Does anyone actually think the coaches want to lose, especially this y

Virgil

When I read all of these threads about EJ being terrible and CJ getting traded, I can only think one thing. That people who think these things assume that the coaches don't want the best players out there and don't care if they win.

IF, and I mean IF, they thought about trading for another QB or benching EJ, it would because they thought EJ couldn't win. If they start EJ, which they are going to, then that means that they believe he will give them their best chance to win.

Same for trading Spiller. If they were going to trade him, then they would have to believe that they have a better rb tandem without him here.

I just refuse to believe that Marrone is sitting back and thinking about how to put the least competitive team on the field. It just makes no sense. Especially this year when we will have a new owner who will want to put their stamp on the franchise. If Marrone can't show that he can win, I think he is gone after this year. Not that I think he should be, but that's how it goes with new owners usually, unless there is a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." situation.

AND, on the off chance that you think that they are just making dumb decisions by sticking with EJ because he was a first round pick or because CJ is worth more as a 3rd round pick, then just cash it in on this season because the people running the show are idiots and will make way more mistakes throughout the season.

Just thoughts

Edited by Derek in Va

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is genuinely a magic time of year for Bills fans as the conspiracy theorists come up with some doozies while the true billeivers have rose colored glasses firmly placed on. When you consider the sale of the team aspect, we have never seen one like it in the past, and won't for many years. Anyway, stop the silliness already - these guys are hell bent on winning and winning now...the coaches, the players, the whole effing organization. They are sticking to the plan and commitment for this season - maybe they know more about football than we do....

I don't think the OP was saying he believed the coach/organization wants to lose. I think he was saying that if the coach/organization sticks with EJ it is because they believe he gives them the best chance to win - and was asking those, who say EJ is terrible, if they believe that the coaches are sticking with him (1) because they want to lose or (2) because they are idiots incapable of making good personnel decisions.

That is what I got from it...

OP should change the thread title then, because that's what he said.

I love how I have gotten mod warnings for things half as harsh as this...

However just this post may be.

I can't help it anymore...between the posts on here and the ones on the Bills Mafia facebook page I want to go over the Falls in a barrel.

I understand what the OP is saying and agree with him completely. They are not going to throw away this season by playing EJ because he was a first round pick or trading CJ because they think he may be gone after this year. They are playing EJ because he is our best option (in their opinions which I agree with) either on the team or available at QB elsewhere and they are not trading CJ because we want to win now!

Guys...chill. The OP was making a rhetorical point in opposition to all the whiny babies on here crying their "EJ sucks! We're doomed!" nonsense. Calling him retarded is unnecessary.

Yeah, that seemed obvious to me. I think the quick, harsh responses were by those who only read the thread title and maybe skimmed the first couple lines.

Are you stupid or just retarded? What coach at any level would want to lose? Have you ever played any type of organized sport? Do you realize how obsessed with winning and competetive coaches must be to make it to the NFL? I mean even grade school and high school coaches are ultra competetive. These dudes are gonna put in 16 hour days 7 days a week for months on end to try and lose??? And when they get fired what are they going to say to prospective new employees who would have heard whispers about it through the grapevine?? GTFO!!

This might be the dumbest post in the history of TBD and that says a lot.

Actually this post does get at a key question important to understand what the Bills braintrust is trying to do. There is pretty much zero chance the Bills coaches are going to roll the dice for their future on EITHER:

1. Banking on EJ turning out to be a player capable of carrying this tem on his back to a playoff berth (this outcome is incredibly unlikely that any QB can be so great in his first full season is not a good bet. Particularly when EJs failings are pretty obvious to us outside observers.

2. Instead trading for Orton or some other QB who has failed elsewhere after admitting with this move that this braintrust missed badly in assessing EJ is sillier.

What seems more logical in terms of what Bills leadership is doing is that given EJs injuries last year and the simple fact that the health of no NFL player can be assumed Merrone/Whaley and the crew are actually planning and implementing how to win enough games to make the playoffs even if EJ gets hurt (again) or is not ready for prinmetime yet (as many of us already conclude or at least fear)

The key too the Bills strategy is:

A. They have invested significantly in the O such that their is a credible chance that an already productive run game despite injuries last year and now reinforced by the acquisition of Bryce Brown if/when Jax/Spiller gets nicked. The run game will be the bulwark of our O approach and does not demand EJ be one of the best QBs in the NFL.

We devoted substantial resources for the best WR in the draft who has demonstrated strengths with YAC (demanding only short passes from EJ), great hands and a demonstrated success in college in gathering in jump balls (again lowering the demand in EJ to be great) and also he is focusing on getting quick separation (again lowering demand on EJ). Further, we got a twice failed #1 pick coming back home in a last chance for him to be our #3. Further, our #2 Woods is a youngster who looks good. Again the emphasis for the Bills is not whether EJ is a top 10 NFL QB (he almost certainly will not be) but instead how can we win with a mere adequate QB.

On OL things look positive with 2 solid starters (Wood/Glenn). 3 players judged 1st round talents physically but slipped due to other issues (they will either work out or be cut), and for the ones who get cut, then current Biils OL players, Pears, Urbik, and Hairston are competing to step up or back-up.

B. The D took a blow with Alonso going down but the DL has great potential and run stopping problems were helped out by the FA acquisition of Spikes.

C. ST is the biggest unknown with the braintrust having not previously shown positive production but they did get some players with good ST talents so we will see.

The key to the Bills prospects are not whether EJ plays great Ih almost certainly will not) but whether the Bills have acquired the talent and are employing it in a way that will let them win enough games with merely adequate play from EJ.

I like what I see so far.

Yeah, that seemed obvious to me. I think the quick, harsh responses were by those who only read the thread title and maybe skimmed the first couple lines.

reading comprehension is an underrated skill.

Yup. Three quick entries for reading fails up top.

No...are you kidding me?

This^^^^

Good grief... Yeah lose so they can all get fired.....just what any competitive coach would want as an outcome.

Why not make it simple and just forfeit the games now. That way we can all look forward to the next season beyond a draft where we gave up a first rounder that by default becomes the top pick in the draft.

I agree that EJ will not play great this year (very unlikely) and that hopefully the front office has acquired enough talent to field a competitive team that will compensate for the lack of great quarterback play. Many teams have had good seasons without great quarterbacking, but how many fair well in the playoffs without one?

OR you should read the post before commenting.

Agree with OP. And for all intents and purposes Marrone and Whaley could be betting their professional careers on EJ Manuel.

My worry is that they really do not want him looking over his shoulder, so they didn't bring in any competition for him, and that lessens the chances of winning, not widens it, which is their intention. I understand the logical but strongly disagree with it.

I also brought up in another thread that Marrone, with Hackett, was able to make a very productive college quarterback from a very mediocre talent in Nassib, and may be too much in Whaley's ear saying I can make this guy EJ good. It's also the reason he thinks he can make Tuel into a decent back-up. I'm very worried that is the case. And would hope that Whaley doesn't put too much stock in it.

I have no knowledge of their decision making on the QB position but this is almost sure to be true in some ways. Otherwise, as you stated, they would not be doing what they are doing.

Or maybe you could actually read the OP's post?

This^^^^

Good grief... Yeah lose so they can all get fired.....just what any competitive coach would want as an outcome.

Why not make it simple and just forfeit the games now. That way we can all look forward to the next season beyond a draft where we gave up a first rounder that by default becomes the top pick in the draft.

Mod...lol really?.....:)

There are so many posters on this board who are going to look absolutely ridiculous when EJ has a good year and turns out to be a pretty darn good QB. The fact that so many rush to judgement based on 1/2 a season last year (which he was actually pretty good in considering he was a rookie, our OLine sucked, rookie HC and OC, lost significant development time to injury) and 2 drives during the pre-season is so laughable to me that I can't even describe it.