I hate Jeff Tuel; Not really hate, but you know what I mean

If betting was allowed, I'd bet everything I have on this. :)

If only Tuel could play against 2nd, 3rd, and practice squad teamers all the time.

You don't get it. Despite EJ having a better regular season and preseason qb ratings last year, Tuel is the better qb. Pay attention!

Stats don't matter. It's too early to make a ruling.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that its a situation where as long as you arent an extreme outlier, stats probably matters less.

his college record is a tough pill to swallow. i wont say its impossible, but are there any starters out there that have never even been .500 for a single college season? who is the last one? im honestly curious how rare it is (seems like it should be INCREDIBLY rare) and what makes tuel a likely exception to that trend

The more relevant question might be have there been other good backups out there with sub-500 college careers?

I don't know if there have been-- but may research it a little out of curiosity.

The more relevant question might be have there been other good backups out there with sub-500 college careers?

I don't know if there have been-- but may research it a little out of curiosity.

even outside the tuel discussion, im curious on an academic level about it at this point.

I got pretty deep in a top 50 list before hitting guys i had to check. even dan orlovsky was 8-4 with UCONN the year after they moved up to D1

I think the only example i saw was, ironically, thad -- who topped out at 5-7 at duke.

In all sports arguments, stats matter if they support your preconceived opinion, and they simply don't matter at all if for any reason they don't.

Haha. Well said. I'm sure if Tuel had a better qb rating than Manuel last year, the stats would matter. :)

even outside the tuel discussion, im curious on an academic level about it at this point.

I got pretty deep in a top 50 list before hitting guys i had to check. even dan orlovsky was 8-4 with UCONN the year after they moved up to D1

I think the only example i saw was, ironically, thad -- who topped out at 5-7 at duke.

Thanks for doing the leg work. So our backup qb battle is between possibly the only 2 under .500 college Qbs in the NFL? Awesome. :)

thad is the only I guy I found too!

I thought Jason Garrett at Princeton back in the day might be on a loser, but I think even he had a decent or two.

The one issue, however, is that a lot of QB's would transfer under circumstances similar to Tuel-- i.e., not a lot of guys would stick on a crappy team where you are getting killed and not really improving your draft stock.

hey man, do you mind? This is a tuel hate thread or a reason why not to hate on the guy. (Ok not that kind of hate, but you know what I mean. Football hate) This is not an attack on ej thread. If u dont mind.

Chan over Chin is a one trick pony...

Foles was 4-8 at Arizona his senior year. Historically, 5-7 at Duke is not a bad year.

Great pull. And you're right about Duke.

As for Foles, he had a winning record the first 2 years. He also put up monster numbers. I also believe his team's lack if success pushed him down in the draft.

Foles was 4-8 at Arizona his senior year. Historically, 5-7 at Duke is not a bad year.

thats still as many wins as tuel had in his career. and arizona was above .500 the year prior (7-6, and 8-5 the year prior to that)

ill agree on the duke point being better than normal -- though thad atleast fits the "never over .500 for a year, never in a bowl game, never won a lower level conference, never proven to be a winner" broad set of standards i laid out. apparently we employ the only 2. it was an odd twist that i never really thought of.

Edited by NoSaint

I make a prediction right now. Jeff Tuel

Will start more games for the Bills this year

Then EJ. I hope I'm wrong but at this moment in

Time EJ is not progressing like he should.

I'm not sure what's going on with him but

He just looks uninterested.

He does not give me confidence when I watch him play. Now Tuel not only gives my Confidence

But he looks the part and he knows what he's

Doing. Tuel knows how to make his reads and not get stuck on just the first read and then a dump off

Tuel makes his throws before the receiver

Makes his cut. EJ waits for the cut then when the

Receiver is open he throws it.

This will not work in the NFL. EJ has talent

But he needs to learn how to play QB

Tell me all you experts out there

Why can't EJ make throws to Wide outs before there open and they make there cut. EJ

Has a good arm and is smart. He just not seem

To a good QB sense about him.

All I know is EJ better get his act together soon

Or Tuel will be the Starter.

He does not give me confidence when I watch him play. Now Tuel not only gives my Confidence

Doing. Tuel knows how to make his reads and not get stuck on just the first read and then a dump off

Why can't EJ make throws to Wide outs before there open and they make there cut. EJ

Unfortunately, it's hard to argue with any of this.

The one issue, however, is that a lot of QB's would transfer under circumstances similar to Tuel-- i.e., not a lot of guys would stick on a crappy team where you are getting killed and not really improving your draft stock.

if he wouldve got his medical redshirt and transferred he couldve played another year elsewhere to help his stock, i believe. as a UDFA you have to think he wasnt seeing good college options at that point. I dont recall from the draft talks but was there any reason he wouldnt have been eligible for that?

edit: just read up and he wouldnt say that the staff wanted him to come back for the stanford game, so he wasnt going to be eligible.

Edited by NoSaint

8th grade is right around the corner! Be positive!

At this point I like Tuel over Lewis. He is getting better.

He can be a poor mans Frank Riech if he keeps this up.

I dont want to be the one to say he is showing more progress in this offense than E.J. but I wont go there even tho I just did. lol

if he wouldve got his medical redshirt and transferred he couldve played another year elsewhere to help his stock, i believe. as a UDFA you have to think he wasnt seeing good college options at that point. I dont recall from the draft talks but was there any reason he wouldnt have been eligible for that?

edit: just read up and he wouldnt say that the staff wanted him to come back for the stanford game, so he wasnt going to be eligible.

Was just going to post the same; here is the article I read on it. Say what you will about Tuel, but the guy seems loyal, probably to a fault and at his own expense.

http://seattletimes.com/html/cougarfootball/2019928579_tuel19.html

You maybe on to something here ....Tuel had the Chiefs beat last year until the INT in the end zone and that was a bad play call IMO

I honestly like Tuel and I see a kid working hard to get better. What's not to like about that? He is having a good camp and he performed well in pre season last year. I was sick to my stomach on that throw he made in the end zone last year but that is pretty much what you can expect from a rookie QB. I'm not saying he should be our starter but I will say if EJ doesn't progress this kid might eventually press him to be the guy. I am really hoping that is not the case and I have my fingers crossed that EJ becomes a top 10 QB one day. If we get average QB play we will be a playoff team. I would love to see EJ play average and give me hope for the future as he continues to develop. If he is awful and shows that he cannot sustain drives on a continuous basis then I expect Tuel to get his shot about half way through the season. Regardless, I think Tuel has the ability to be a very good back up and have a long career.