GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

Well, it won't be pretty, but last time UB came to Columbus Khalil Mack became a national sensation, so maybe the Bulls can gain some positive notoriety again to go along with the huge payday that comes with a game like this.

Edited by Willyville Guy

10 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Well, it won't be pretty, but last time UB came to Columbus Khalil Mack became a national sensation, so maybe the Bulls can gain some positive notoriety again to go along with the huge payday that comes with a game like this.

At least  Anthony Johnson will be gone by then! Will Tyree Jackson still be there or did he redshirt?

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Urban was right about this kid. Their interest in him diminished  his senior year because he lost focus... he felt like they weren’t giving him enough love so he flipped to TTUN. Ironically the kid OSU  flipped from Wisky to take his place just transferred to UNC but that’s because he wasn’t going to see the field with that RB group. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Urban was right about this kid. Their interest in him diminished  his senior year because he lost focus... he felt like they weren’t giving him enough love so he flipped to TTUN. Ironically the kid OSU  flipped from Wisky to take his place just transferred to UNC but that’s because he wasn’t going to see the field with that RB group. 

What that the last recruiting battle OSU "lost" to UM?

3 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

What that the last recruiting battle OSU "lost" to UM?

Donovan Peoples-Jones, Rashan Gary. Only ones that come to mind in recent years. As far as I recall they didn’t think Gary was ever in the mix for them though.

18 for '18: College football's fastest players

1. Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State

The Buckeyes' two-sport star is next in line among the parade of NFL draft prospects from the Ohio State DB room. But on the track, he's fearsome as well. Sheffield broke OSU's 60-meter dash indoor record earlier this year with a time of 6.663 seconds. That's the fastest 60 time of any player listed here.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000936388

On 6/9/2018 at 9:42 AM, ALF said:

18 for '18: College football's fastest players

1. Kendall Sheffield, CB, Ohio State

The Buckeyes' two-sport star is next in line among the parade of NFL draft prospects from the Ohio State DB room. But on the track, he's fearsome as well. Sheffield broke OSU's 60-meter dash indoor record earlier this year with a time of 6.663 seconds. That's the fastest 60 time of any player listed here.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000936388

I want to see him and Parris Campbell in a foot race 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Don’t shoot the messenger but rumor of some bad news coming. Don’t know who it is

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2018/06/93942/buckeye-footballer-in-trouble-with-law?page=27#new

Never sure what to make of this stuff,  but this is encouraging...

19 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Never sure what to make of this stuff,  but this is encouraging...

I saw that and breathed easier. But that guy on 11W has had stories right before they hit the news so i wonder. Fingers crossed.

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My wife, who is an OSU alum, got a pair of tickets for the 2018 Michigan/OSU game the weekend after Thanksgiving! Should be an interesting party!

Awesome. Is she a b-ball fan as well? On Friday night before The Game, the b-ball team will be playing a game in the old St John Arena for the first time since the 90s, which is a real college field house atmosphere (nothing like the giant, boring pro-like arena they play in now). It’s the same place they hold Skull Session before the football games, which is a “cant-miss” part of going to a game. Enjoy!!

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My wife grew up watching football with her OSU alum dad. Not so much B-Ball, but anything Buckeye! This will be only my second College football game. (Michigan @ Penn State, after a horrific snowstorm)(Penn St. won)

You are in for a real treat.  Standing in Ohio Stadium watching those teams and colors go at it is a unique experience. Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

My wife grew up watching football with her OSU alum dad. Not so much B-Ball, but anything Buckeye! This will be only my second College football game. (Michigan @ Penn State, after a horrific snowstorm)(Penn St. won)

There is always some kind of drama with The Game. Enjoy it all!

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This Zach Smith stuff is getting ugly 

I wonder if he's more trouble than he's worth. He gets all the wrong kinds of press, and his unit has underperformed in recent years.

But on the other hand, WR recruiting has been insane. He's also relatively inexpensive.  So, I guess keep him for now?

EDIT: Oh boy, I just read the Brett McMurphy piece about how far back this all goes.  Worse than I thought.  Smith needs to address it.

Edited by Willyville Guy
update

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I wonder if he's more trouble than he's worth. He gets all the wrong kinds of press, and his unit has underperformed in recent years.

But on the other hand, WR recruiting has been insane. He's also relatively inexpensive.  So, I guess keep him for now?

EDIT: Oh boy, I just read the Brett McMurphy piece about how far back this all goes.  Worse than I thought.  Smith needs to address it.

Reportedly he has been interviewing for several other postings this offseason, at Urban’s request. Looks like he’s been trying to get rid of him without firing him.

i agree he’s a good recruiter but I also think it’s not hard to recruit here... what they need to do more of is develop them once they are here and I’ve questioned how well that’s been done (just hard to say whether it’s on the QB or the WRs). They have Hartline on staff,  not sure if he’s ready to be promoted yet. 

Competition ?

QB Shea Patterson Ready to Be Michigan's Savior After Escaping Ole Miss Wreckage

His teammates see it. The fans in Ann Arbor, Michigan, do, too. Hell, anyone who follows college football knows this is the deal with the most important transfer of the 2018 college football season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788225-qb-shea-patterson-ready-to-be-michigans-savior-after-escaping-ole-miss-wreckage?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

11 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I knew there was something weird about the 2015 incident.... Well, if this is it then it's been a helluva run with Urban.

My first instinct is to move Schiano to HC, with Wilson/Day and Grinch as coordinators.

I hate to be so callous about it, but it is what it is. Terrible timing.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hate to be so callous about it, but it is what it is. Terrible timing.

I don't think you're being callous.  Urban plainly stated last week that he had no knowledge about the alleged 2015 incident between Zach Smith and his ex-wife Courtney.  McMurphy says text messages between Courtney and Shelley Meyer from 2015 prove that Shelley knew, and he says Shelley's knowledge proves that Urban knew.  Maybe that's right but it's not direct evidence of Urban's knowledge.  McMurphy further says that in text messages between Courtney and the wife of the OSU director of football operations, Courtney was told about a 2015 meeting between Urban and Zach about the incident.  That's also damning but the texts themselves are not direct evidence of any meeting. So the circumstantial evidence suggests Urban knew about the alleged incident in 2015, but I have not seen any direct evidence.

Back then, Earl Bruce -- former HC, Urban's father-like mentor, and Zach's grandfather -- was at the end of his life. Maybe Urban didn't want to do anything to upset Bruce before he passed. So the context is there for Urban to sit on whatever information he had. Again, speculative and circumstantial but it feels like it could be true.

In any event, it's about to get hot in the kitchen for Urban. Given the nature of the evidence, I don't think we can say for sure what he knew and didn't know.  Plenty of room for the Homers to say Urban didn't know; plenty of room for the Haters to say he clearly knew and lied about it. All I can say is that IF he knew about the 2015 incident between Zach and Courtney, took no action, and then flatly lied about it at media day last week... then Urban should not lead a great and proud program like Ohio State.

And in that case, send him packing and turn the keys over to Schiano. 

Edited by Willyville Guy
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

I don't think you're being callous.  Urban plainly stated last week that he had no knowledge about the alleged 2015 incident between Zach Smith and his ex-wife Courtney.  McMurphy says text messages between Courtney and Shelley Meyer from 2015 prove that Shelley knew, and he says Shelley's knowledge proves that Urban knew.  Maybe that's right but it's not direct evidence of Urban's knowledge.  McMurphy further says that in text messages between Courtney and the wife of the OSU director of football operations, Courtney was told about a 2015 meeting between Urban and Zach about the incident.  That's also damning but the texts themselves are not direct evidence of any meeting. So the circumstantial evidence suggests Urban knew about the alleged incident in 2015, but I have not seen any direct evidence.

Back then, Earl Bruce -- former HC, Urban's father-like mentor, and Zach's grandfather -- was at the end of his life. Maybe Urban didn't want to do anything to upset Bruce before he passed. So the context is there for Urban to sit on whatever information he had. Again, speculative and circumstantial but it feels like it could be true.

In any event, it's about to get hot in the kitchen for Urban. Given the nature of the evidence, I don't think we can say for sure what he knew and didn't know.  Plenty of room for the Homers to say Urban didn't know; plenty of room for the Haters to say he clearly knew and lied about it. All I can say is that IF he knew about the 2015 incident between Zach and Courtney, took no action, and then flatly lied about it at media day last week... then Urban should not lead a great and proud program like Ohio State.

And in that case, send him packing and turn the keys over to Schiano. 

His nickname at his previous stops was Urban Liar........now you Buckeye fans will be calling him that too.

Huge blow to the Ohio State football program.

15 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

I feel like we just discussed him a few months ago and decided that he's not close to ready.  Plus, there are two guys on staff ready to go!

One theory is that they know they aren’t giving the permanent gig to either one, so if Urban is gone then they have a reason to hire from the outside 

is Tress’s show cause up yet? :)

Edited by YoloinOhio

Regarding Ryan Day, it might be difficult to put schiano in there given the circumstances and Penn state allegations in his past. It’s not fair but would make the university look tone deaf. Same with Wilson and IU stuff. Day provides no questions/distractions. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1