Anyone familiar with these food items: Kefir & Kombucha?

The Poojer

But isn't making kefir relatively inexpensive once you get the grains which can be had for free or close to free?

Personally, I'm a huge advocate of eating fermented foods.

That said, I don't do kombucha or kefir, for the simple reason that they are expensive, and I can easily ferment other foods myself for much less money and derive the same prebiotic gut benefits.

My three favorites:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-easy-homemade-sauerkraut-in-a-mason-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/naturally-fermented-dill-pickles/

http://www.savorylotus.com/fermented-ginger-carrots/

if you bought it at aldi, it could have been regular milk for them, pretty sure aldi re-packages expired foods and cuts the price

Agreed. I accidentally bought kefir from Aldi's once (thought I was buying a smoothie). Pretty bad. It has this odd spicy aftertaste. Not a fan.

Agreed. I accidentally bought kefir from Aldi's once (thought I was buying a smoothie). Pretty bad. It has this odd spicy aftertaste. Not a fan.

You'd be a perfect fit in Illinois, specifically Chicago. You made the store possessive. Illinois is the most mispronounced state in the union. They will scold you for pronouncing the silent "s" in Illinois but that pesky "s" shows up everywhere else along with its brother the apostrophe!

LoL... Just busting your hump JR... It's: Aldi as Pooj so subtly added.

;-P ;-P

if you bought it at aldi, it could have been regular milk for them, pretty sure aldi re-packages expired foods and cuts the price

LoL... Yeah, the fresh stuff gets to be @ Trader Joe's first. ;-)

Hey, that's an actual store that is possessive! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

You guys sound like my wife-- she's always ripping me for adding the "s" to Aldi!!

I used to do the same thing to "Kroger" when I used to shop at those when I lived in Indiana and Ohio.

I thought that was only a Chicago thing!

Soldier's Field

Jewel's (supermarket)

Every place especially the supermarkets get the apostrophe "S!"

Everything gets the possessive except the state name! Heck, even Des Plaines, IL is DES, unlike Des Moines. But, then again, DES Plaines would sound like Hervé Villechaize (Tattoo) saying: "Da plain, da plain!" Good call there to prempt disaster many years in advance by that town!

:D Am I rambling?

We have kombucha from time to time. It's salty as all heck.

I find it works better to think of it as a soup rather than as tea. My favorite way to consume kombucha is to pour it over steamed rice (which at that point makes it nearly indistinguishable from chazuke.)

PS: It's cheap out here (SoCal)

got my delivery of kefir grains and raw milk today, time to start making kefir...found some PA farm that delivers to the Philly area using drop points, my particular drop spot was at a lowes parking lot, pretty clandestine, but certainly cheap. we will see what happens...hopefully i won't catch ebola or anything