Best food options

jsswansonjr

I will be attending several home games for the first time (OH YEAH!!) and will be traveling from the south a long distance, would like some recommendations of places to eat both before and after the games. GO BILLS, lets have a great season. Thanks in advance.

Best place to eat before and after game is in the parking lot.

The night before we usually do Duffs or Big Tree. There is always a chance you will see former players if you do big tree. Seen Andre and Ruben Brown there many times among others.

Edited by FluffHead

Get wings, but please do not go to Anchor Bar or Duff's (massively overrated). Go to some place like Bar Bill (if you're out near the stadium), Gabriel's Gate (if you're downtown), or Elmo's (if you're in the northtowns).

Edited by thebandit27

Get wings, but please do not go to Anchor Bar or Duff's (massively overrated). Go to some place like Bar Bill (if you're out near the stadium), Gabriel's Gate (if you're downtown), or Elmo's (if you're in the northtowns).

I went to Anchor Bar last year and was very pleased with the quality of the wings, the coldness of the beer and the atmosphere/service.

I did not hear the same about Duff's, however.

I went to Anchor Bar last year and was very pleased with the quality of the wings, the coldness of the beer and the atmosphere/service.

I did not hear the same about Duff's, however.

Hmmm...perhaps they've improved; the last few times I went they were very run-of-the-mill.

Those are fighting words!

Sorry. I've had their wings probably 2 dozen times in my life, and each time they are soggy, slimy, and too vinegary.

I like a wing that's crispy and spicy. That's why Elmo's will always be #1 for me...aside from the variety of flavors, they fry, sauce, and then grill their wings. They stay nice and saucy but retain their perfect crispiness. The other two places do them quite well also.

Hmmm...perhaps they've improved; the last few times I went they were very run-of-the-mill.

Sorry. I've had their wings probably 2 dozen times in my life, and each time they are soggy, slimy, and too vinegary.

I like a wing that's crispy and spicy. That's why Elmo's will always be #1 for me...aside from the variety of flavors, they fry, sauce, and then grill their wings. They stay nice and saucy but retain their perfect crispiness. The other two places do them quite well also.

You can't order Duff's wings "Hot", as it comes in a wing sauce soup, so I do agree with you on that menu option. Their "medium-hot" is the same sauce but saucy not soupy and it's a plump and very crispy Hot chicken wing, the perfect Buffalo Style Hot Chicken wing in my opinion. I actually started a facebook page where I was reviewing chicken wings, but I got bored with it.

Some other decent options for wings....

9-11 Tavern in South Buffalo, Their hot wings are not hot though

Mammosers in Hamburg, Not a traditional Buffalo Style wing, but a good and interesting flavor

Doc Sullivans in South Buffalo, have a wing called the Smitty Wing, it's a South Buffalo thing.

Avoid Anchor Bar at all costs - Horrible!

Edited by ET1062

Beerball characterized Duff's (last year) the same way you did.

The wings at Anchor had good crisp, but weren't very hot. But the flavor was excellent.

I may try Elmo's. We have a local joint who ONLY cooks their wings in a brick oven and I think they taste ****ty.

What does grilling after frying do? I'm assuming something to do with getting the sauce through the skin more thoroughly?

Beerball characterized Duff's (last year) the same way you did.

The wings at Anchor had good crisp, but weren't very hot. But the flavor was excellent.

I may try Elmo's. We have a local joint who ONLY cooks their wings in a brick oven and I think they taste ****ty.

What does grilling after frying do? I'm assuming something to do with getting the sauce through the skin more thoroughly?

Frying and then grilling adds a little char and smokiness. Another level of flavor.

I LOVE this thread! When I get back to WNY for a game, I think I may enjoy the food even more than the actual football (the game day experience is separate from the football in my warped mind - and that experience is the reason I return). The game is three hours. The food is 3-4 days. And three meals a day doesn't cut it.... I just bounce around town from place to place and eat. Wings, pizza, beef on weck from all of my old places. Oh, and Ted's! I've taken each of my sons back (separately) for the whole experience. One had been to a Bills - Buc's game in Tampa a few weeks earlier. I asked my teenager "so how does this compare to your last Bills game?" as we helped set up the tail gate in the lot. His wide eyed response was "that did not compare to this at all in any way". We'd go out to dinner and start talking with random people and they thought the whole pilgrimage with the son thing was so cool they were begging us to join their tail gate so we could meet their group. That's a Bill's crowd at their best! I did take them both to the Anchor Bar "just because" and it was actually pretty good. The funny part was it was the first time I had stepped in the building. When I've gone by myself I wake up in the hotel and eat leftover Bocce's pizza for breakfast. I'll stop now... I'm hungry.

Edited by Augie

Mmmm...cold pizza for breakfast on game day is one of my favorite parts of making a Buffalo home opener pilgrimage.

Well, the pizza isn't as cold as the beer you wash it down with!

(With the kids it's more like you know... pancakes.)

I LOVE this thread! When I get back to WNY for a game, I think I may enjoy the food even more than the actual football (the game day experience is separate from the football in my warped mind - and that experience is the reason I return). The game is three hours. The food is 3-4 days. And three meals a day doesn't cut it.... I just bounce around town from place to place and eat. Wings, pizza, beef on weck from all of my old places. Oh, and Ted's! I've taken each of my sons back (separately) for the whole experience. One had been to a Bills - Buc's game in Tampa a few weeks earlier. I asked my teenager "so how does this compare to your last Bills game?" as we helped set up the tail gate in the lot. His wide eyed response was "that did not compare to this at all in any way". We'd go out to dinner and start talking with random people and they thought the whole pilgrimage with the son thing was so cool they were begging us to join their tail gate so we could meet their group. That's a Bill's crowd at their best! I did take them both to the Anchor Bar "just because" and it was actually pretty good. The funny part was it was the first time I had stepped in the building. When I've gone by myself I wake up in the hotel and eat leftover Bocce's pizza for breakfast. I'll stop now... I'm hungry.

I live in Miami & I do the same thing every time I come to Buffalo for any gm or just visiting, La Novas will and always have the best Bbq wings ever. For Hot wings Anchor bar, Jims for Steak Hoagy, Panos for breakfast and Sovlaki dinner, Ted's also a must, plus Ets & mighty for some tacos.. Damn I'm hungry right now