FCC to make announcement here on sports blackouts

uncle flap

I'll believe it when I am able to watch a blacked out Bills game without firing up a satellite dish.

But it sure would be nice for everyone to be able to watch on TV if they wanted to.

The question is, if the FCC lifts the rule, will the NFL still have the networks blackout anyway.

what drives me nuts is baseball blackouts.

WNY is in like 20% of MLB's territory, including Cleveland. If the Indians are on ESPN, MLB Network, etc I cannot watch it. The only way is to get Directv, subscribe to the extra sports tier so I can get Sports Time Ohio.

I'm pretty sure the FCC can't own television markets in two different sports.

they have no jurisdiction over toronto, but because the bisons are the bluejays farm team, not sure how that would affect the bills.. i think if pegula gets the bills , he couldnt buy the bisons.. Edited by dwight in philly

Blackouts are stupid. All these cities give either tax breaks or actual public funds to maintain, revamp, or even re build these stadiums. If it is publicly funded in any way, the product has no right to be withheld from the LOCAL population. Especially when it is available through the rest of the country.

@john_wawrow: I certainly would be careful of consequences of lifting blackout rules. The threat if pay-for watching blackout games could be pricey.

@john_wawrow: And once that pay-for watching blacked out games is uncorked, it may never be corked. Important to see both sides of blackout issue.

@john_wawrow: I certainly would be careful of consequences of lifting blackout rules. The threat if pay-for watching blackout games could be pricey.

@john_wawrow: And once that pay-for watching blacked out games is uncorked, it may never be corked. Important to see both sides of blackout issue.

Don't lift the black out, no more public subsidy. Easy solution.

what drives me nuts is baseball blackouts.

WNY is in like 20% of MLB's territory, including Cleveland. If the Indians are on ESPN, MLB Network, etc I cannot watch it. The only way is to get Directv, subscribe to the extra sports tier so I can get Sports Time Ohio.

Same issue here. Im a Mets fan and live a 6 hour drive from Citi Field. I am just within the "circle". I have Dish and subscribed to SNY. Dish lost SNY due to contract talks but every time it is an ESPN Game it is blacked out due to the fact I am in that "circle". So I don't watch the Mets any more. What did they accomplish? They lost a dedicated fan. Simple as that.

I don't immediately see anything wrong with a pay-per-view of blacked out games, which is exactly what I would expect the NFL to do (show me the money). Though I imagine the networks and people who still watch over the air would not be very happy about it.

Edited by CodeMonkey