4.

OL- Tough task but some high risk big return/low investment efforts like Henderson, Williams and even Cujo make this effort possible.

WR- Stepped up to get consensus best WR, have a #2 who is among most exciting and got a high return low risk #3.

Folks need to stop fixating on whether EJ is gonna be great (he ain't for a season or two at least and instead focus on how this team can win even if the QB is average at best as a youngster.

Big Ben: 143 NFL games

EJ: 10 NFL games.

The question is whether despite EJ's limitations at ;east til he gets more time, can the Bills acquire sufficient additional talent to get to the playoffs.

Really!? How many WRs and Lineman did we bring in, on top of having two great backs, The only thing we lack is a TE. There is more than enough Talent for EJ to excel, time for him to step up.

Nope. We brought in 2 WRs both of whom have the physical talents (but not the experience yet in Watkins case or the head/heart in two previous outings to do so but it is not unreasonable that he should see this as a last chance. The OL includes 2 solid starters in Glenn/Wood, but again not unreasonable hopes of finding the other 3 from 3 physical talents that have not cut it yet (Williams, Henderson, Cujo) and a plethora of former starters and projects to compete).

Will this work. Maybe/maybe not but in an NFL designed to keep even semi-adequate teams in the hunt until wk 12, the BillS HHAVE A SHOT.

Anyone with any football observer experience should know even in a good year about half of 1st round choices are at #1 on depth charts at their position at the end of the year. It also seemed pretty obvious to most that EJ probably had greater long term prospects than other QBs in the last draft, but that he was a ways away from being a success as a rookie. The fact that injuries rather than transferring from his collegiate style to a pro style was actually his biggest drawback so far ain't great but in the reality of QB development is not bad.

Panicking and making a final judgment on his pro prospects until he logs about 3 seasons is simply bad football thinking. I think it would be stupid jumping the gun to declare him the next Jimbo if the Merrone scheme works out and he produces well this year and stupid to declare him a bust at tthis point as well.

Can the Bills compete for the playoffs this year?

Yeah, if

1. The run game with the addition of Brown/Dixon when the likely injury knocks out Jax or Spiller produces like it did last year, and

2. The OL mix and matches the great talent and mental midgets it has to develop working chemistry from 5 guya

3. The WRs actually turn out to have 3 #1 performing talents (or at least 2) from Watkins, Woods, Williams.

4. Finally if EJ proves to be at least adequate as he moves to finally start 16.

Patience grasshopper Patience.

If this team pulls the plug on EJ now and goes casting off for some new QB of the week, then we are likely doomed to the same fate which saw us: 1. Bank on Jimbo lasting longer than he did when it seemed obvious to even me he was done, 2. Out of panic got us to stretch a round or so to get Collins and then to panic and give him the start while his happy feet tendencies were not trained out of him, 3. Reach stupidly for Billy Joe Hobert giving away a 3rd round pick and then having to cut this idiot when he did not prepare, 4. Trade vlue for RJ and then stupidly sign him to a guaranteed deal so that when he proved to be injury prone but Flutie performed as AJ Smith said he would we ended up with a ton of cap money locked up at QB, 5. Reached for JP and then totally messed up training him in our usual overfocus on the QN position 6. Edward screw up 7. Fitzgibbons debacle which again I trace to screwy way we over emphasize.

The Bills strike me as doing the right thing with a good emphasis on building the rest of the O and with a little luck this team should be able to pit up some Os with merely adequate play from EJ as we will be quite lucky to get that from him for aat least a full season or more.

Do you feel either that EJ is good enough to develop into an upper tier QB with less than a couple of years of starts or that there is someone else out there we should get instead. If so then who?

The key to this team winning is not gonna be EJ suddenly developing quicker than the 3 years conventional wisdom usually requires of a QB its gonna be whether the rest of the TEAM builds chemistry and develops in a manner that the Bills can win with merely adequate play from EJ.

He has the skillset and pedigree to potentially be a good one but simply is not there yet.

Really!? How many WRs and Lineman did we bring in, on top of having two great backs, The only thing we lack is a TE. There is more than enough Talent for EJ to excel, time for him to step up.

I'm not saying I was thrilled with EJ's performance last night, he needs to get better and be more patient in the red zone, but comparing those two, I think it's unfair.

That's where the problem is. If that is the guy that is taking the snaps across the field the gap between the two has to be as small as possible. Right now it is a chasm. The rest of your team has to be so much better than the rest of theirs if you are going to start a QB that is significantly worse. We are all hoping that this year that gap narrows but so far it hasn't.

He is just so inacurate. He made two throws on the run which were designed plays and he came nowhere close to his target.

This. He's just not good enough. Even a guy like Nassib is showing a difference from year 1 to year 2 with far fewer games. EJ looks exactly the same as last preseason.

When I watch Ej MAnuel play qb i notice a few things that really stand out above anything else..

1: His throws can end up anywhere.

2. He is a big QB standing in the pocket

3. He shows qualities of a leader on the field

4. He seems to get better as the game goes on.

With all that said I don't think you can expect his accuracy to get any better. You can hit what your looking at or you cant. I think he is always going to have that issue. I love the way he finishes games. Preseason doesn't allow you that opportunity so Im not jumping off the bridge regarding EJ yet. However I am quite miffed at the front office for not having a decent QB to fall back on, both of they're backups are average college players at best and not worthy of a NFL roster spot. That makes absolutely no sense to me at all. How the heck can you place your whole season on an inexperienced injury prone to this date qb with NO insurance at all????? Its MORONIC

Edited by Stenbar

Then why stick around....plenty of bandwagons in other places

This garbage is what makes any qb discussion on this board unproductive and has since I found Scott's forum in 1999. Dickheads flaming reasonable posts with love it or leave it nonsense, shitting up what had been a pretty reasonable discussion up until this douchebaggery.

Experience and having the game slow down is one thing. Not being able to hit a target is another.

Marrone clearly said he wasnt going to show anything in Preseason. So Im not that worried. but lets see how week 1 goes down in Chi-town!