Marshawn Lynch holding out

I hate to say it but it wouldn't surprise me if this was an "I need cash now" issue. On that front, who knows though. He could be great with his money.

Sort of like Desean Jackson. Let this be a warning to all those who draft a player from California.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Once the guaranteed money is paid, it essentially isn't a contract anymore. Seattle can walk away from it, but Lynch can't. Surprised players union hasn't pushed NFL to change this.

Still a contract. That lynch granted them 2 option years, essentially, is a decision he made. Any player that wanted to could sacrifice the high end dollars for a contract that pays less but is fully guaranteed.

Marshawn also did himself no favors with his legal issues and Seattle still stepped up to guarantee 2 years and his signing bonus on a 4 year deal paying him top 5 money. It's not like they have done him wrong.

Lynch is thought to be a great guy by a lot of people. Read the MMQB article about the Bills equipment manager and what Lynch did. The Bills players loved him. Fred Ex, perhaps the most widely respected guy anywhere, is still good friends with Lynch and they talk all the time. Fred simply would not do that if Lynch was a dick.

Surely, when he was in Buffalo he did some dumb ass things. That is inarguable. He was also pulled over by the Buffalo police over 50 times according to a very very good source, and never got one ticket, so maybe he had some reasons for not playing nice. He's just a different breed of cat, but it seems like the people who know him really like him and the people that don't seem to think he's a total jerk. Hmmmm...

Still a contract. That lynch granted them 2 option years, essentially, is a decision he made. Any player that wanted to could sacrifice the high end dollars for a contract that pays less but is fully guaranteed.

Marshawn also did himself no favors with his legal issues and Seattle still stepped up to guarantee 2 years and his signing bonus on a 4 year deal paying him top 5 money. It's not like they have done him wrong.

Agree. NFL should call the years that fall outside the guaranteed portion of the contract a club option. I think if worded that way, players would demand more guaranteed money and it would avoid a lot more situations like this. As it is, NFL contracts are decidedly one-sided in favor of teams/ownership. No such thing as a player option in NFL, at least that I'm aware.

Agree. NFL should call the years that fall outside the guaranteed portion of the contract a club option. I think if worded that way, players would demand more guaranteed money and it would avoid a lot more situations like this. As it is, NFL contracts are decidedly one-sided in favor of teams/ownership. No such thing as a player option in NFL, at least that I'm aware.

Spiller has one next year.

I think you undersell the intelligence of players and agents in that post.

And KtD is right on spiller having an option

Edited by NoSaint

Spiller has one next year.

Disagree. That's simply free agency. If Spiller has another down year or god-forbid gets hurt, he's not getting much of anything from Bills or anyone else. A true player option would be Spiller having the right to opt-in to a fully guaranteed contract with the Bills. Obviously, NFL players will never have the power that NBA players have, but right now NFL players have little power. In a sport as violent as football, players are right to get as much as they can up-front, but in my opinion teams take advantage of that short-term thinking and players correctly assuming they might not even physically last the length of the contract.

Disagree. That's simply free agency. If Spiller has another down year or god-forbid gets hurt, he's not getting much of anything from Bills or anyone else. A true player option would be Spiller having the right to opt-in to a fully guaranteed contract with the Bills. Obviously, NFL players will never have the power that NBA players have, but right now NFL players have little power. In a sport as violent as football, players are right to get as much as they can up-front, but in my opinion teams take advantage of that short-term thinking and players correctly assuming they might not even physically last the length of the contract.

He has the right to opt in to a 5-6+ Million dollar contract. I think it's the amount of the transition tag. That is a player option.

Lynch is thought to be a great guy by a lot of people. Read the MMQB article about the Bills equipment manager and what Lynch did. The Bills players loved him. Fred Ex, perhaps the most widely respected guy anywhere, is still good friends with Lynch and they talk all the time. Fred simply would not do that if Lynch was a dick.

Surely, when he was in Buffalo he did some dumb ass things. That is inarguable. He was also pulled over by the Buffalo police over 50 times according to a very very good source, and never got one ticket, so maybe he had some reasons for not playing nice. He's just a different breed of cat, but it seems like the people who know him really like him and the people that don't seem to think he's a total jerk. Hmmmm...

Here, here. I always thought Marshawn was a good dude. He is a quiet hard worker and He made fewer dumb decisions than I did.

Yup and it's funny how many fans get on a player for getting every penny out of billionaires.

But its also funny to hear football players (millionaires) complain about not getting paid enough while stating they are "blue collar." You make $5 million a year, you signed the contract, you haven't significantly improved since signing it. You should easily be able to live off 1 million if you invested it intelligently. There is no reason for him to hold out.

I generally agree, but players do have agents. These agents generally have law degrees. These agents make a commission off of what the player makes. So I'm guessing the agents explain this to the players. Although the players should try to get as much guaranteed $ as possible up front, and then invest 1/2 of it. You can still live like a baller with the rest. Lynch could just ask for a $2 mill bonus and invest that--be set for life. Can play around with his money from football however he wants.

He has the right to opt in to a 5-6+ Million dollar contract. I think it's the amount of the transition tag. That is a player option.

Transition tags and franchise tags are tools that teams have to restrict free agency for players. There's no guarantee Bills will tag Spiller. In 99% of cases tag is used, player would get more guaranteed money in free agency.

Once the guaranteed money is paid, it essentially isn't a contract anymore. Seattle can walk away from it, but Lynch can't. Surprised players union hasn't pushed NFL to change this.

Who says Lynch can't walk away from it? Plenty of available jobs in the want ads.

Nothing more mind-boggling than Buffalo Bills fans pining for the players union to win guaranteed contracts rights. How's that working out for the KC Royals?

Transition tags and franchise tags are tools that teams have to restrict free agency for players. There's no guarantee Bills will tag Spiller. In 99% of cases tag is used, player would get more guaranteed money in free agency.

Wasn't talking about that. I meant that the player options in these contracts in the last year jump up from their original deal. According to rotoworld, Spiller could make up to 12m if he took the player option and hit all his incentives.

"8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663 (Player Option), 2016: Free Agent"

Who says Lynch can't walk away from it? Plenty of available jobs in the want ads.

Nothing more mind-boggling than Buffalo Bills fans pining for the players union to win guaranteed contracts rights. How's that working out for the KC Royals?

Not sure what guaranteed contracts have to do with competitive imbalance. Revenue sharing and salary caps are what level the playing field.

Here is a pic of his lambo with velvet ropes around it. Rapsheet tweeted that yesterday. Doesn't look too frugal to me ;)

post-19968-0-24787500-1406253451_thumb.jpg

Well, a man has to get around, doesn't he? I like him even more now. No fug gin crown vic with 20's,lol. That is a bad mfn ride! And relatively speaking, that is probably more affordable than my Maxima. Gas mileage, and all...

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER