Manziel watch 2014!

FireChan

Those werent drops, those were (every single one of them) bad throws that even a player (gordon) with a 10 foot wing span couldnt gather because they were so off. Not one of those passes from JF was a drop.

I disagree with that. I can remember at least 3 distinct plays where Gordon/Cameron made a poor play on the ball.

They weren't perfect throws, but they were catches you would expect an NFL WR/TE to make.

Edited by jmc12290

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with that. I can remember at least 3 distinct plays where Gordon/Cameron made a poor play on the ball.

They weren't perfect throws, but they were catches you would expect an NFL WR/TE to make.

watch it then (its on youtube if you need)

None of the incompletions in the 1st 10 passes would be considered a drop. Did guys technically get a finger or a hand on some of the passes? Yes. None of them would be graded as a drop in the coaching area however. The incomplete passes were awful and many to open guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUb3nYZZ5jw

Edited by 34-78-83

I thought both Manziel and Hoyer were off the mark on several throws in that game. I dont blame either of them. Frankly I would aim the cannon at the coaching staff. By splitting reps in practice I dont think either of them had sufficient time to develop the chemistry needed for crisp timing patterns. Additionally, I am confused as to why Josh Gordon has had as much PT as he has. While we dont know how long he'll be suspended, its pretty certain he wont be in the line-up week one. Put his replacement in there, let the QB's get used to whomever that is. JMHO of course.

You mean the first ten passes that had 5 drops?

Nope, just a secret handshake.

You know, you might be taken more seriously if you could just admit he has played bad. His only td pass was against 3rd stringers and it wAs shovel pass behind the line of scrimmage.

You bash EJ every chance you get and make excuses for everything Manziel does. At least, you're a loyal BF. :)

watch it then (its on youtube if you need)

None of the incompletions in the 1st 10 passes would be considered a drop. Did guys technically get a finger or a hand on some of the passes? Yes. None of them would be graded as a drop in the coaching area however. The incomplete passes were awful and many to open guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUb3nYZZ5jw

Have to agree w/skip that coaching staff is hurting both players. Pettine is in over his bald head, and shanahan is a dud ... I'm really impressed with how much better skins offense already looks without him.

At this time I'm having a hard time seeing now any QB thrives under that regime.

Have to agree w/skip that coaching staff is hurting both players. Pettine is in over his bald head, and shanahan is a dud ... I'm really impressed with how much better skins offense already looks without him.

At this time I'm having a hard time seeing now any QB thrives under that regime.

Joe, I agree on the skins Offense looking better when Cousins was running it. I'm not so sure about RGIII.

Some signal callers like Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, and you could put RGIII into this category, are not your typical pocket passing QB's and need an Offense suited/built around their skill set IMO.

Myself personally, I'm a fan of JF, but It was the right decision giving Hoyer the start. Especially considering half Hoyers throws were dropped. Hoyer knows how to read an opposing NFL Defense, and its a job requirement Manziel has barely scratched the surface on.

Good call HC Pettine :thumbsup:

Note: Reading all the discussions lets keep in mind Its not always the QB's fault when a play isn't executed properly. One play where JF threw behind his TE, its because he expected the TE to sit down in the middle of the zone Defense. TE made the mistake, but JF takes the blame for being off target. (Just goes with the territory)

Edited by Donald Duck

I agree on the skins Offense looking better when Cousins was running it. I'm not so sure about RGIII.

Some signal callers like Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, and you could put RGIII into this category, are not your typical pocket passing QB's and need an Offense suited/built around their skill set IMO.

It was the right decision giving Hoyer the start IMO, especially considering half his throws were dropped. Hoyer knows how to read an opposing Defense, and its a job requirement JF has barely scratched the surface on.

Note: Reading all the discussions lets keep in mind Its not always the QB's fault when a play isn't executed properly. One play where JF threw behind his TE, its because he expected the TE to sit down in the middle of the zone Defense. TE made the mistake, but JF takes the blame for being off target. (Just goes with the territory)

RG3 was playing against starters. Cousins was playing against backups. Manziel played against starters and 3rd stringers.

I agree on the skins Offense looking better when Cousins was running it. I'm not so sure about RGIII.

It was the right decision giving Hoyer the start IMO, especially considering half his throws were dropped. Hoyer knows how to read an opposing Defense, and its a job requirement JF has barely scratched the surface on.

I would add to this that Hoyer is in tune with the full playbook, where Johnny is still learning. This gives the offense more versatility to throw at an opposing defense.

If Cleveland has a QB problem, to be honest it is a problem I'd like to have here in Bills country !

You know, you might be taken more seriously if you could just admit he has played bad. His only td pass was against 3rd stringers and it wAs shovel pass behind the line of scrimmage.

You bash EJ every chance you get and make excuses for everything Manziel does. At least, you're a loyal BF. :)

Yeah but that's cause EJ sucks and Manziel doesn't.

I did admit he had a bad game, if you read my posts. But Cameron (a top 5 TE) and Gordon (a top 5 reciever) didn't do him or Hoyer any favors.

I would add to this that Hoyer is in tune with the full playbook, where Johnny is still learning. This gives the offense more versatility to throw at an opposing defense.

If Cleveland has a QB problem, to be honest it is a problem I'd like to have here in Bills country !

Just going to ignore that little fact that EJ has a 112 qb rating his first preseason? If Johnny Hobbit did that, he would never be off ESPN.

Yeah but that's cause EJ sucks and Manziel doesn't.

I did admit he had a bad game, if you read my posts. But Cameron (a top 5 TE) and Gordon (a top 5 reciever) didn't do him or Hoyer any favors.

Wow. Then go post at Browns board and see if you can sneak into Manziel's apartment. Maybe you can get a selfie with him.

It's also that you blame 2 proven top 5 guys at their position are the problem. Maybe that midget isn't as good as you want him to be.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Just going to ignore that little fact that EJ has a 112 qb rating his first preseason? If Johnny Hobbit did that, he would never be off ESPN.

Wow. Then go post at Browns board and see if you can sneak into Manziel's apartment. Maybe you can get a selfie with him.

It's also that you blame 2 proven top 5 guys at their position are the problem. Maybe that midget isn't as good as you want him to be.

Sorry dude, what did you expect in a Manziel thread? You're gonna need a stronger stomach if you wanna see how the sausage is made.

I didn't blame them, I literally just said JF had a bad game. But Cameron had 3 balls hit him in the hands, the same balls we all cry about when Chandler can't hold on to. Same with Gordon. That's the truth.

Edited by FireChan

why is hoyer that much more familiar? He didnt even have an OC until mid february? Sure he has some more time, but its not like hes a multi year vet of the same system and manziel is walking in substantially behind.

In fairness to hoyer (who I don't like) this us a new offense for him too

why is hoyer that much more familiar? He didnt even have an OC until mid february? Sure he has some more time, but its not like hes a multi year vet of the same system and manziel is walking in substantially behind.

Hoyer has been in the NFL for six years. That gives him a distinct advantage in many ways.

Sorry dude, what did you expect in a Manziel thread? You're gonna need a stronger stomach if you wanna see how the sausage is made.

I didn't blame them, I literally just said JF had a bad game. But Cameron had 3 balls hit him in the hands, the same balls we all cry about when Chandler can't hold on to. Same with Gordon. That's the truth.

With all honesty, who had a better rookie preseason- EJ or Manziel?

Hoyer has been in the NFL for six years. That gives him a distinct advantage in many ways.

You should be a goalie with the way you deflect.

And yet another double standard by you. When you tried to say Lewis outplayed EJ last year, some posters pointed out the it was Thad's 3rd year in the NFL. You said that didn't matter. Make up your mind!

surely it does. but i dont know that we would argue that Kolb was far more in tune with the playbook than EJ last year - for instance.

it just struck me as a clunky argument, a bit. perhaps one that was based on hoyer being a brown last year, even. i know being a vet and having learned several playbooks can help the learning curve, but i dont know that arguing hoyer is miles ahead in the playbook is a positive argument for johnny like the poster was framing it...

He has started 3 games for the Brown's. He could only finish 2. Played well in only 1. He's a career backup, Curtis Painter without the ring.

Nothing will change this year.