Anyone familiar with these food items: Kefir & Kombucha?

The Poojer

would like to hear some thoughts on those who know or consume them, particularly the kefir, the kombucha doesn't really sound like its "my cup of tea"....(see what I did there?). I have the opportunity to get some kefir grains, just not too familiar except for what I have read online...

actually i think it has lactase which helps digest the lactose...does she do store bought or does she make her own?

My wife drinks kefir and likes it. Cross between milk and yogurt. I don't touch as I am lactose intolerant. Says it has none.. But experience tells me not to chance it.

actually i think it has lactase which helps digest the lactose...does she do store bought or does she make her own?

Store bought. You are correct that lactase is the enzyme hose of us who are lactose intolerant are missing. It's just not worth the impact if it is mislabeled or misrepresentative of the situation - EII is right if you are at home in the safety of zone of your own throne. If the "feeling" hits you elsewhere .... Ugh

Store bought. You are correct that lactase is the enzyme hose of us who are lactose intolerant are missing. It's just not worth the impact if it is mislabeled or misrepresentative of the situation - EII is right if you are at home in the safety of zone of your own throne. If the "feeling" hits you elsewhere .... Ugh

LoL... Also if you are ever speeding east/west (actual direction north/south) in Chicago on I-94 and you have the uncontrolled urge... You know where a VERY clean, ARMY CLEAN bathroom just off 130th street east @ the Lake Calumet/Chicago Port exit is. It is one of the best kept secrets in the Chicago city limits! That's why we call it the "Comfort Station." LoL... Stop by and say hello after the deal has been sealed! LoL... Second shift may not like you very much since they are in charge of comfort station upkeep... LoL... Just tell them Eric sent you, they will hate you & I even more!

It's my pleasure to provide good, clean, quality services to our nation's travellers! Hey somebody has to do it and we have the world's best dillution system just feet away! :-) :-O

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Love Kefir. I've had some digestive issues this year and it really settles my stomach among other suspected benefits.

I usually drink a cup each morning and buy it at Aldi's. Much cheaper than the local grocery stores.

Pooj, i know nothing about Kefir, but just a quick antidote.

I like plain Greek Yogurt as i try to keep my sugar intake as low as possible, and yesterday buy one by GreekGods... Make some stuff with it last night, and commented to my wife did not look like regular Greek Yogurt. Did not love the taste either.

Get up this morning and start to put my blueberries in it, and notice the word "style" next to the the words Greek Yogurt. Very small, and in a very light font.So instead of 0 fat, had 46% of RDA Saturated Fat, loaded with carbs and sugars, and very little protein...in short poopy yogurt made thick with pectin,pretty much the opposite of Greek yogurt.

Reason i bring it up, this outfit also makes Kefir, so check very closely before you buy anything from them.

LoL... Also if you are ever speeding east/west (actual direction north/south) in Chicago on I-94 and you have the uncontrolled urge... You know where a VERY clean, ARMY CLEAN bathroom just off 130th street east @ the Lake Calumet/Chicago Port exit is. It is one of the best kept secrets in the Chicago city limits! That's why we call it the "Comfort Station." LoL... Stop by and say hello after the deal has been sealed! LoL... Second shift may not like you very much since they are in charge of comfort station upkeep... LoL... Just tell them Eric sent you, they will hate you & I even more!

It's my pleasure to provide good, clean, quality services to our nation's travellers! Hey somebody has to do it and we have the world's best dillution system just feet away! :-) :-O

I have always hated hotel and public bathrooms... I assume that I will see you several times between sept 4-8....

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of eating fermented foods.

That said, I don't do kombucha or kefir, for the simple reason that they are expensive, and I can easily ferment other foods myself for much less money and derive the same prebiotic gut benefits.

My three favorites:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/naturally-fermented-dill-pickles/

http://www.savorylotus.com/fermented-ginger-carrots/

I have always hated hotel and public bathrooms... I assume that I will see you several times between sept 4-8....

Are you flying or driving from PA? The drive takes you right past us if you DO NOT take the 90 (Skyway). Take 80/94 and then pick up I-94 when it splits off from I-80... To Chicago. Cheaper too! Chicago Skyway is highway robbery.

I am working that week 1st shift and during the weekend of the game, 0800-1600. Stop in and say hello... I can give you directions and a tour before or after the game. Too bad you weren't trailering a boat, you could take it from the canal inland... Boat to the game, tailgate on The Lake/harbor... Dock and then go to the game... Boat back... You'd have ZERO traffic @ all. You would never have to stay downtown and could get a cheap hotel in the South Suburbs or Indiana for well under a 100 a night!

Heck... If you are anywhere near Pitt and The Three Rivers... Jump in the boat and start heading to Chicago now! You'd make it in time!

;-P ;-P

EDIT: Actually, in all my years here... I never thought about taking a boat to the game and tailgating right on The Lake/Harbor... Launch many miles inland @ the lock or below... Then docking somewhere and walking to the game. The Chicago Loop Cruise (can Google it) is a great way to see the area/city and spend a day on the water... Heck, even if The Lake is rough, you can come right around the canals and get to Downtown without even stepping out onto the Lake... Just dock on the river and take a short walk or cab to the game... Boat back and avoid the mess of traffic.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of eating fermented foods.

That said, I don't do kombucha or kefir, for the simple reason that they are expensive, and I can easily ferment other foods myself for much less money and derive the same prebiotic gut benefits.

My three favorites:

http://www.thekitchn...e-kitchn-193124

http://www.marksdail...d-dill-pickles/

http://www.savorylot...ginger-carrots/

have thought about making my own yogurt, but just seems so much easier to buy...

have thought about making my own yogurt, but just seems so much easier to buy...

Yogurt is a bit of a pain...you need a starter (which can be store-bought yogurt), and some type of stable temperature control (the best option is a sous vide bath; second best is a crock pot with multiple heat settings combined with a digital thermometer).

Then you need to boil EVERYTHING that's going to touch the product, which is kind of time consuming and a nuisance. After that it's not too bad, as you simply get your milk to 120 deg, mix some of it with the starter (use a tempering technique so as not to kill the starter bacteria if your thermometer is off by a few degrees), then combine that with the remainder of the milk and mix.

Pour it off into mason jars and place in the water bath for 6-8 hours, take it out, let it cool, and you've got yogurt.

Are you flying or driving from PA? The drive takes you right past us if you DO NOT take the 90 (Skyway). Take 80/94 and then pick up I-94 when it splits off from I-80... To Chicago. Cheaper too! Chicago Skyway is highway robbery.

I am working that week 1st shift and during the weekend of the game, 0800-1600. Stop in and say hello... I can give you directions and a tour before or after the game. Too bad you weren't trailering a boat, you could take it from the canal inland... Boat to the game, tailgate on The Lake/harbor... Dock and then go to the game... Boat back... You'd have ZERO traffic @ all. You would never have to stay downtown and could get a cheap hotel in the South Suburbs or Indiana for well under a 100 a night!

Heck... If you are anywhere near Pitt and The Three Rivers... Jump in the boat and start heading to Chicago now! You'd make it in time!

;-P ;-P

EDIT: Actually, in all my years here... I never thought about taking a boat to the game and tailgating right on The Lake/Harbor... Launch many miles inland @ the lock or below... Then docking somewhere and walking to the game. The Chicago Loop Cruise (can Google it) is a great way to see the area/city and spend a day on the water... Heck, even if The Lake is rough, you can come right around the canals and get to Downtown without even stepping out onto the Lake... Just dock on the river and take a short walk or cab to the game... Boat back and avoid the mess of traffic.

We are flying in. Closer to Erie than Pittsburgh... Are you going to Lincoln Station Saturday night? We will be arriving Thursday morning, hitting the Cubs/Pirates game Friday night, Lincoln Station Saturday night, the game Sunday (if I can somehow acquire tickets) and flying out Monday.... Then prepping for the TBDHOT the following weekend... You should come out!!!

We are flying in. Closer to Erie than Pittsburgh... Are you going to Lincoln Station Saturday night? We will be arriving Thursday morning, hitting the Cubs/Pirates game Friday night, Lincoln Station Saturday night, the game Sunday (if I can somehow acquire tickets) and flying out Monday.... Then prepping for the TBDHOT the following weekend... You should come out!!!

Check your PM... Just shot one out to you... I don't want to derail this thread... LoL... It already smells like Kefir... ;-)