GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

The divide, as I understand it, is really between Tressel-era people and Urban-era people. Vrabel played for Cooper, and I don’t think Buckeyes from the 90s really fall into either camp.  (Bruce-era Buckeyes may tend to support Urban because of his time with the program back then.)  He’s kind of an enigma to me.  I liked him for stepping up for Fickell when the team was in disarray, but he’s never been one of the solid guys around the program from that era like, for example, Matt Finkes.  Joey, on the other hand, is part of a family with an unimpeachable commitment to Ohio State. So if Joey thinks Vrabel is BS, I give that a lot of weight. 

That said, I agree 100% about the rigors of CFB and life on the road. Taking a sweet NFL position and relieving himself of the travel must have been very attractive to Coombs, who was never going to run his own program, regardless of Vrabel and his relationship with OSU. 

Separately, I see that several Buckeye insiders view Day as a Tom Herman type of coach — maybe even a successor to Urban. I’m not quite there. Day came in to fix the QB position, and in my view he didn’t do it last year. I see the accolades from JT and Burrow and others, and the Chip Kelly endorsement is significant, but the evidence wasn’t on the field in 2017. Herman, by contrast, got the offense going immediately.  And his press conferences were must-see internet because he was so smart and forthright about what was happening and why. I don’t see any of that in Day right now. 

I definitely can’t see Day succeeding Urban (at this point) but could see him going to a program like say, BC, where he spent some time. I honestly have no idea who could succeed Urban if he hung it up. Tom Herman comes to mind, but he’s alreasy at a destination type program. None of the current assistants are attractive to lead this type of program. For all of the times I criticize Urban, I don’t even want to think about the post-Urban Era. 

Schiano reportedly interviewing for Pats DC after the SB... I called this one awhile ago, as soon as Grinch was hired here and Patricia rumored to leave. But losing Coombs was unexpected. Losing both would be ... not ideal. Very glad most of our class signed in December!!

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Schiano reportedly interviewing for Pats DC after the SB... I called this one awhile ago, as soon as Grinch was hired here and Patricia rumored to leave. But losing Coombs was unexpected. Losing both would be ... not ideal. Very glad most of our class signed in December!!

What’s this about another potential commit from an in state RB?

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not ideal. But this is why Urban has two coordinators on both sides of the ball, right?  We’ll see how it plays out - there are plenty of great coaches looking to step into the NFL on-deck circle in Columbus. 

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What’s this about another potential commit from an in state RB?

Tavion Thomas from Dayton. Originally committed to Oklahoma but there is a grade issue. He’s visiting Ohio State but I think he might need to go the JC route first. There is interest from OSU though.

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was hoping that the UT situation would but at least another season for Schiano in Columbus. Coombs & Schiano is not ideal at all but I’m excited about Grinch. He’s a good coach and he will need to prove to be a good recruiter because they are losing a ton there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2018 at 1:01 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Dante Booker transferring! Hallelujah - looks like they told him he’s not starting (GOOD). Bring on the young beasts.

https://www.landof10.com/ohio-state/ohio-state-football-dante-booker-expected-transfer

headed  back to Coach Fick at UC. Good move all around.

where is this one now? staying or going?

• 4 weeks later...

Joe Burrow will not go away.  He beat out Haskins for the backup role last year before the hand injury; and this year, when everyone (including Meyer) is ready to anoint Haskins and allow Burrow to move on to Nebraska or wherever, the kid will just not back down.  Haskins appears to be the best pure passer,  Martell is the best runner, but Burrow can do both.  Unless Urban is truly ready to move away from the QB-run heavy zone read, and it's tough to imagine that he is, then Joe B. may still be in the mix for starting QB at Ohio State.  Incredible, really.

P.S. I still think Haskins wins in the end because his arm and confidence in his leadership qualities offer the highest upside.  Hopefully, Wilson\Day convince Urban that it's best to run with their RBs and throw with their QB(s).

Edited by Willyville Guy

I’m getting worried because while i think it’s possible Urban is just trying to motivate Haskins, some reporters have intimated that he values “fiery” leadership and running ability in a QB moreso than passing ability. Haskins has displayed neither but Martell has. Burrow is in the middle - he is more of an Alex Smith type. Haskins is the best QB in that group but I worry about urban’s “type”. He scares me.

It's a nice thought to give Burrow an opportunity to go start immediately somewhere else as a grad. transfer if he doesn't win the starting job at Ohio State.  Talking about it with Burrow's family and at press conferences shows that the coaches have a ton of respect for him.  But as a fan of the team I'd rather have all the QBs on the roster this upcoming season because you just never know how it's going to go. 

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

It's a nice thought to give Burrow an opportunity to go start immediately somewhere else as a grad. transfer if he doesn't win the starting job at Ohio State.  Talking about it with Burrow's family and at press conferences shows that the coaches have a ton of respect for him.  But as a fan of the team I'd rather have all the QBs on the roster this upcoming season because you just never know how it's going to go. 

If Haskins gets hurt and Burrow is gone we are down to Tate Martell and a true freshman currently rehabbing a torn ACL. I think Baldwin just had his surgery in January. We really would have no depth of Burrow left. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spring game thoughts 

- unbelievably loaded at RB

- Burrow is going to transfer 

- Urban is going to have a hard time keeping Martell off the field. He will play, somehow some way.

- Haskins looks jacked up. Impressive build for a QB

-DL will be better this year than last year. Maybe not quite as deep in the rotation, but the starters are filthy

- oL is going to be a work in progress. I’m worried, there is a lot of good young talent but replacing jamarco jones and billy price wont be seamless 

- we are loaded at WR.... will it finally matter?

-Emmitt Smith was there with his son who is a big time 2020 RB recruit 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:38 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I almost forgot — DeMario McCall in the slot :wub:

This was going to be my only note to add to yours.

Right now I'm dreaming of Haskins at QB with Dobbins next to him; Campbell\DeMario at the H spot; Hill and Mack outside.  

The receiver room is pretty crowded and I feel like McLaurin and Victor are on the outside looking in. 

As for the d-line, yeah that unit is going to win games for this team.  Dre'mont Jones did the Buckeyes a tremendous service by coming back, and it could certainly pay off for him in next year's draft.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

RIP Earle Bruce :(

best dotting of the I in history 

biting my lip there..... for Earle it is the next two weeks

in a nutshell how's the team looking, i vow to give more time to Big Ten top games this year

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

biting my lip there..... for Earle it is the next two weeks

in a nutshell how's the team looking, i vow to give more time to Big Ten top games this year

They look amazing :) Work to do on the OL and the other starting safety role next to Jordan Fuller.

qB battle is the big story. Not sure when the decision will be made between Haskins and Burrow. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They look amazing :) Work to do on the OL and the other starting safety role next to Jordan Fuller.

qB battle is the big story. Not sure when the decision will be made between Haskins and Burrow. 

thanks, will keep this all in mind, most around me are Michigan fans...

• Sad 1

The Bucks were excited about Williams when he was signed... he was the one they flipped from Wisconsin after that one kid from NJ ended up flipping from OSU to TTUN... Kareem Walker. He hasn’t  done anything there but I digress. Williams definitely wasn’t going to see the field with this RB group. He’s a good player and hope he does well at UNC, I believe he’s from NC. 

On 2018-04-28 at 9:44 PM, Reks Ryan said:

I agree, it would be great to see Milwaukee make it through to the 2nd round.  But history is against them with  the Celtics Game 7 record at home.

GO BUCKS!

The other bucks 

• 2 weeks later...

Florida, LSU, Nebraska, UCLA, UC named as options. 2 years of eligibility left. The reality is the job was always Haskins to lose. Wish him the best. Unfortunately it leaves us very thin at QB depth, with the freshman kid from Lake Travis rehabbing from ACL.

columbus radio is on fire. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

My buddy is a HS coach in the area and went to a few of the spring practices. He said Burrow was definitely the best of the 3, from a consistency standpoint. Haskins had some wow throws but some bad ones too. Unfortunately he says Martell makes JT Barrett look like Dan Marino from a passing perspective. Yikes. But I still expected this move. I knew it would be Haskins. Burrow was behind him on th depth chart even after his hand healed last year. I think urban just sees more upside in Haskins. He stepped up in the biggest moment and that will be tough for Urban to forget. He’s big on trusting his QB and Haskins earned his trust vs TTUN. He’s been discussed like a slightly less mobile, but bigger, Deshaun Watson. He has an nfl arm and body. Burrow always reminded me of Alex Smith. 

Martell is intriguing. He was billed as a Russell Wilson/Baker Mayfield blend but his passing is going to have to improve. He is very driven to compete though so I think they will get the best out of him. Ryan Day as qb coach makes me sleep easy. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It isn’t the worst situation ever. I wish Burrow nothing but the best. Haskins - Martell - Baldwin isn’t the worst situation ever. That’s plenty of depth. I don’t see a grad transfer coming in to be 3rd on the depth chart.

Clearly not the worst situation ever.  That was the Steve Bellisari\Austin Moherman competition in the late-90s :D

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around Baldwin on the three-deep, though.  The kid's in high-school nursing an ACL right now. The thought of him playing on Saturdays this fall is pretty wild.  I guess I expected him to disappear into the gym with Coach Mick for about 18 months before really starting to evaluate his viability.

A lot of this will depend on the offense.  Haskins as the starter suggests that we will finally see Kevin Wilson's offense featuring a more pro-style passing game that exposes the QB to fewer big hits.  But if Urban ends up reverting to the zone read and making his QBs run slow zones up the middle over and over like he has in the past... well, that depth chart would become pretty scary for me in a hurry. 

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My buddy is a HS coach in the area and went to a few of the spring practices. He said Burrow was definitely the best of the 3, from a consistency standpoint. Haskins had some wow throws but some bad ones too. Unfortunately he says Martell makes JT Barrett look like Dan Marino from a passing perspective. Yikes. But I still expected this move. I knew it would be Haskins. Burrow was behind him on th depth chart even after his hand healed last year. I think urban just sees more upside in Haskins. He stepped up in the biggest moment and that will be tough for Urban to forget. He’s big on trusting his QB and Haskins earned his trust vs TTUN. He’s been discussed like a slightly less mobile, but bigger, Deshaun Watson. He has an nfl arm and body. Burrow always reminded me of Alex Smith. 

Martell is intriguing. He was billed as a Russell Wilson/Baker Mayfield blend but his passing is going to have to improve. He is very driven to compete though so I think they will get the best out of him. Ryan Day as qb coach makes me sleep easy. 

Ugh.  I expect Martell to be like Braxton.  Absolutely electric in space and a competent passer.  I hope your friend is wrong about the passing :wacko: